Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The one item you would not go without... >

The one item you would not go without...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The one item you would not go without...

Old 04-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The one item you would not go without...

I think the most important and most overlooked thing in elk hunting is a good pair of boots. Hike 10 miles a day for a few days and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're a deer hunter you'll find you'll probably do a lot more walking and most people just don't think about that. You want the most comfortable waterproof boot you can afford to buy.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 AM

You have a very good point! If you have the wrong type or kind of boot your hunting trip could be over sooner than you want. Whites Boot company is the way to go on boots!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good wool socks,a small bic lighter in your pocket,and a warm hat we do get snow in September,so beprepared for the worst.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

If you have done trips of this nature in the past then you should know what to expect.
How long has it been since you have been here? We have had some fires in the last few years that may effect the area you wish to hunt. For better or worse.
I would concentrate on the area your going to hunt,by scouting it out or by getting some locals info.
They are calling for yet another dry season which could spell disaster for an area you havent scouted or know nothing about. They have closed the forest down in the past due to fire danger. Have a back up area.
In the case of an unknown area... map and GPS with plenty of batteries.
So the answer to your question would be knowlege of the area you wish to hunt unless your just going for a picnic.
Good Luck
Old 04-28-2004, 01:35 PM
eck

I like the GPS idea... and the recommendation to get to know how to use it BEFORE you need to use it.

When I bought mine, I spent 'bout 6-8 hrs straight reading the manual and trying everything on the GPS... until I was proficient at it all. Nuthin' worse than tryin' to figure out an electronic device when you're all stressed out and tired.

Also... if the area that you'll be hunting has ANY road near by... drive them with your GPS on... and then "save" the routes into the memory.

If you ever get lost (or fogged in... or whatever), you can simply recall the road route(s) onto your GPS screen... and simply track yourself as you walk... and then adjust your track to intersect the road. I've got all the nearby roads saved in my GPS's memory.

Also, even if you get and take a GPS with you, take a compass as well. Doing a "Go To" on your GPS... getting the distance and the bearing... using your compass, you can set the bearing and sight in a target. Without a compass, you have to track yourself for a while to see what direction you're heading in... and then adjust... which is a nuisance IMO.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:20 PM

My one item? I've been without a GPS for years before they were invented, so that's a want, not a need. Definitely need food, shelter, water, gun, and license. But back to my one item...ready...it's Wet Ones. Or baby wipes if you will. They give you a wipe shower, clean your hands and tools after field dressing, and most importantly---the do a GREAT job of cleaning your bottom after doing your business. If millions of babys use 'em, they can't be wrong!!! I've been using them for years and if you try them, you'll never go back to tp in the outdoors.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:07 PM

Toilet paper!

Good Luck hunting!!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:09 PM

LMAO!! You beat me to the punch - guess I better read the whole thread first.

Depending on the season Fall/Winter make sure your stuff is waterproof, get some good optics. Boots do make the trip and good wool socks help prevent blisters.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

lol hunter/gatherer how could of we forgot the most important thing of all.

As a youngster my tshirts and long johns were always missing a piece or two. Lmao Never forget the tp.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't go on any hunt without letting someone at home know exactly where your camp is & a check in date/time. Your life could count on it.
If everyone got snowed in you would ALL be in need of help..

Quick Reply: The one item you would not go without...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.