Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

not for the wolf lovers

Old 04-22-2004, 07:41 AM
DM

Default RE: not for the wolf lovers

Hey plainsman,

Maybe you don't mind haveing a wolf in your hunting area, but how about in your back yard??????????????????????? That's the problem, they won't stay in your hunting area!!!! There use to be dinasours ect.. here too, you want to bring them back too??????????

"If" you want to see a wolf, go to a zoo, or better yet, head for the Alaskan or Canadian bush!!!! Don't stick me with YOUR desire to see a wolf, as i've already seen plenty, and i've also seen what they can and WILL do to an area once they settle in!!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 AM

Being and Idahoan I have an up close and personal response to the wolf debate. I have looked closely at both sides of the argument and have followed the wolf re-introduction efforts for this state.

I agree with some of you with the fact that a wolf has every right to be here as we do. Unlike the dinosaurs, mammoths, and sabertooth tigers, the wolves were taken to near extinction by un-natural means. Therefore, to some degree, I agree to try to preserve the speicies from extinction by re-introduction. Not just to see the speicies restored to the wild, but also allow for future hunting and trapping opertunities in the lower 48.

However, I strongly disagree with the way that they went about the re-introduction process.

First off, in Idaho, they introduced a different species of wolf. They used Canadian wolves, a larger breed of wolf than the original species that roamed this area. These larger wolves (about 30 to 50 lbs heavier than the original breed) are a more dominant predator that target the larger animals (elk herds). This more dominant breed has taken off in numbers since the introduction in the late 80's, early 90's. The elk have been hit the hardest by the wolf population boom. The elk herds of Idaho have decreased 30% in size since the re-introduction. The wolf has also pushed the couger out of the back country into more populated areas, and we are seeing more couger related instances (attacks on dogs, children, and some adults) causing the knee jerk reaction of killing the couger responsible for the attacks.

Secondly, I am upset with the way the government has handled the control of the population, or lack thier of. Until recently it was a federal crime to shoot a wolf. I could understand that back when they were in danger of extinction, but the change in control laws have been too slow in the process to keep up with the population boom. Today the Idaho wolf packs are strong and threatening to be overpopulated in the predator to prey ratio. The general public can shoot a wolf only if the wolf threatens you, your family, or your property. The federal government is now waiting for the States to come up with a plan for control. The problem with this is the 3 States involved (Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming) have to all have a plan at the same time. So as the control efforts are wrapped up in red tape, the wolves continue to breed unchecked.

Finally, one of Idaho's main incomes is from tourism, and a good chunk if that is hunting dollars from the elk hunts. The wolves main prey is elk (remember the 30% decrease in elk population). The economic effects of the wolf re-introduction has already been felt.

Eventually there will be a control measure, but unfortunatly it is comming to late. The damage has been done just to appease the minority "environmentalists" who want to hear the cry of the wolf.

Do you know what is next on their adgenda? The re-introduction of the grizzly bear. They'll probably ship some Alaskan Browns down for that one.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:03 AM
jjt

jjt, what makes you supperior to wolves
the fact that i am an upright walking, living, breathing, and thinking HUMAN

plainsman your not one of those PETA tards who think animals are above humans are you??
Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jjt

jjt, what makes you supperior to wolves
the fact that i am an upright walking, living, breathing, and thinking HUMAN

plainsman your not one of those PETA tards who think animals are above humans are you??
What!!??....are you f@c!ed in the head??Do a search on my posts and you'll get your answer to that. I just happen to believe wolves have as much right to exist as any other animal.I've had numerous encounter with WILD wolves while elk hunting and never ever felt the least bit threatened.....not once!!! Wolves are predators and predators kill....it's their instinct and means of survival. No animal should be condemed for it's instinct. Do you want to kill every bear you see.... or eagle,bobcat etc. Should all predators be killed for doing what comes naturally??
As for you DM, a few well placed shots over their heads or at their feet will definately help educate them to stay out of the "backyard".It works for coyotes and other predators as well as wolves.
Dinosaurs huh? How much for a tag?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Man some people just can`t hunt elk and deer when they have competition from wolves. Instead of bitching about them LEARN TO HUNT!! Hell we`ve always had wolves and we have lots of deer and moose and I think Alberta still has lots of elk. The anti wolf movement has done more to help PETA then the seal hunt. Trouthunter, can you post a link about the Canadian wolves that are geneticly different from the wolves in the Lower 48. Other than the Red Wolf that lives in the Carolinas I thought all were Grey wolves.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:36 PM

I am far superior to the wolf, I can reason far better than the wolf. I can grow my own food, preserve it, and have learned how to feed the world in the least amount of space. I have taught man to fish so I no longer have to feed him. He has become self sufficient. I (man) have created solutions to problems that threaten my survival.

The wolf ? Does not reason, cares only for it's own kind and survival and does not share in helping other species to survive. A wolf will not teach other predators how to feed themselves. A wolf does not care if I survive or not. A wolf will kill until there is nothing left to kill.

I (man) AM the balance of nature. I learned my lesson and self regulated myself. I learned another lesson and regulated the wolf. I am superior to ALL animal species, God gave me dominion over ALL animals on the earth.

They (the wolf) were controlled before and they will be controlled again. Regardless of what feel gooders think.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:39 AM

All bow to me, for I am man.I am all powerful...I can and have detroyed thousands of lives in one fell swoop. I can reason how to create war...how to rob banks and stores...how to rape that 14yr. old girl at the playground....how much heroine I need for a day and who to kill to get it. I can create and preserve food....just in case someone bombs me before I get them, my shelter must be well supplied.I have learned to destroy life with bullets,by splitting atoms and creating bio-chemical warfare.All bow at my feet...for I am far superior to all living creatures....and if anything gets in my way, just watch me exterminate it.....because I can. I am the supreme being.I am man
Old 04-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

The wolf ? Does not reason, cares only for it's own kind and survival and does not share in helping other species to survive.
In reading the rest of your post you sure seem to resemble this statement.

Comparing a wolf or any other animal to humans is like comparing apples to a television set.

I (man) have created solutions to problems that threaten my survival.
Yep and right along with these solutions we simply create a never ending list of new and larger problems.

I (man) AM the balance of nature.
Yeah, Man has done such a good job so far. From New York City to nuclear weapons we sure know how to ballance this world huh.

The wolf ? Does not reason,
Actually wolves are incredibly intelligent animals. Far more intelligent than you want to give them credit for.

A wolf does not care if I survive or not.
Why should it care if you survive or not. You don't care if it survives or not.

I learned my lesson and self regulated myself.
This is one of the biggest fallacies I have heard in a looooooooooooong time. Man is far from being self regulated. Please spare us this hog wash.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:01 AM
DM

"a few well placed shots over their heads or at their feet will definately help educate them to stay out of the "backyard".

Get REAL!!! we have a coyote problem where i live NOW, and all the "shooting around them" does, is to teach them to be sneaky(er)!! The only way i've found to fix the problem is, to aim AT THEM, not around them!!!

Years ago a biologist friend told me, they (coyotes) would only be so brazen if "they had a problem"!!! (rabies or something like that) After i shot and delivered a few to him for "inspection", he finally told me, "just shoot them, don't bring them to me"!!!

Compared to wolves, coyotes are pissants!!! Bigger predator, bigger problem!!! Just thank your lucky stars that bears don't run in packs!!! AND, that they don't have to eat all winter!!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

WOW reading these posts is like watching Apes bang their chest for dominance.
REINTRODUCTION! Should have never happend. Use your common sense man.They were killed off for a reason
Man has encroached on all the Elk and Deer habit pushing them into the woods. They can no longer have the range they once did. They are all bottled up like fish in a barrel. Now we put in the Wolf to go unchecked.....
The Wolf will work just not here in the lower 48 if you want a huntable population of other game species.[:@]
The Elk were once a plains animal. If you want the Wolf reintroduced set an example for us all and move to Mexico so that you can start the proccess of giving the land back to the animals.

Quick Reply: not for the wolf lovers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.