Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I Am Outraged !#%^@&

Old 04-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I Am Outraged !#%^@&

so all you non poisoners tell me how you are supposed to deal with wolves here in wyoming. your not supposed to shoot them, the hole i moved in there territorey dont work because they were not here when i move to wy, my grandparents had rid the land of them
How you are suppose to deal with the wolves is have a hunting season for them and keep their numbers in check that way.

No offence jjt, but IMO your grandparents and people like them are the reason why we are having the problems with them now. People either want then 100% gone or want them 100% protected. Maybe had they not irradicated them from the entire area in the first place and instead come up with some sensable management plan to deal with them you wouldn't be fighting with the people that want them 100% protected now.

Remember that your family moved into their land. Not the other way around. You brought the dinner plate to the wolves. It's a real pitty that you can't live with the wolves. You don't have the right to shoot or poison off an entire species that lives on the same land as you just because you have cattle there. The wolves didn't ask you to bring the cattle there so they could eat them. They are simply following their instincts and eating. Put up a fence to keep them out if it's that much of a problem.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:35 PM
jjt

No offence jjt, but IMO your grandparents and people like them are the reason why we are having the problems with them now. People either want then 100% gone or want them 100% protected. Maybe had they not irradicated them from the entire area in the first place and instead come up with some sensable management plan to deal with them you wouldn't be fighting with the people that want them 100% protected now.
or maybee if they had not stopped at the canadian border, the problem would be solved

put up a fence that is a great idea and let see first there is the time and money ( a couple strings of barbed wire will not keep out a wolf)

then there is the fact that if you(wolf proof stops deer elk and antelope also) fence off 80,000 acres that the deer elk and antelope winter on i am killing 100s maybee 1000s of ungulates

all the ranches around me have problems with deer elk and antelope yet we understand they need a place to winter be it very costly to us somewhere you got to draw the line and when they start eating livestock (source of income) that is the line

i dont care what peta or the rest of the wolf lovers think

if they become a problem YOU have to deal with them the government is not going to help or give you any other means so you find away to semi leagaly take care of the problem

the initial issue was 100 wolves inside the barrier of the park they are now pushing 7-800 with no control in sight

so i look at ist as the US fish and game has pretty much screwed us as far as i am allowing
we (WY)have put forth a very good management plan and it was regected so now we wait and wait and wait
well now it is calving season and i am tired of waiting
Old 04-04-2004, 09:36 PM

Bears!......bears!......bears! Politicians!......politicians!......politicians! We're talking about bears & damn politicians - not wolves. gg
Old 04-04-2004, 09:37 PM
jjt

also big bulls

you might inquire as to colorados wolf management plan as they are almost there

there was several cows and sheep confirmed to be killed by wolves in the rawlins area in 03-04 winter
Old 04-04-2004, 09:52 PM

jjt,

I grew up on a ranch and though solidly anchored in the city now, I empathize with your prospective. Unless you are out on land trying to earn a living and are having to deal with the government AND the wolves you just don't know what you are missing.

Regarding wolf "management" plans:

I heard one fellow who advocated the "3 S" approach to wolf management:
(1) shoot, (2) shovel, (3) shut up....

only slightly different from the government programs of yester year (are we SURE they were wrong?).....
(1) shoot, (2) drag it to town, (3) get paid.

Sorry, GG arguably similar government stupidity down here in the lower 48. Regarding bears around here, they've eliminated the spring hunt and dogs and bait are no longer legal and now they are complaining about burgeoning populations of marauding bears.... duh.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

if they become a problem YOU have to deal with them the government is not going to help or give you any other means so you find away to semi leagaly take care of the problem......................
........................the initial issue was 100 wolves inside the barrier of the park they are now pushing 7-800 with no control in sight
so i look at ist as the US fish and game has pretty much screwed us as far as i am allowing
we (WY)have put forth a very good management plan and it was regected so now we wait and wait and wait well now it is calving season and i am tired of waiting
arguably similar government stupidity down here in the lower 48. Regarding bears around here, they've eliminated the spring hunt and dogs and bait are no longer legal and now they are complaining about burgeoning populations of marauding bears.... duh.
That's the whole problem right there. No one that's in charge of this type of thing has enough common sense to realize before hand that eventually they will need to be kept at a manageable and healthy population and that means allowing a specific number of them to be legally killed each year. They prefer to wait until it becomes a huge problem on the other end of the spectrum. People are either for total protection or total irradication but it just doesn't work that way. Same goes with bears and mountain lions.

all the ranches around me have problems with deer elk and antelope yet we understand they need a place to winter be it very costly to us somewhere you got to draw the line and when they start eating livestock (source of income) that is the line
Like everything else in life you gotta take the good with the bad. You live in bear, mountain lion, and wolf territory. They gotta make a living too and I highly doubt that they can tell the difference between a elk, moose or cow calf. It's all food to them. I understand where you are coming from. I just don't think that the wolf, or bear or mt. lion should have to suffer because of idiots that haven't got a clue about wildlife management.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:35 PM
jjt

GOODGUY
i appologise for bringing the wolves into your thread it just sounded like your problem resembled the problem we have here be it a different animal still the same type dumba$$es in charge
Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
jjt

black bears, cougars, and coyotes are all managed very well here in WY making problems almost nonexistent, when there are problems they are delt with in a quick manner

call the game warden, they will come investigate and then the proper action will be taken

if you catch the predator in the act you are allowed to exterminate it then call the game warden he will come and investigate it and take care of the proper paper work

crude but very effective

that is all we want for the wolves/grizzlies and we cant get nothing out of the US game and fish except our management plan is unexceptable

these guys are not the sportsmens friend and infact are becoming a very left wing oriented group with little or no responcibility to the actions

when it becomes a problem they pass it off to somebody else just like GOODGUY mentioned the canadian dwr did
Old 04-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

After rereading my post above I just wanted to clarify that in the last sentance I wasn't refering to anyone here being an idiiot. It might have come across that way. I was actually refering to the idiots that are making the decisions regarding these so called wildlife management plans that really don't have a clue.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jjt

if you catch the predator in the act you are allowed to exterminate it then call the game warden he will come and investigate it and take care of the proper paper work

crude but very effective

Actually I don't think there is anything wrong with handling things that way. I've personally always been an advocate of protecting your livelyhood. You're not going to wipe out an entire predator species with that kind of behavior. In fact I doubt that a species would even see much of a dent because of this. I think ranchers are hating the wolves because the government basically ties thier hands behind thier back and lets the wolves eat thier livelyhood right in front of them.

I could be wrong but I think bigbulls was trying to say is ranchers start to get the attitude that they have to right to kill them period. Doesn't matter where the wolves are or what they are doing some will kill them just because its a wolf and thats not right either. If they see one 10 miles away from thier ranch they'll shoot em. They'll be out deer hunting and they'll shoot em. Thats how some of these species get wiped out, they get categorized as a nuisance and some even call them evil. They are just an animal doing what animals do and they were here long before we were.

There has to be a management plan to keep a species in check. Hunting not only keeps population levels in check but pressure usually keeps animals out of populated areas. Ranchers should have to the right to shoot to kill if a predator is caught in the act.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.