Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Poll: Which Would You Choose? >

Poll: Which Would You Choose?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Poll: Which Would You Choose?

Old 03-19-2004, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Poll: Which Would You Choose?

Cal,

I think the poll is straight forward enough. The removal of economic constraints was to get people to respond according to what their heart truly aspired to for a hunt and not have to condition their responses with "but this and but that".

My interpretation of the results is, of course, subject to disagreement.

The poll is now posted over at the Deerhunting section, the bastion of the .... umm, deer hunters.

BTW, just curious, which would you choose?

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-19-2004, 07:21 AM

Given the options listed and the parameters set by the question, I would take the whitetail. Luckily, this is only a hypothetical situation because I usually go on one trophy hunting trip per year and do the rest of my hunting on my lease. This coming season I am going on a Whitetail hunt in Mexico. The season after that we are talking about going for elk out West, whitetail in Sask., or black bear somewhere in Canada. I'd like to go on either the elk or whitetail hunt, but both my friends are wanting to do the bear hunt.

My personal ranking preference of the options given is:
1. Whitetail
2. Elk
3. Mule Deer
4. Moose
Old 03-19-2004, 07:33 AM

ElkKampMaster-

Just a thought on the results so far. I don't think most people answered with moose or elk to your poll question of "if you could only hunt 1 animal and that's it for the year" because it is a whole different class of hunting. It's because most people live in areas of the country that have NO moose or elk and even mulies for that matter. Here in the Northeast we do have moose, and I have fun calling big bulls every year into bow range during early deer season .. but in 10 years I still haven't hit in the lottery to "win" a tag yet. So though I've called in about 2 dozen truly trophy bull moose within bow range .. I've had to let them all walk because I've not been lucky enough to draw a tag.

The MAIN difference between whitetail hunting and moose, elk and mule deer hunting isn't the quality or caliber of the hunt or animal ... it's accessibility. There are very few people here in North America who don't have whitetails within driving distance of their homes ... while less than a 1/4 of the country can drive to good elk country in less than 24 hours. I can understand how you think ....

IMHO, those hunters who go and actually pursue these outstanding beasts come back as a whole different class of hunter than before they left. They've graduated to a higher level, seen and done things that others haven't, whether others like it or not -- they are in a different class.
I've done both so I can have an opinion, my "camp" of archery whitetail hunters in PA every year could say the same thing... we've seen and done things no elk camp in the Rockies has. Hanging 15+ treestands in a single afternoon .... securing hunting permission to new lands, keeping VERY LARGE black bears off the game pole ... tracking deer down 3 steps ahead of a pack of 6 plus coyotes .... my point is many people can say the same thing regardless of the animal they pursue.

True .. the high mountains are some of the most beautiful anywhere .. and getting back in off the road a few miles is an exciting and liberating experience. Elk are some of the most beautiful and majestic creatures in the world .. but .... scoring on a nice bull isn't really any harder then scoring on a trophy whitetail once you are in the right area. I would even argue during archery season ... it's almost slightly easier to score on the bull elk. The toughest part in my opinion.. is the camp set up! Which from reading your posts .. your name is well deserved!

My reply is not to be "politically correct" .. because I believe that there are definitely different "classes" of hunters. Some of us are much more intense in our passion than others. Which is why I responded .... I know a few hunters who have only hunted whitetails .... who as "hunters" are a different class entirely. I don't doubt for a second if they had the money to travel to elk country .. their woods skills and hunting abilities would have them into elk. I KNOW that does not go for everyone though .. but there are many hunters, GREAT hunters who just happened to be born and live in the east or the south .. and chasing elk and moose probably will never be an option.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:42 AM

As far as BIG GAME animals fer sure the white tail is the most challenging and then the Mullie, Elk and Bullwinkle.

As far as taste fer sure Elk, Moose, Whitetail, Mullie

I don't hunt Prairie goat (Antelope) but they are up there with the white tail as far as being a difficult hunt with archery equipment.

A very large spike Elk spoiled me to taste - Can't afford to go to the fly in self guided hunts up north for Mr Kodiak - probably would make my kahunas melt if I even got close to one. Moose here is becomming a once in a lifetime opportunity, sad but true, would like to get one though.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hands down, ELK every time.

I have been a deer hunter for my life, see moose alot and been elk hunting 1 time, nothing beats the rush of a bugling bull coming in.

--bob
Old 03-19-2004, 12:33 PM

I would say for me it will be the "Big A$$ Bawling, Bugling Bull Elk." Gotta get me one!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trophy Mulie - over 30", no doubt.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too would agree with the other homeboys from Montana and say swamp donkies too, I can hunt some good quality whitetail, mulies and elk every year here but getting drawn for a moose tag is far and few. I've yet to get drawn but my chances get better every year. This is going to be my year. When I get drawn for a moose tag, I'm picking up my bow and persue nothing esle, not elk, not white-tail, not mulies, not bear, nothing. There had better be no deaths in my family/friends either. I like to get a moose more than any other animal. I have some "good moose medicine" for this years drawing. I wouldn't have to hunt no further than a 5 mile radius of the kabin here. There are some good ponds out here where the moose visit regularly and can be seen on a regular basis. The're pretty common here and at times we get the occasional ones that comes through the yard. Our yard is littered with there droppings, tracks and beds we come across at times in the snow. We don't see but a fraction of what actually comes through here though. Last year I got within 30 yds of two bulls battling, this one bull was the biggest I have every seen in the bush. They had no ideal I was there. I did have my camera, but I fogot to take any pictures, I was more concerned about an escape route I guess. Bobby
Old 03-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

In this order:

Moose
Mule Whitetail
Elk
Old 03-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Moose. Mostly because the last moose I saw walked right under my tree stand and I only had Bear tags. He looked good through the scope but no cigar!!! I am pretty happy hunting around home but I still go to Sask. Every year. Since 1979. I missed a couple years when I was Ill. And twice because of class reunions. I have done the Elk thing and am surronded by Mule deer and whitetails on my Land in SD. Could eat some more Moose meat though.

Quick Reply: Poll: Which Would You Choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.