Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black Bear

Old 03-02-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Black Bear

I going to start bear hunting this year and I was planing on setting out a few bait piles. I was thinking about starting the piles when they come out of hibernation. My question is when do they usually come out. I already know whare they go through and live on a yearly basis. Is there anything else I should know about?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Black Bear

hi andy, just curious, do you live in maine? i have read a few of your other posts, and get the feeling that's where you live. if so, baiting in maine is not legal to do until 30 days prior to the season, and if not, i would still check with authorities first. in vermont, it isn't legal to do, not even in the middle of summer for the purpose of taking a good picture. i don't think most baiters bait as long as you are talking, either, but they can answer better on that than i can. you also have to have name, address, etc on your bait site, among other requirements, if you are in maine.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all-follow all the rules your DNR put out. Type bait is sometimes regulated-container, hole what ever. I have baited many years (not anymore). Keep your bait small so the Bear cannot carry it away to feed somewhere else. Keep your bait covered so smaller animals do not clean it up-I cover with evergreens & a few logs (only bear can tip it over). we were allowed to use fish so our mix was pastry & fish (fresh and ripe) & we had access to this free of charge. We started our 1st baiting with a large amount & when we went back in a week to check IF it had been hit we replenished with a smaller amount & bait around noon. This will help you regulate when the Bear gets used to knowing WHEN the food is available & he will come often to check & will help keep him only feeding at night (it happens-especially with a BIG Bear). You won't have to worry about your scent IF you are the hunter as he is already (or should be) used to it. Boars travel a large area in the spring looking for females so if he hits today you may not see him again for a week. Put your stand so you can come into it without going to or past your bait. We check our baits larte morning (9-10) & IF it is not hit you know the bear is NOT coming thru the night or early morning(thats what you want). Then you just hunt the afternoon. IF it is hit when you show up in the AM & you were there till dark the night b/4 you know he is a night feeder or morning-then you gotta sit ALL day. I have 2 P&Y Bears-missed 2 P&Y Bears & passed on 7 other Bears VERY CLOSE. I have also spent a week with NOT SEEING one also. Good Luck and FOLLOW THE RULES of your DNR....

Old 03-04-2004, 06:04 AM

Thank you for the responses. I do live in maine, like you mentioned vtbuckrulrss. I didnt know there were any special times to start baiting for bear in the laws. Before I start I am going to check out all the laws on what Im doing. I have noticed if a gamewarden in a bad mood wants to give you a hard time it helps to know what you are talking about.

Hunter55, you say that you bait. I was wondering what kind of fish you used. I am good friends with the lady that runs our local dunkin donuts and she sells the waste donuts. I figured that would cover the sweets department.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

andy, i have a guide friend that lives in Edmunds, and what he uses depends upon what each individual bear likes. he uses molasses, licorice, peanut hearts, snack cakes, anise oil, some, but not too much corn, marshmellos, mostly sweets. he and others in maine that he has spoken with, do not use fish or meat( the bears just haven't cared for the stuff), but he has had success with fryerlator grease. for some reason, his bears go for the sweet stuff. pay close attention to what each likes; while helping him to rebait, he pointed out how a particular bear had been in, and he knew this because the bear had picked out the peanut hearts, and left them in a nice pile, untouched! also, he leaves on the snack wrappers, when the bear goes to the bathroom, he can see that this bear has come to the site before because it passes through. he also does not start baiting untill the middle of august, or later. i think that he could have started, for instance, last year around july 29, but at that time of year, he feels there is just too much natural food in the area. start with grease, end with sweets.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got suckers from a commercial fisherman. Some bears do get picky BUT wherever we baited-you are not allowed to leave anything in wrappers. If you have a variety-they will always come back once they know & no one is around to bother tham.. good Luck. I don't think (my opinion)I have ever had a Bear come to a bait that DID NOT KNOW the HUMANE was present.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:07 PM

I really don't think you can until the season starts. but it all depends where you live so you go with what you found out
Old 03-07-2004, 03:22 PM

I just moved to Idaho a couple of months ago, I know that in Washington it is illegal to bait bear, but does anybody know the law on bear baiting in Idaho? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where I have hunted many times in Canada, the outfitter starts baiting about two weeks before season. We alwaya hunt the fall hunt.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:35 AM

you can bait bears in idaho, just not before the season,, and all evidence has to be removed at the end of the season. been lookin into it this year, think i might give it a try. shot one last year called it in with my cow call on accident, but i had a tag anyways.

Quick Reply: Black Bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.