Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best Elk Binoculars under $400?????? >

Best Elk Binoculars under $400??????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Binoculars under $400??????

Old 03-02-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Best Elk Binoculars under $400??????

I am looking to get a pair of Binoculars for Elk hunting in Wyoming this fall. I would like to keep it under $400. The ones that I have looked at so far are the Steiner Predator, Nikon Monarch, and Leupold Wind River Olympic & Cascade. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Binoculars under $400??????

I have looked at all of the above mentioned models. I prefer the Leupold Wind River Olympic. I have a friend that just bought a pair, I think they are a great bino. They are lightweight & easy to carry. You will like there slim design against your chest when riding horse back. You should also buy a bino strap system that holds them tight to your chest. I own Pentex bino's. IMHO The Leupolds are better than the Pentax.
Good luck on your elk hunt.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 AM

I have looked through the Nikon Monarchs. They where the 10x42's. They
were nice and crisp. They are fairly compact and have good light gathering ability. I am quite a bargain hunter, and last year I started shopping for binoculars. I came acrossed some Steiner Safari's in the Sierra Trading Post catalog. They where a little more than half off the retail, and available in the 9x40 and 12x40 models. I bought both. They have a website. They have been great. I used them all through hunting season, and was impressed with there clarity. They were also easy on your eyes. They also have some Ziess, Pentax and other binos that are discounted. Have fun with your search.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

WInd River Pinnacles 8x42, Pentax DCF SP 8x43, Swift Audobon 8.5x44, Eagle Optics Ranger 8x42. These binos will weigh under 30 ounces and be perfect for what your application. You will give up very little to binos that cost 500 or more so take your pick. Reviews on these binos are available at www.betterviewdesired.com and if you want further advice give www.eagleoptics.com a call, they have an 800 number.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Well For my money , the Leupolds Cascades and the Busnell Legends are very good for the money. They run me a tad over $200. But I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the Burris Signatures for roughly $80 or so more than the other two you get a bino you can compare to ones running 3-4x's the $309 price
Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM

I have a set of wind river's, can't remember now what model exactly because they are back home..But i really like them and they seem to be crystal clear. I think i picked them up for around 300 candaian or so while i was in calgary.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pentax DCF WP 8x42, or DCF SP 8x43. Go to www.hotbuysbinoculars.com www.17photo.com . Good luck.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 PM

I work at a Gander Mountain (it's like a small Cabelas) store here in Wisconsin and look through all types of binocs. For under $400 I would definately go with the Nikon Monarchs. They seem to let in the most light and have a crispness even out to the edges (cheaper ones will get fuzzy along the outer edge). After that range you are jumping up to $1000 basically for the next step up.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with 338 shooter.. I did own a sporting goods store (smaller than Gander Mountain..338)
So like him we get to put our hands on a lot of stuff..The Nikon Monarchs are super!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

I picked up a new pair of Wind River Casacade's this year in 10x42's. Very nice set of optics. I wear with a bino system and forget they are there...Crisp and clear and compact.

Quick Reply: Best Elk Binoculars under $400??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.