Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"Late" season elk hunts

Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 AM

Default "Late" season elk hunts

There is a real strong chance that I may be going on an elk hunt in N/W Montana (Bob Marshall) this coming season. I have been on several hunts, the most recent in Colorado muzzleloader season this past September. Got a nice 5x5.

Just curious on peoples thoughts about this season and migration intensity. I know Mother Nature will play a huge roll in elk movement, but just looking for some thoughts....a long winter, you know, and I'm bored!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 AM

Default RE: "Late" season elk hunts

whitetails&muskies,

I live in northeastern idaho and can tell you that the winters here haven't been too bad for a few years and the elk herd seems to be doing great. I keep seeing more and more animals. We had a good year for snowpack this year so fires should be down this year and I would expect to see the same thing next year too.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can be a hard hunt depending on mother nature. You got a guide, packing in with horses? Don't you have to fork out $700.00 for a non-resident tag and then theres no guarantee that your going to get drawn.
The Bob is a real wilderness and hope that you guys are good woodmans and in good shape.
I'm not sure the extent of the fires this year but the forestry has maps showing the burns as the elk will be in there or on the fringes, be ready for some hard long homework and good luck, Bobby
Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 PM

I live on the eastern edge of the Bob in great falls not far from the rocky mountain front. We finally got a normal winter, lots of snow, with all the ski area operators happy. I did some cross country skiing just outside the sun river game range which is close to the bob, and scapegoat wilderness areas. lots of elk on the game range, can't horn hunt till i think may l5th when the game range opens. where are you going to go in from? when you say northwest montana, i'm assuming the seely swan valley?I did get some pictures of some sheep, and five good bulls, if i could figure out how to post them here, i'd put them on for ya, so you can see what you have to look forward to. I just got the pictures back, my wife and i spent the long weekend over valentines day looking over lot's of animals, should be a good season next year
Old 02-25-2004, 05:02 PM

Yes, we are packing in with horses and with an outfitter. I've been with him before, but never the late season. I know it "could" be tough with a big snow, but it "could" also be a good time, I hope, for a big boy. I'll be talking with our outfitter in a few weeks and the other guys who asked me to go (well season western hunters and owner/outfitter of another camp in Canada) Just trying to get some opions and chatter with others. We will be driving into Hungry Horse, then down to the end of the road, then saddle up!

Hope to be a good time for a nice mulie as well??
Old 02-25-2004, 05:04 PM

Forgot to ask 12355.... do you know the web site or url to access the burn maps? I guess this past season was real good for these guys due to the burn activity.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whitetails, I just went to Montanas home page and I didn't see the maps availiable assiociated with the burns we had out here in the past year but keep chequing their home page or give them a call because the maps will be out very soon as the morel hunters will be out in force and these maps are readily availiable to indicate the extend of the burns for the havest of morels as they come out in early and mid spring.
Since you have a guide and going to be packing in on horseback, you'll be getting an advantage heading into the Bob and you'll have a good time, just bring the warm gear with ya, good luck, Bobby