Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 trophy hunters or justifing exspense? >

trophy hunters or justifing exspense?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

trophy hunters or justifing exspense?

Old 02-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default trophy hunters or justifing exspense?

Does one always have to justify spending money on a hunt by making a kill?

The point behind the question is seeing hunters who at first say they will only kill a trophy size animal before the hunt begins. And after passing on some pretty nice animals and the season is winding down the hunters will shoot anything that is legal. I'm wondering for some does it have to make a kill to make it successful? Wasn't passing up all those decent animals just as fun as shooting one smaller?

You see this alot in videos. And of course not many of us would continue watching videos if they didn't take game. On a few occasions a hunter will laugh about the one they could of took the first day. Most are completely disgusted and it ruins the hunts.

Just be honest and say wether or not you feel better by passing up a few decent animals and taking a smaller one? Or do you just wait till next year and pass them all up?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:53 AM

Default RE: trophy hunters or justifing exspense?

For me it's all about the hunt. I don't really care if I get anyting or not. I just enjoy being out there. I spent 9 days in CO hunting elk, I didn't see a legal bull the whole time. My little sister shot a nice 4x5(her first elk) and that was as good for me as if I'd shot it myself. The trip didn't cost me anything as mom paid for everything(just to get me out there for a few days), but if I'd had to pay for it the total would have been close to $1k. I knew the bulls where there, they were just smarter than I was. I don't hunt for the trophys, if I happen to see one you bet I'll take the shot, but I won't pass up a legal bull trying to find a bigger one. Meat feeds my family, not horns.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do both depending on the meat already in the freezer. If I'm hunting and I already have a deer in the freezer, I'm much more likely to pass on the smaller ones for the first portion of my hunt.

when elk hunting if I already have a deer or 2 in the freezer I will pass on the smaller bulls for the first part of the hunt looking for my bull that I want on the wall (still looking by the way) The last 3 days, I will pull the trigger on anything legal, elk meat is just too damn good to go away empty handed. If my freezer is empty, I pull the trigger first chance.

I'm more picky when I'm deer hunting though. I will let small bucks walk and won't shoot one unless it is a decent buck, decent to me though, I'm not a real trophy hunter by any means.

The only time I am ever "dissapointed" with a hunt is when I fill my tag right away and can't hunt for the rest of the season. It is such a double edged sword for me. Yippee I got what I came for, crap because it's already over.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I can see some hunters point. They spent the money and would like a nice trophy so they hunt 80% of the hunt for the "big guy" and then the last day or day's will take what they can for two reasons; Not all is lost type feeling..they come away with meat AND they received something for their money besides memories.

I go to enjoy myself. We all want the big one of course, I look for a B&C no matter what I hunt...thats my goal. I give all the meat away, sometimes I can get the cook to do the back strap for the boys in camp and everyone enjoys it.

Here is a question for you cherokee -----> Should hunters really come and hunt with you if they can not afford to come home empty? ..in other words if it really bothers them.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Spike

Here's my 2 cents. I believe every outfitter/guide should work off of a base cost and a trophy fee. Think about it?? If I just wanted to have a good time, and spend a week in the woods, why would I be paying for their services. I pay a guide to deliver something that I can't,,,,,,, a true knowledge, and understanding of an area, and or game animal. If it's not that important? Why then is there such a large range in pricing between guides? The range of pricing on elk hunts seems endless. Why should a guide charge for something he never produced? That's why I think they should use the trophy fee. Cherokee, you as a guide know what your base cost is. If I show up, and can't hit the broad side of the barn. I haven't taken anything from your area, and everyone's happy. If I show, and you put me on to a trophy,,,, I pay you accordingly. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Spike

I'm from Texas where its not really a problem to bring home meat.
I try to get to Colorado every year to deer and elk hunt. Elk numbers are up and the meat is my favorite so I always shoot the first legal elk I see every on every hunt yet sometimes I still come home empty handed.
I love to hunt mule deer. I shot a decent buck on my first trip out but now I want to take a trophy so for me anymore its "Go Big or Go Home!". Every year I pass bigger deer than I've ever had the opportunity to take before but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I've got 7 unfilled mule deer tags in my gun cabinet.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

To be real honest I quess I am a little different when it come to this. I would be after the best legal meat critter I can find. I hunt for the fun of hunting, The being out with nature and the main reason is for meat. A trophy would be a bonus but the quality of the meat comes first. I have no place to keep a trophy head and would not really want one in my house. If I could display it somewhere else then it might be an option.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first priority is being able to hunt.Since I only get one general whitetail tag I am very fussy about the deer that I shoot.For this reason I would rather hunt all season and not fill a tag than end my season early by killing a smaller buck.I have passed on in excess of 20 bucks in a season and still did not fill my tag.I do not consider this season a failure just because my tag went unfilled.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot what ever God gives me. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:37 AM

I have hunted with a guide for elk and had a chance to shoot and didn't. Went home empty but happy. Learned some tricks. Went back with same guy next year and shot a 340+. Went bear hunting and passed on a smaller bear. Went home empty but happy. I think the guides job is to get me near animals of any size then it is up to me and luck.

Quick Reply: trophy hunters or justifing exspense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.