Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

High fenced trophies?

Old 01-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: High fenced trophies?

I think that as long as it's legal in your state to "hunt" by the means you are using go for it. The word hunting has different meanings to different people.

Is sitting over bait ie. a feeder or food plot hunting?
Is running bearwith dogs hunting?
Is having long range gear such as 1000 yard bench guns/rest and shooting deer at 800-2000 yards hunting?
Having 16,000 acres under high fence with a biologest and strict deer managment considered hunting?
Does owning 10 acres next to the city park and taking deer off of it count as hunting?
Using the lastest greatest bow with 85% let-off when a stick bow would work?
Using a super magnum with a 32X scope when a open sighted 30-30 would do?

Where is the line drawn? Who is to say.

I think there should be different catagories for fenced and open land. For the fenced properties there should be acrerage allowances. Dont put the 300 acre farm in with the 21,000 acre place.

Just my thoughts, God created us all different...doubleA
Old 01-29-2004, 10:23 PM

double a, what the difference between hunting 300 fenced arce's or 21,000
your still shooting the animals by the feeders...right ?
Most game farms buy breeding stock ( big buck genes).... I know of one place in Saskatchewan that buy's a 170 class buck for 5 grand, lets It breed as many does as possible, then they sell's a trophy hunt, the hunter comes in pay's 4K kill's the buck, has no idea, it came from a game farm. That 170 class farm deer is harvested why because there was good chance it wouldn't know how to make it through the winter. So the outfitter got 170 class genes on his property all for 1k. Good deal hugh ?.....every few years same thing.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

It's much easier to hunt 300 acres than 21000. On 300 acres (which is slightly less than 1/2 squre mile) the odds of seeing a deer is much greaqter that the bigger parcel. Hence it would be harder to hunt the bigger place .

An example might be......if you had 1 feeder and 1 deer on 300 acres of high fenced land, would the chance of finding it there be the same as finding the same deer on the 32 square miles of the 21000 acres.

I do realize the numbers are extreme but here in Texas where 95 % of the land is privately owned , high fencing is a big debate. You either own land, know someone who does or lease property if you want to hunt.They prices here are out of sight, with the price of cattle at a nearly all time low, ranchers have taken up on deer management and now make as much if not more on whitetail hunting. There are enough wealthy people here and abroad to keep the best ranches booked up for years.
I do agree that's it's a sad day when the regular joe has to work 2 months out of the year to pay for the thing he loves. That's what deer hunting here in Texas has become.

by the way, on some places, that $4000 will get you a management 150BC 8 pt

doubleA
Old 01-30-2004, 06:07 AM

I'd be happy if we did away with ANY record book. Trophies are your own, plain and simple. If everyone else wants to run around trying to impress one another, that's fine for them but I won't be a part. I meet too many guys who, it seems, relate the size of the rack to the size of something else. I say, while everone else is trying to one-up each other, I'll be out hunting.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

hey little magnum, they are offering hunts for the elk now, he just is doing it at a different farm, couple of towns over, for upwards of $2500+. plus, i heard they do it on his farm in N.H.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's much easier to hunt 300 acres than 21000. On 300 acres (which is slightly less than 1/2 squre mile) the odds of seeing a deer is much greaqter that the bigger parcel. Hence it would be harder to hunt the bigger place
I'm guessing that you live somewhere in the east because that is a pretty ignorant statement. You can't compare "fenced in" areas by land mass. Size isn't as important as terrain.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:03 AM

Like one of the previous posters pointed out.
What is the difference between hunting a 5000 acre fenced area or a 10,000 acre unfenced one if all you are doing is sitting by a food plot or a feed site.
No difference.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:30 AM

These animals should not be placed in record books. You may as well just call it shooting cause it is not hunting. I have a tree hugger in the office next to mine and I recently heard her go into a dissertation about seeing a billboard along the highway advertising a "trophy elk hunt" at the next exit. Her views of animal rights and hunting perplex me because they are unnatural but billboards and things like that sure give the antis ammunition (irony intended).
Old 01-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Jorgy, if you read my post real carefully I made 2 hints on where I am from Let me give you a little hint it has a little over 261,000 square miles of fairly flat terrain and is nicknamed the Lone Star State.
That's an ignorant statement stating that Easterners would think that way[&:]

I do admit that terrain does have an effect, I wouldnt say more than size though. It's a toss up, merly opinions. It would depend on where you live and hunt. Let me say this real s l o w....here in TeXaS the country is relatively flat and the places are large and private.

we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.... doubleA
Old 01-30-2004, 05:02 PM

We butchered a hog on the farm once and I guess I could have mounted it and it probably would have been a trophy too.

Quick Reply: High fenced trophies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.