Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 GPS or Compass, which do you prefer? >

GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Old 01-04-2004, 02:47 PM

Default RE: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Just want to let Elknuts1 know that I have navigated with map and compass, both in the fog and the dark, numerous times. It's required in boot camp and basic training in our local search and rescue team. Also, a front page article in our local paper in July of 2002 had a photo of a 21' cutty cabin beached on an island in Lake George. Seems the boat pilot misread his gps. OOOOps!
Old 01-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Neither is idiot proof!

Misread your GPS or misread your compass --- same result!

Next,

EKM
Old 01-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm infamous for "Forgetting" stuff, it has become a part of my personna I guess. The whole thing of this boils down to learning as much as we can about all of the tools available and using them to the best of our ability. If you own a map a compass and a GPS, take them all with you and above all, become familiar with them and use them all of the time. There should be no excuse for having to CHOOSE between a compass or the GPS, if you own both, carry both. They are both lighweight, (relatively) inexpensive and don't take up much space. Anybody that would "Choose" between these two items is just plain lazy.
You are only "Lost" if you have to be someplace at a particular time and there are others expecting you to be there at that time. Beyond that, you, personally, may be inconvenienced at times but as long as it is not life threatening it is no big deal.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

BJ, you never cease to amaze me, a man of apparent intelligence that insists on coming off as an ill educated boob. You know as well as anybody else on this board, that every one of those "oldtimers" couldn't wait to trade in their out of date, out moded musketry and other equipment for something that provided them with a better chance of survival and an extra modicum of comfort. Carson, Bridger, Johnson, Glass and the rest would have killed for 1/10 of the available conveniences we have available today. Their "trophy" was coming home with their hair intact.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thankee kindly fer yer recognishun 'bout my higher learnin'. Got plum thru 3rd grade afor I had to quit so's I could work grandaddy's moonshine rig. But I done ok. I don't recognize all them names of ol' timers. Mus' be from some other county. I don't know if yer right 'bout them ol' timers wantin' all the fancy trappins in exchange fer their skills. Ol' Bill Weaver hisself tolt a friend of mine thet he only made variable scopes an' those over 4x 'cause people thort they needed 'em, and would pay him to have what they "needed". Bill was one ol' timer who liked the challenge of a real hunt, but he was a capitalist too, I reckin'.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:54 AM

Hey Coastie,

Try not to be too hard on BeaverJack for wanting to come off appearing as an "ill educated boob". Some of the worst boobs I've ever known were of the "educated" variety. At least BeaverJack is displaying good taste in the "company" he chooses!

You gotta love this country!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:55 AM

Oh......and by the way....EKM, I would never have "guessed" you for a Trekkie![:-]
Old 01-05-2004, 04:20 PM

Some points......
GPS does require a compass to confirm data.
GPS don't work under all conditions.
Knowing where you are is easier and faster with GPS. But that's no good without a map.
A compass is far more reliable. (I used them years before I ever heard of GPS)
Topographical maps are as important as the other two. Unless you have a bigger picture than the one you're looking at you're probably going to stumble around in the woods for a while.
Until my retirement a couple of years ago I taught at a military (Army) SAR school. I continued to sit in on land navigation courses that were offered, reviewed map symbolism, and sought to increase my knowledge. The truth is that GPS, compasses and topo maps work well together and provide redundancy in the field. I often carried 2 compasses and two GPS units in the map case.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Typical Buck

Never fails. A feller says somthin' contrary, an' those with low self-esteem or lil' peckers start a personal attack. I won't guess which is ak's problem. As for packin' all them gadgets so you got no chance to be lost, well, there's sumthin' to be said for bein' fleet of foot in my book. When I was guiding dudes, they usually ended up trimming down their daypacks considerably after the first day of hoofin' with me in the mountings.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:17 AM

Hi BeaverJack,

Actually I suffer from both, (in case you'd like to verify?!?).

But I believe you misunderstood my intent....I was offering a sincere compliment. In that.....some of the biggest boobs I've known in my life were of the "educated variety". There are few things more insufferable than someone that "knows so much"...they honestly believe they have nothing left to learn!

So I am left to believe that you actually thought I was taunting...as opposed to being sincere.....which was not the case. I will leave it to you to decide whether or not to believe me. I've offered an explanation....but I have no control over how you choose to receive it.

I do however, hope that you believe what I have said, as it was sincerely meant that way! And I continue to look forward to exchanges of views in the future.

Dave

P.S. My lil' pecker...took no offense!

Quick Reply: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.