Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's the best handgun to use for elk hunting? >

What's the best handgun to use for elk hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's the best handgun to use for elk hunting?

Old 02-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

as a long term and experienced bullet caster and hand loader, I'd also point out that you are not limited to use of the factory available ammo, and that a properly designed cast bullet can very frequently be used to make a revolver both more pleasant and accurate to shoot and much less expensive.
one of the guys I regularly hunt with purchased a long barrel ruger 44 mag

very similar to this picture, he had a good deal of trouble using it until I suggested reduced velocity hand loads for practice

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...l&type=Handgun

he purchased a lighter 225 grain weight bullet mold
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...tter-gas-check
and we can make accurate ammo for under 50 cents a cartridge, he loads those over 12.5 grains of blue dot and yes
its still lethal on hogs but that hand loaded ammo has noticeably reduced recoil., and no the bullets don,t always exit the game

you can calculate the recoil but a 225 grain cast bullet at about 1270 fps has a noticeably reduced recoil compared to a 310 grain at about 1340 fps
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
it should be obvious that you could produce similar reduced power but still very effective hand loads in a larger caliber like a 480 ruger or 460 S&W or 500 S&W ETC.
if I was starting over, and wanting the best potential in a hunting revolver, and I was a bullet caster and hand loader, you have a myriad of options, I would strongly consider selecting a 7"-10" barrel revolver in 44-to-50 caliber with the 460 S&W , 480 caliber ruger and 500 S&W, caliber revolver, being in my opinion the three best options IF YOU HAND LOAD because the larger caliber bullets can be custom cast in a wide variety of weights and configurations and loaded to a very large range of velocity's, providing a lot of versatility all three options can be loaded down to mild 44 mag power levels or up to considerably more power than a 44 mag can produce giving you a good deal of flexibility

btw thin strips of florida,wild hog marinated over night in 70%pineapple juice and 30% vinegar,
then coated with your bar-b-que sauce can be grilled over a low flame and result in rather good grilled pork, on sandwiches

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-26-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Spike

Experienced hunters have also used the Model 29 or the Model 629 chambered in .44 Magnum to safely take larger species of big game like elk, moose, and brown bear.