Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's the toughest game to hunt? >

What's the toughest game to hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's the toughest game to hunt?

Old 12-20-2003, 04:28 PM

Default What's the toughest game to hunt?

Which big game species is the most difficult to hunt, is it the elk, whitetail, moose, sheep, bear, and what's your reason's? I hunted various animals and for me its a toss up between the elk and whitetail deer, what say you?

Dr. Mike
Old 12-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the toughest game to hunt?

Bighorn sheep as legal rams are scarce and the terrain is demanding.Many people would not be capable of enduring a backpack hunt for bighorns let alone kill a ram.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:34 PM

i would have to say antelope because you can see them in one spot and then there not there when you go after them. Also because they are quite quick
Old 12-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had the opportunity, but from the information I have gathered sheep are the toughest due to the terrain. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:35 PM

From what I understand hunting for a trophy elk would be the max. You first have to find 1 which involves hiking in steep terrain for 10-12 miles a day. then you have to sneak up on it and considering the fact that their built in radar outstrips the finest technology that the U.S. possesses. Finally you have to pack the darn thing out!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:13 PM

I would go with mountain goat or dall sheep for the terrain.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:52 PM

I could see hunting elk being the toughest on yer wallet, but that's about it.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure if you mean physically, financially or something else. It takes a decade of waiting or $100,000 in the auction to get a bighorn tag in CO.

Although I have heard those sheep hunts are pretty tough, I have at least four years to wait and get in shape.

I am equally sure those DG hunts are difficult. I don't think my drawers would fare too well. Right now, it seems AK grizzly/moose hunts are around 20k, which is more than I would spend.

I would say for the vast majority of NA hunters, the wapiti is as tough as it gets.

CE
Old 12-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Horn Sheep & Mountain goat just because of the demanding terrain. Elk are the hardest animal I hunt year in & year out. After you kill an elk the real work begins.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:41 PM

As Teddy Roosvelt once said, "Hunting the mule-deer is the most noble sport of all the deer, yet the true challenge is the big-horn."

As for me I (having never hunted bighorns) would say that an elk is pretty tough to beat.

Quick Reply: What's the toughest game to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.