Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's the toughest game to hunt? >

What's the toughest game to hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's the toughest game to hunt?

Old 01-28-2004, 08:55 PM

Default RE: What's the toughest game to hunt?

I think the toughest game to hunt is Buffola... Because it is hard to get close to shoot and long way to find one.. My dad in law went to Utah to help his friend's daughter to find one and camping there.. He told me that took him almost nine days to get one down.. It is toughest game to hunt. So I think that Buffola is the one in the world toughest game...
Old 01-29-2004, 03:08 PM

Did she have a tag for the Henry Mountains or for antelope Island? Depending on the location i think buffalo could be ranked up there.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:58 AM

Hmmmm, well as far as elk go: If you're hunting public land, no outfitter, no guides, no scouted game... elk are hard to tag. 'Course, if you want to spend the cash you can snag a P&Y bull pretty easily. I've hunted mountain goat with a bow and they would have to have my vote. I've never hunted bighorns (like everyone says, tags are scarce) but in the area I lived in, if you had a tag, you'd snag a ram. But, if they were hunted harder, I'd feel they would rank right up there with goats. But by far I'd have to say that the mountain goat in terms of terrain is the toughest. On top of that, they tend to spot you LONG before you spot them. They are, after all, related to the pronghorn and have similar eyesight. They'll spot you coming over a mountain and they can scamper up cliffs that'd make you puke! Then, if you're lucky enough to hit one and he dies quickly without falling down a mountainside, you still have to pack him out. It's almost nice when you shoot them and they roll... it's easier to pack 'em out! But then, you end up with broken horns most of the time. So, in short, my vote goes to: The Mountain Goat!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:59 AM

OK the toughest animal to hunt is a 150 plus w.t deer my second choice would be a mountain goat. The funnest animal to hunt is a grizzly bear. Mountain sheep and mule deer are also tough but most of the time if you can find them you can get them. Goats are the toughest physcially to hunt , also if you wait till late season till there haired out with the winter coat you may have to deal with waist deep snow. Also hunting spring black bears with hounds can be extremely
hard as bears travel a long way in a day and you have to follow the dogs. Elk are not to hard as we hunt them in the rut and pack them on horses. But a white buck on crown land with lots of pressure is the smartest animal.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:24 PM

I have never hunted for mountain goats but I have hiked a lot in their country and would say that terrain wise they are amongst the most challenging, but once you have seen them you can get within 100 yards quite easily. When it comes down to the wariest animal the goat according to Teddy Roosevelt is the "foolhen of biggame".
Old 02-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I would have to say it's the bearded clam. But, like any hunt if you study your prey you success rate will improve.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

I would have to say it's the bearded clam. But, like any hunt if you study your prey you success rate will improve.
Fieldmouse, you are absolutely correct, but its also the most pricest hunt to be on, not to mention mounting it. Even though white-tail is less expensive, it doesn't come back to haunt you. You'll be better off and have more money sticking to the easier hunts. Trust me. Bobby
Old 02-05-2004, 06:23 PM

i think deer is the hardest to hunt cuz with good smell and hearing they will see u or hear u
Old 02-05-2004, 06:36 PM

actually hunting for elks are the hardest because they are consistanly on the move and never stay in one spot, they are also beleived to have keen hearing where they can hear a twig snap 4-5 miles away. mulies are also hard to hunt because they too are smart animals but all in all its just depends on how lucky you are with weather etc.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM

No mention of cape buffalo, water buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, hippo, croc, etc. -- interesting.

I've hunted Lower 48 elk, deer, antelope & misc other stuff with success and don't consider ANY of them "tough" or "tough to hunt" by world standards. None of them bite back either -- are we being a little provincial here?

EKM

Quick Reply: What's the toughest game to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.