Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Deer hunting in Colorado with 3 points >

Deer hunting in Colorado with 3 points

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Deer hunting in Colorado with 3 points

Old 12-11-2021, 11:57 AM
car
Typical Buck

Default Deer hunting in Colorado with 3 points

I've been looking through the Colorado Parks & Wildlife site. Too bad they don't have a setting for search the units with the number of points you have setting lol. Anyway, I have 3 points now for deer and really don't want to continue accumulating them. How I came about buying points was I did an elk hunt 2 years ago in Colorado and when I talked to the outfitter several years earlier, he had suggested that I have a point or two if I decide I want to deer hunt if I tag out early. When i applied for my elk tag the year I was going to hunt, the outfitter didn't think it was worthwhile buying a deer tag for a few reasons. So here I am with 3 points and not really sure where would be my best chance on deer hunt. I'm open to DIY with a bow or gun or even going with an outfitter if it's not too expensive. I'm in good shape for a flatlander and I'm not getting any younger, I'll be 64 next year! So, I figured I would reach out here on this site for some help. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

car
Old 12-11-2021, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are some good areas north of Rifle CO north of Rifle Gap Reservoir up on Coulter Mesa that you can probably draw with 3 points. Used to hunt that area with my father. Lots of nice 3x3 and 4x4s up there but I'll admit I never saw a really huge buck just good solid mulies. Most of that country is aspens, scrub oak and sagebrush so it is pretty easy to get around in. A plus is with the scrub oaks there is always a decent chance on a bear and CO non-res bear tags are only $100.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

We always had good luck in south central Colorado area 83.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Good, solid mulies look huge to us Ohio guys.

-Jake
Old 12-11-2021, 06:47 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
We always had good luck in south central Colorado area 83.
How many points does it take for unit 83? Wait, it looks like 83 is private land only?

Last edited by car; 12-11-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:48 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Good, solid mulies look huge to us Ohio guys.

-Jake
Very true!
Old 12-11-2021, 06:50 PM
car
Typical Buck

Flags I'm looking into it. When was the last time you hunted there?
Old 12-11-2021, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by car
Flags I'm looking into it. When was the last time you hunted there?
7 maybe 8 years ago. Dad died so I hunt elsewhere now. Wish I had more current info but I just don't. Looking at the GMU map for CO that is Unit 33 and according to the drawn out recaps it took 2 points for a buck tag for the 3rd and 4th rifle season last year.

Last edited by flags; 12-11-2021 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added on
Old 12-12-2021, 01:08 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
7 maybe 8 years ago. Dad died so I hunt elsewhere now. Wish I had more current info but I just don't. Looking at the GMU map for CO that is Unit 33 and according to the drawn out recaps it took 2 points for a buck tag for the 3rd and 4th rifle season last year.
I saw that and it's close enough to Rifle I could just stay their vs setting up a camp.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by car
How many points does it take for unit 83? Wait, it looks like 83 is private land only?
Yes 83 is private and where Rob, Dave and I hunted for over a decade. We all hunted mostly elk but did draw deer at least once. When I hunted deer it took 3 points but know it now takes 5 or more. We also hunted area 85 and 861 which is nearby and has a lot of public land. I havent looked lately but there was quite a bit of data put out by co dow that tells all the statistics and draw results of every wmu. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.