Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Has Your Mindset About Hunting Changed Any? >

Has Your Mindset About Hunting Changed Any?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Has Your Mindset About Hunting Changed Any?

Old 10-21-2021, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well for about 45 or 50 years I was always up early and hunted everything that was in season. In my early years I would go with my uncles and grandfather sadly they're all gone now but I do have a lot of good memories hunting with them. My dad was a hard worker also but never much of a hunter but he was sure I had the proper equipment to go. I never shot a buck until I was 16 and was able to hunt alone. And I've taken buck in all but a handful of years since then along with many western game..
The past 5 or 6 years have seen less of a desire to go out and kill something. I still love being in the woods but taking of game is now secondary but seeing something that I know I'm going to try to shoot still gets the old pumper going. Now, I'm happy watching a squirrel dance around the tree tops or a chipmunk rustling in the leaves looking for something to eat.
My physical ability isn't what it used to be either. It's too much of an effort to get to the places that I used to go and where I shot a lot of deer/bear. But, and if the guy on here reads this, he knows that I gladly shared my secret spot with him.
So yes my attitude has changed.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My drive to go out and shoot something has always been low. But I like the outdoors and I do take pleasure from a good shot when I do harvest something. I once read hunting was a pack activity for much of human history and usually a collective of skills. I enjoy observing and learning the way of animals more than I do actually hunting. I pass on a lot of game, I wait for the perfect shot, not so much a trophy but an animal that for one reason or another needs to be harvested. The epiphany of noticing some behavior that has been there all the time that I never really noticed before excites me more than a trophy.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

A trophy to me is a full freezer....lol
Old 10-23-2021, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
A trophy to me is a full freezer....lol
My freezer is always full.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

When I was young in Nebraska, hunting was like a competition, kill the 1st buck, kill the biggest buck, get your limit of birds.....lot different man today. Today, is opening day of the general rifle elk and deer season here in Montana, I took my pups out early this morning to do some glassing, I have friends coming this afternoon, they are bringing their boys for some hunting here, some of who never have set foot in Montana. I look forward to seeing these young men succeed on their hunts. Now days, I really get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing others who do not always get to see this beautiful country I call home. Another group close to my heart is the veterans of this country who have given so much to in order for us to enjoy our lives, and our freedom. I am looking forward to being able to host some of those vets later this winter for a cow elk hunt here. I hope to fill my tags, pretty good chance I will, but it is not near as important as it was when I was a younger man. I think it is just part of maturing as an individual. I am guessing with your service in the Navy, thank you by the way for that service, your time to hunt was limited, now, I hope you enjoy your post Navy life and hope you still share your love of hunting with others, that is the best thing we can do as hunters.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:00 AM
Spike

thanks for all the discussion