HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   My first elk hunt! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/426718-my-first-elk-hunt.html)

jnicholes 09-22-2021 08:07 PM

My first elk hunt!

Hi everyone, So, I have a friend who invited me to go elk hunting with him. It’s a general short range weapon hunt in South Idaho. He said he’s gonna try and help me get my first elk.

I got the tag today, and needless to say, I am excited. I have never hunted elk ever. I have hunted black bear, mule deer, whitetail deer, but never elk. This is a first for me.

I am posting today because I am asking for some tips from experienced elk hunters. Do any of you have any useful tips for a first time elk hunter? I have a friend with me who will teach me, but I still would like to hear from you all.

Will keep you updated on the hunt when it happens.

Jared

Wingbone 09-23-2021 01:05 AM

If you don't live in a high altitude area, start your cardio workouts now.

300_WSM 09-23-2021 07:13 AM

Get some good boots and good binoculars!!

jnicholes 09-23-2021 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 300_WSM (Post 4397131)
Get some good boots and good binoculars!!

I already have some decent boots, I just need the binoculars. I actually have a decent monocular somewhere, I need to find it.

Champlain Islander 09-23-2021 09:03 AM

In addition to the items listed above get a cow call. Elk can be very vocal and a cow mew can be settling if you get busted. Be aware of the wind because elk have great noses and will leave the county if they smell danger. If it is at high altitude (above 8 to 9000) and you are from low lands you might think about asking your Dr to prescribe diamox. Altitude sickness will ruin your hunt and the altitude pills taken a few days before arriving at altitude and a couple days after you get there can make a big difference. Good luck.

Bocajnala 09-23-2021 09:07 AM

Drink lots of water.

-Jake

Oldtimr 09-23-2021 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4397134)
I already have some decent boots, I just need the binoculars. I actually have a decent monocular somewhere, I need to find it.

You would be better off with binoculars. Don't skimp on equipment. You should consider a tripod to shoot from. You may get a long shot. Bull or cow tag?

CalHunter 09-23-2021 10:02 AM

See if your buddy has a pair of binoculars you can borrow for the hunt. Most hunters own more than 1 pair. Binoculars make scouting much easier than using a monocular. Champlain Islander also gave you very good advice. You don't want to have a special hunt ruined because of altitude sickness. Most of all, relax and just enjoy the hunt.

jnicholes 09-23-2021 10:37 AM

Thank you all for the advice so far. I really appreciate it. I will not “skimp on the equipment,“ as one of you said. If I’m going to get an elk, I’m going to get it right.

As for the tag, it says in the regulations for the unit I am going to, “Short range weapons only. Any elk.”

As for altitude sickness, I will get meds to handle that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jared

Oldtimr 09-23-2021 11:10 AM

Bull or cow tag! great! Go get one, I can tell you it will be a thrill when you walk up to one on the ground.