Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My first elk hunt!

Old 09-30-2021, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags

I would have found a way to hunt regardless what he said.

Bingo. If you want to hunt, find a way to hunt. No sense pouting in the car. Find a way to get it done man. Hope you're able to get back out there! Sorry your hunt got ruined. But if you have permission to be there, then take a stand and hunt!

-Jake
Old 09-30-2021, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately crowded condition can happen even on private land but is especially bad on public. Hunting is a game of numbers and the more time you spend out in the woods the better your chances will be to have a good hunt without interference from others. If success was easy it wouldn't be as much fun.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I am over it now. I actually just got some interesting info from the landowner.

Lets just say, the spot is not safe for me to hunt on. Scouting for another spot.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I thought you had a "friend" helping you with this hunt? He bale on you?
Old 10-01-2021, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mthusker
I thought you had a "friend" helping you with this hunt? He bale on you?
no, I got excited and started scouting and trying to hunt on my own. Big mistake.

He and I are actually going out together tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is getting confusing. How many people actually have permission to hunt elk on this property? Are you guys rotating hunting days or something?
Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkman30
This is getting confusing. How many people actually have permission to hunt elk on this property? Are you guys rotating hunting days or something?
It’s complicated. The property owners say they are legally required to say yes to any elk hunter who asks for permission to hunt there because of the high elk population on their property. I don’t know why or what made it a legal thing.

So many hunters there it’s getting unsafe. The owners actually lost a tractor and some pipes due to gun shots at elk. (It wasn’t me. I haven’t even got a shot off yet.) Hunters not being aware of what’s beyond their target.

I decided to scout for another spot, and my friend agrees. Not safe there.

We have another spot we are trying out possibly this Saturday.

Jared
Old 10-04-2021, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

If it's that crowded a new spot isn't a bad idea.

-Jake
Old 10-05-2021, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Found a new spot with lots of elk activity. Got permission to hunt there, and I’m going to try Thursday morning.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

I ALMOST got a bull. Here’s what happened:

I was walking at the spot, when I saw 3 other hunters coming towards me. While continuing to walk towards them, they put their weapons, which were two muzzleloaders and a bow, up quickly. Then I heard the elk running away at full speed. They signaled me, and said, “He is heading towards you! Run back and get him!”

I entered what I call “pursuit mode,” and ran back. After twenty minutes of all four of us looking, we couldn’t find him.

We then all met up, and talked about what happened. We all agreed that we lost him and decided not to pursue, mainly because of the wind direction. The elk could smell us easily.

It was still fun, though. A nice team effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.