Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

My first elk hunt!

Old 09-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Just measured my freezers. I need to go through them and see what I can get rid of. After I do that and consolidate some stuff, I’ll have room for the elk if I get one.

My friend taking me got back to me. He said the hunt may start within 5 days. We are still juggling some schedule stuff.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Hi everyone, So, I have a friend who invited me to go elk hunting with him. It’s a general short range weapon hunt in South Idaho. He said he’s gonna try and help me get my first elk.

I got the tag today, and needless to say, I am excited. I have never hunted elk ever. I have hunted black bear, mule deer, whitetail deer, but never elk. This is a first for me.

I am posting today because I am asking for some tips from experienced elk hunters. Do any of you have any useful tips for a first time elk hunter? I have a friend with me who will teach me, but I still would like to hear from you all.

Will keep you updated on the hunt when it happens.

Jared
well you have to be well equipped
Old 09-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Tuesday, September 28th, 2021, the hunt begins tomorrow morning.

Now, let the hunt begin!
Old 09-28-2021, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck. Go slow and do a lot of looking with your binos.. They are usually in a group so going slow into the wind and picking apart all the terrain is the best way. Lots of cows in the herd and are always on the lookout so be aware. After first light they will be headed towards dark timber normally. Some of that timber has openings that you can use to scan further distances.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I got 2 uprights in the cellar just for garden stuff along with fish and game. Parents had a chest freezer when I was a kid and from what I remember it was a pain to dig stuff out. Things on the bottom seem to stay there and get real old and frosty. Nice looking elk OT.
seems great mate
Old 09-30-2021, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I got the spot, and right when I got there, another Hunter said, “I need you to leave. I have a bead on an elk.”

That really hurt. I guess my hunting plans for today went down the drain.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

262lbs from my bull this year.
Attached Thumbnails My first elk hunt!-1047daa5-1c06-43bb-a408-b1ae720eba0e.jpeg  
Old 09-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jnicholes
I got the spot, and right when I got there, another Hunter said, “I need you to leave. I have a bead on an elk.”
If you are hunting public land them he has no more claim to the elk than you do until it wearsa tag. I would stay right there to interrupt his hunt but I would be somewhere in that area. There is probably more than one elk in the area.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
If you are hunting public land them he has no more claim to the elk than you do until it wearsa tag. I would stay right there to interrupt his hunt but I would be somewhere in that area. There is probably more than one elk in the area.
Heres the thing, it’s private property and we BOTH have permission from the land owner to hunt elk on it.

However, interrupting his hunt would not be nice, so that’s why I left.

Still, he is not the property owner, so what gives him the right to kick me off property that is not even his?!?

Its just not fair, I didn’t even get a chance to get out of my car this morning! I cried for TWO HOURS because I was planning this morning hunt for a while and he RUINED it in under a minute!

Its just not fair!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

How big is the property? If it is a couple hundred acres and you have to use a short range weapon then there is plenty of room for both. If you had permission to hunt then only the land owner can tell you to leave.

I would have found a way to hunt regardless what he said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.