Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

My first elk hunt!

Old 09-23-2021, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

The diamox is a cheap drug that has a few funny side affects that Ill warn you about. It conditions your body to function as normal with a low O2 content. At 9000 to 11000 feet the air doesn't have as much oxygen. The side affects many experience is a tingling on fingers and lips. In addition a side affect that really was most troubling to me is that it makes carbonated beverages taste like a mouth full of pennies. While you are taking it beer tastes really bad and forget a soft drink. Within a couple days of ending the pills everything does come back to normal though. When we did the truck trip out from Vermont I started to take it and then we arrived at Rob's cabin on the 3rd day. I quit taking the pills on day 2 of being at the cabin. The first year or two went well when I wasn't on diamox but on what must have been my 3rd trip I had a bad case of altitude sickness. After that our whole crew took it. Believe me you won't even think about hunting if you get sick. We used to go out in the summer to work on Rob's cabin and my wife came down with it so we she started in on the diamox after that. Rob's cabin was over 9k feet so it was up there in the clouds.
Edit: another good item to have is a Wyoming saw to cut bone when you are dealing with your kill. Cutting the legs off a whole quarter helps to lighten the load or you can totally de-bone in the field for an even lighter pack out.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-24-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Don't over think it. Everyone always makes these big, long, expensive lists of must haves.

If it's in your budget- that's awesome. New toys (especially quality ones) are always fun. But not necessarily needed.

All you really need is a good pair of boots that you can hike in, your tag, your firearm, a sharp knife, a backpack, and plenty of water/calories to fuel yourself.

There are lots of things out there (binoculars, game bags, a pack frame, more comfortable equipment and clothing, the list can be long....) That make the hunt easier and more enjoyable. But purchase or borrow whatever you can, and don't worry about the rest. Get out there, enjoy your hunt, and learn from every experience.
​​​​​​
If your buddy is an experienced elk hunter theres a good chance he has allot of the stuff you'll need already and may be able to help you out by letting you use some of it.

Keep us updated on the hunt and how everything is going.

-Jake
Old 09-23-2021, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Hi everyone, So, I have a friend who invited me to go elk hunting with him. It’s a general short range weapon hunt in South Idaho. He said he’s gonna try and help me get my first elk.

I got the tag today, and needless to say, I am excited. I have never hunted elk ever. I have hunted black bear, mule deer, whitetail deer, but never elk. This is a first for me.

I am posting today because I am asking for some tips from experienced elk hunters. Do any of you have any useful tips for a first time elk hunter? I have a friend with me who will teach me, but I still would like to hear from you all.

Will keep you updated on the hunt when it happens.

Jared
Curious, what is considered a short range weapon for your hunt? Shotgun with slugs? Muzzleloader?
Old 09-23-2021, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mthusker
Curious, what is considered a short range weapon for your hunt? Shotgun with slugs? Muzzleloader?
I am using a shotgun with slugs. That qualifies for the hunt.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:47 AM
Spike

Good hunting, chasing Elk or any deer with a shotgun would be interesting & exciting. Up close hunts can be unpredictable do your best & keep Safe out there.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Getting close is half the fun. Of the 6 elk I killed the first was the farthest and that was 125 yds and closest was the last one at 30 yds.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have an any elk tag then take the first legal elk you can which will probably be a cow. An adult cow will weigh 400 plus pounds and is a lot easier to handle as a first elk than a 600 pound bull is.

Get good binos, not decent binos. Wear broken in boots and use a weapon you are familiar with. Brand new stuff is not a good idea. Place you shot correctly. Elk are not really hard to kill with good shot placement but a gut shot elk can be a nightmare
Old 09-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

My cow was 4 years old and was over 600 lbs.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
My cow was 4 years old and was over 600 lbs.
Cow elk can get that big? That’s heavy! How many pounds of meat was on it?

By the way, I failed to say this when I first posted. I’m not really a trophy hunter, I just try to get extra food for my family by hunting legally. That’s all. If the elk has a big rack, that’s a bonus.

I may need to get a new freezer if I get an elk! My current freezer is already full of other food.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

The first time you see an elk on the ground, when you're used to deer, you'll think ...."Now what?!"

They get big. Have a plan ahead of time on dealing with a critter that big. If legal where you're at look up the gutless method for quartering it up. This will likely be the easiest thing for you to do unless you're on a place that allows vehicle access etc. Of course if your buddy has experience, just follow his lead.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.