Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My first elk hunt!

Old 09-22-2021, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default My first elk hunt!

Hi everyone, So, I have a friend who invited me to go elk hunting with him. It’s a general short range weapon hunt in South Idaho. He said he’s gonna try and help me get my first elk.

I got the tag today, and needless to say, I am excited. I have never hunted elk ever. I have hunted black bear, mule deer, whitetail deer, but never elk. This is a first for me.

I am posting today because I am asking for some tips from experienced elk hunters. Do any of you have any useful tips for a first time elk hunter? I have a friend with me who will teach me, but I still would like to hear from you all.

Will keep you updated on the hunt when it happens.

Jared
Old 09-23-2021, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't live in a high altitude area, start your cardio workouts now.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:13 AM
Spike

Get some good boots and good binoculars!!
Old 09-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 300_WSM
Get some good boots and good binoculars!!
I already have some decent boots, I just need the binoculars. I actually have a decent monocular somewhere, I need to find it.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

In addition to the items listed above get a cow call. Elk can be very vocal and a cow mew can be settling if you get busted. Be aware of the wind because elk have great noses and will leave the county if they smell danger. If it is at high altitude (above 8 to 9000) and you are from low lands you might think about asking your Dr to prescribe diamox. Altitude sickness will ruin your hunt and the altitude pills taken a few days before arriving at altitude and a couple days after you get there can make a big difference. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Drink lots of water.

-Jake
Old 09-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
I already have some decent boots, I just need the binoculars. I actually have a decent monocular somewhere, I need to find it.
You would be better off with binoculars. Don't skimp on equipment. You should consider a tripod to shoot from. You may get a long shot. Bull or cow tag?
Old 09-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

See if your buddy has a pair of binoculars you can borrow for the hunt. Most hunters own more than 1 pair. Binoculars make scouting much easier than using a monocular. Champlain Islander also gave you very good advice. You don't want to have a special hunt ruined because of altitude sickness. Most of all, relax and just enjoy the hunt.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you all for the advice so far. I really appreciate it. I will not “skimp on the equipment,“ as one of you said. If I’m going to get an elk, I’m going to get it right.

As for the tag, it says in the regulations for the unit I am going to, “Short range weapons only. Any elk.”

As for altitude sickness, I will get meds to handle that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jared
Old 09-23-2021, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bull or cow tag! great! Go get one, I can tell you it will be a thrill when you walk up to one on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.