Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My first elk hunt!

Old 11-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok. Your mechanic sounds like some of the roofers in my area.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck now that you're back in the hunt jnicholes.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:10 PM
Spike

The biggest thing I'd recommend is getting in shape. Elk country is tough country!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have an update. No harvest so far. Season ends December 31 for my tag. I’m actually beginning to think I won’t be able to get an elk this season. I have not seen any elk since the run-in with the three hunters I mentioned a while ago.

If I don’t get an elk, that’s OK. At least I got SOME experience, and at least I got to get out and enjoy nature while trying to track an elk.

Jared
Old 11-29-2021, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of time left if you're still able to go.

As it gets colder focus on food sources. They're trying to eat and save energy right now.

-Jake
Old 11-29-2021, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The last 10 minutes of legal hunting time on the last day of the season can be just as good as opening day. The biggest bull I have taken to date fell to a neck shot with less than 5 minutes of shooting light on the last day. Elk hunting is unpredictable most the time.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree a LOT of time left, if it was ME, I'd be talking to locals and game warden, and asking where they typically see Elk in the later season
as winter sets in food changes and Elk are more of a migrating animal than many believe they are, so as food changes they too will move to where they can find easier/better meals!
and fully agree it ain;t over till its over,
opportunity can happen at any time, but you have to be out there to capitalize on it!

keep at it and good luck
Old 11-29-2021, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, what those two said. And don't be locked into one location or property. Figure out where they want to be then be there.

-Jake
Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, guys. I will take your advice and take a look around food spots. I probably should’ve clarified this, but I’m going to keep trying. I am not giving up. I’m just not sure if I’m going to get one this season or not.

If all else fails, I could go for a spring black bear next spring. I’ve already got good information on some spots.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Since you're still learning the area, take mrbb's advice and ask a game warden. Worst case scenario is they have no answer. But I'd bet they can steer you to some decent areas. Not honey holes but decent areas that you can continue hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.