HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Big Blackie (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/426621-big-blackie.html)

bronko22000 09-03-2021 02:59 PM

Big Blackie

3 Attachment(s)
Got a pick of this guy on my trail cam twice. This guy stands almost as tall as a mature doe. I wish I would have gotten a pic of him head on or walking away to see his girth. Went up today to hang stands for archery season and, not sure if its the same one or not, a whole lot of sassafras trees in the area were pulled down with claw marks on the trunks trying to get to the fruit on the upper branches. Some of the trees were 3" and 4" in diameter! In about 5 more weeks archery and muzzleloader bear will be in.

Champlain Islander 09-03-2021 03:26 PM

Looks like a nice bear.

mrbb 09-03-2021 04:21 PM

looks like decent sized male there for sure
I just had a sow with 3 cubs in my back yard eating fallen apples off my apple tree's!
she was thin as a rail, skin sagging all over, way under weight looking sow, kids must be sucking her dry!
its amazing how much weight they can loose and regain each yr!
she was 350 when tagged last fall, and right now I'd say she' s l maybe about 140 lbs

she needs to find a corn field and dig in and gain some weight back before winter, and make some farmer very unhappy , or get his money's worth out of his crop damage ins! HAHA!

Bocajnala 09-03-2021 05:26 PM

He looks big. His ears look big though too from this angle. I only know about little bears though :D

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that one.

-Jake

Timbrhuntr 09-04-2021 06:09 AM

Hopefully the trees are still bearing fruit when the season opens as that sounds like a good spot to catch that big boy loafing . You aren't boiling down those sassafras bark/roots are you ;)

bronko22000 09-04-2021 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr (Post 4396667)
Hopefully the trees are still bearing fruit when the season opens as that sounds like a good spot to catch that big boy loafing . You aren't boiling down those sassafras bark/roots are you ;)

LOL No but I do cut a couple down every year because our parrot loves to chew on them and remove the bark. The web says its healthy for them because it contains small amounts of aspirin!

Bocajnala 09-04-2021 12:28 PM

Hold up Clem, y'all got a parrot? Does it take the Florida/Texas trips with you? I had a Cockatiel growing up. Fun pets.
​​​​​​-Jake

flags 09-05-2021 12:42 PM

Hope to find one like him when I go to CO next month. But if I find him he wont be black since most the bear in the srea I will be hunting are cinnamons

bronko22000 09-05-2021 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4396698)
Hope to find one like him when I go to CO next month. But if I find him he wont be black since most the bear in the srea I will be hunting are cinnamons

I shot a blonde one in Idaho several years ago. Beautiful animal. The body is all blonde with cinnamon legs. When I saw the color coming through the brush I initially thought it was an elk!

Phil from Maine 09-05-2021 06:56 PM

He looks to be a decent sized bear. But big looking ears tell a different story. Big bears there heads grow big and wider making the ears look smaller not bigger. But nonetheless a decent looking bear..