Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it. >

I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

laying a deer on a bed liner will not hurt deer or truck at all
that's nonsense to worry abiout such things!

and many folks believe in aging a deer or like type animal after they shoot it
a lot comes down to beliefs and well, having the proper place to do so without worry of the meat spoiling

ME< I prefer to have my deer butchered as fast as I can, I don;'t try to race myself
but I also don't put things off to age them
never found any benefits for ME< to be aging deer

most of my deer are shot and butchered, freezer or vacuum sealed the same day/ of being killed!
that or the next day

I some times butcher my own deer, if not I have many friends that are butchers and will do so for me, so I am a little spoiled or just very lucky here on this and very happy at same time HAHA!
and a FYI< there isn't really any difference in HOW the taste of a deer is, between Female deer and or male deer from my experience

its more about how the animal lived(age can factor in but doesn't always) and how its killed, and how its handled after being dead, and then, one of the bigger parts IMO< is how its being cooked and prepared to be eaten!
so, unless your hunting FAWNS, there isn;t a HUGE difference in meat quality on average between a male or female deer!

and weights of deer don't always go by sex either
as a FACT, the heaviest ever recorded deer in PA. was a female deer with antlers!,
but typically an adult female deer will weight a LITTLE less than an averaged age male deer shot
, since most average male deer shot are not much more than 3 yrs old IF that!
so all them BIG 200+ lbs deer folks brag about, honestly are NOT very common
the average buck and average doe, typically are NOT that far apart in weight!
Old 06-15-2021, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Those big deer are more common down south. They are also common in Oklahoma and Texas where there is farm land and domestic food deer have access to. I'm sure a Rhino liner will wash easily with a hose, brush and Tide powder. Stuff like gun cases and backpacks can be placed in the back seat of an extended cab or double cab to prevent blood-soiling or gear can be wrapped in the tarp to protect it.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-15-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Canvas might hold in heat too. Maybe just a tarp or old sheet underneath the animal like mrbb says. I don't know if it's a good idea to lay a deer directly on a truck bed with a Rhino liner. Some guys might not want blood all over their truck bed. There is a method of gutting I saw on YouTube that is virtually bloodless.I like the looks of this method since I'm a guy who likes neatness (I might use a butt plug too to hold in the deerchit):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naiYPu4lzac

Ever hear of water and a hose? Your posts are in the land of the absurd, where do you come up with this crap? If blood bothers you you should probably take up a bloodless sport.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those big deer are more common down south. They are also common in Oklahoma and Texas where there is farm land and domestic food deer have access to. I'm sure a Rhino liner will wash easily with a hose, brush and Tide powder. Stuff like gun cases and backpacks can be placed in the back seat of an extended cab or double cab to prevent blood-soiling or gear can be wrapped in the tarp to protect it.
actually the larger body whitetail deer species are up north NOT south!
if you do a little looking on REAL data, you will see there are several different sub species of them
and all the larger one's are NOT from the southern part of the USA or canada!

most of the best well managed ranches in Texas ( and I am friends with a few that own some of these)
mostly all manage for antler score NOT weight
and most BIG deer on there ranches seldom exceed 200 lbs on average

when deer in most Of Canada will go WELL passed that weight more 300+ lbs on average on, well managed properties and deer are OLD enough to get there
I have killed a few over 300+ lbs in my life time too!

deer typically in the south are smaller bodied NOT larger!

time to maybe do a little fact checking before making claims on things you really know little about!

also if you field dress your deer where you SHOT/KILLED it,
and then proceed tod rag it out of the woods , a few hundred yards for most folks or more
by the time you get to your truck MOST all the blood in the deer that is going to come out already has, so the amount of blood you get on your pretty truck bed or bed liner will be very little and why so few folks even think about it

havin ga cap or camper on your truck, might make washing a TAD harder , ONLY if you have other things in it you wish to keep dry

but a simple self service car wash will clean any blood you get off your truck in a fast simple easy to do step!

its a truck, its made to haul things in the bed from dirt to ???

Old 06-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

also, a personal friend of mine owns 1500+ acres in eastern OK< and he shoots 200 lb deer on occasions, (some even heavier) but he's very selective on what he shoots and allows/manages his land to allow deer to get to 7-8 yrs old , which is WHY they can get to the weights above average!
so, larger deer can be had in any part or place , if one manages there land for them and has enough land to do so!

but given the sub species of deer in a location, is what truly limits there MAX weight potential , as give the same exact food
different sub species will always grow heavier and there northern sub species NOT southern one's!
Old 06-15-2021, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure why the OP posted this in the Classified Section under Automotive. That's the wrong forum. Please post topics in the correct forum.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly think it is a good idea, the blood drainage and such is easily washed away if you plan a little. But the Ticks are a whole other story. I have a large tub especially made for the back of my Jeep, A good idea for cleanup but the downside is the Ticks start unassing the corpse shortly after it cools some and they start crawling all over the inside of my Jeep. I've seen hanging Deer raining ticks. I put mine in XXL garbage or garden bags, I found some large enough and pack the body cavity with cool packs. The XXL garbage bags were a hit with my guides, I take extras for giveaways. Pocket flashlights and XXL garbage bags were both a hit for giveaways.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Unhappy

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I'm not sure why the OP posted this in the Classified Section under Automotive. That's the wrong forum. Please post topics in the correct forum.
I thought that was a forum on discussing HUNTING VEHICLES. My old eyes must have missed the Classifieds part, sorry. I didn't think this site was about selling, buying or trading things. Perhaps there should be a board on vehicle discussions or would that fit in Gear? I saw AUTOMOTIVE and thought my thread fit there. Since this was about the questionable ways and equipment for transporting game on a truck, safe or unsafe, legal or illegal, ethical or unethical, I thought motor vehicles (automotive) would be pertinent.

Come to think of it, the off-topic board might have been a good fit for this thread.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-15-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

There isn't a goof fit for this, ahh, nevermind.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the day we always hung our deer for 5-10 days. With the much warmer temps these days during deer season, that isn’t practical anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.