Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it. >

I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Talking I found this video and couldn't help but sharing it.

The young 4-eyed blonde in the video says, "Make two trips."

Yeh, right, I like Plumcrazy's remark at that video post:

Make two trips, burn twice as much fuel, pollute the air twice as much, burn up time and money, add wear and tear to truck, risk having the item left behind for the second trip to get spoiled or get stolen, really smart young four-eyed blonde lady!

This forum is pertinent because it is displaying a "hunting vehicle" being used in a specific and practical way. I suppose the guy could use a trailer for his ATV but that adds more money and storage space spent. As long as it's perfectly legal and safe to do, practicality trumps animal dignity.

Does any person here think the way that buck is transported is distasteful? I don't. After all he had no room in the truck bed. Another question, might a cop stop him by the way that deer is being hauled for any safety reason? Is that buck securely fastened to prevent accidental loss of the load?

The issue to me is more about vehicle and highway safety in regards to securely and legally loading trucks than it is about appearing "tacky" to the motoring public. If that buck suddenly fell off at highway speed it could be a hazard to other drivers.The unusual way the buck is hauled may also unsafely distract other drivers even.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-14-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

many yrs ago or maybe just about the time most folks Owned cars and trucks, driving about town showing off your DEAD deer was normal and socially accepted, and common practice by hunters, there are tons of old vintage photo's showing this

But in more modern times when everyone is over sensitive to FEELINGS
driving about showing off ones KILL, will most likely do nothing positive for the person doing so, and maybe draw a lot of un needed attention to the sport in a negative way
hunters are a very small percentage of the population and growing smaller all the time
while I won't bash anyone for showing off a dead deer they LEGALLY hunted or claimed(road kill)
I don't think its the best way to haul them anymore

I also don;' think the way this person is hauling it it all that safe , I highly doubt t that lifting device was intended to be used this way for long periods of time, or the added stress use the moving vehicle and weight on it!
just MY OPINION On this, as I don;t knwo for c ertian!

yrs ago, gun racks in pickup truck rear windows was all fine and dandy too
these days, it might get you stopped and hassles, or having your guns stolen or??

times have changed, IMO< many NOT for the better, but the worse and getting worse all the time!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

While I recognize the idea of "don't give the antis anymore ammo against us" (and even agree that it may be best) I simply don't care. These past few years with the cancel culture etc have just soured me on all that entirely.

I don't care who's offended. And admittedly that's probably the wrong approach.

Not that it would matter where I live but I hang my deer out where it can be seen. Sometimes for 7+ days. No cares given.

-Jake
Old 06-14-2021, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

My biggest concern is getting pulled over by the police for whatever reason. That kind of deer rigging on the bumper actually might fly with the law in Oklahoma or Texas. As a motorist, I would still keep my distance if any vehicle load looks precarious. Treat that hanging deer like following a logging truck up a hill. Personally, I would want my deer lying inside my truck bed wrapped up in a tarp and the body cavity packed with ice as a matter of good game preservation.

Years ago I rode motorcycles and being close to a load like that on a bike would seem especially menacing.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-14-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
My biggest concern is getting pulled over by the police for whatever reason. That kind of deer rigging on the bumper actually might fly with the law in Oklahoma or Texas. As a motorist, I would still keep my distance if any vehicle load looks precarious. Treat that hanging deer like following a logging truck up a hill. Personally, I would want my deer lying inside my truck bed wrapped up in a tarp and the body cavity packed with ice as a matter of good game preservation.

Years ago I rode motorcycles and being close to a load like that on a bike would seem especially menacing.
just a FYI, DON"T ever wrap your deer in a plastic tarp, that's NOT a good idea, you will end up trapping in the heat , its trying to get rid of!, there is no need to wrap a deer in plastic, (unless your trying to keep blood off things and even then DON"T wrap it, just place tarp under it!
unless temps are very warm NO reason til add a lot of ice either
once gutted the deer will vent off body heat
Old 06-14-2021, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you need to wrap a deer, dusty conditions etc, use a sheet. It doesn't hold heat in like a tarp or plastic would.

-Jake
Old 06-14-2021, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
While I recognize the idea of "don't give the antis anymore ammo against us" (and even agree that it may be best) I simply don't care. These past few years with the cancel culture etc have just soured me on all that entirely.

I don't care who's offended. And admittedly that's probably the wrong approach.

Not that it would matter where I live but I hang my deer out where it can be seen. Sometimes for 7+ days. No cares given.

-Jake
Now that's what I call aging your venison.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
If you need to wrap a deer, dusty conditions etc, use a sheet. It doesn't hold heat in like a tarp or plastic would.

-Jake
Canvas might hold in heat too. Maybe just a tarp or old sheet underneath the animal like mrbb says. I don't know if it's a good idea to lay a deer directly on a truck bed with a Rhino liner. Some guys might not want blood all over their truck bed. There is a method of gutting I saw on YouTube that is virtually bloodless.I like the looks of this method since I'm a guy who likes neatness (I might use a butt plug too to hold in the deerchit):

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-14-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Now that's what I call aging your venison.
I started a few years ago experimenting with different hanging times, skin on/skin off, hanging before butchering, aging in the refrigerator after butchering and freezing but before cooking, etc.

I *think* my longest was ten days. But I can't say for sure. I know I've done 7 several times.

-Jake
Old 06-15-2021, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

If you're worried about blood on the tailgate hunting is the wrong game for you.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 06-15-2021 at 03:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.