HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   "bagging a nanny" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/425913-bagging-nanny.html)

AlongCameJones 06-07-2021 12:46 AM

"bagging a nanny"

Could this mean a hunter took a she mountain goat if that's even legal? Could it also mean a female feral goat was shot? Has any hunter here ever shot a cow of any species? Personally, for me, the next deer I take I want to be a doe.

Bocajnala 06-07-2021 02:51 AM

I almost exclusively doe hunt now that I have a family to raise and less time to hunt. Bucks are targets of opportunity when they show up. Some years I take a couple bucks. But most years it's usually 3-6 doe though.

I don't care about antlers. Not to say I don't appreciate a nice buck, I do. Just not enough to devote time to it.

This changes how I hunt. I focus almost totally on bedding and food areas and the travel routes between them. Whereas other guys might focus on rubs, scrapes and cruising bucks in the rut. I stay totally doe focused.

​​​​​​

Oldtimr 06-07-2021 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones (Post 4392659)
Could this mean a hunter took a she mountain goat if that's even legal? Could it also mean a female feral goat was shot? Has any hunter here ever shot a cow of any species? Personally, for me, the next deer I take I want to be a doe.

Did you ever kill a deer of any sex?

Bocajnala 06-07-2021 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4392663)

He already answered that question for you.

-Jake

flags 06-07-2021 04:29 AM

In the south it is common to call a doe a nanny. Not sure why but it is some sort of regional thing. As to the OP's comment on Mountain Goats those tags are generally either sex and you can take a billy or a nanny. Often a nanny will have longer horns but they tend to be thin and spindly.

I wont bother commenting on female feral goats because that should be common sense. As to me I nearly always target females so I have shot female mule deer, whitetail deer, pronghorn antelope, elk and bison

M3500 06-07-2021 04:43 AM

:confused:
HUMM?
Up here we have a special draw for Ewe sheep that is a separate hunt from Rams.
Elk, we can shot 2 cows, 3 if you get a draw tag.
Depending on the areas we can get several extra s. tags
Separate Cow for Moose and antelope can be either sex or a dow tag.
So I guess I'm not sure what you're asking???

flags 06-07-2021 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by M3500 (Post 4392676)
HUMM?

Most states that issue sheep tags have that. But goat tags tend to be either sex because it can be pretty hard telling a billy from a nanny at 300 yards across a canyon. It can be done if you have a good spotting scope and time to observe the animal. The take a different body posture when urinating and billies tend to be solitary while nannies are usually in a group. However I have a friend that spotted, watched, stalked and shot a lone goat with good horns but it was still a nanny.

But like you I really am not sure what the OP is asking but that is something I have noticed on every post he has made.

AlongCameJones 06-07-2021 09:38 AM

The first

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4392663)

and only deer I took was a yearling buck in 1996. This was my only deer hunt ever. The venison was tough as shoe leather and gamey as hell. It would have been better if ground up with beef tallow and put in stroganoff or something. The butcher I found then didn't want to get his meat grinder "dirty" when I asked him about it. He was just a butcher and not a dedicated wild game processor. I largely put off deer hunting for years because of the perceived high cost of guided hunts and I never was sure I wanted to try to gut my own deer in the field. But nowadays there are a lot of how-to hunting videos online for the DIY hunter to learn how to do things so I feel more confident. I didn't even have a PC in '90's let alone the Internet. I didn't get my first Windows PC until 2005 and had been using a Smith Corona typewriter before that. I will have to try for a DIY doe on public lands in Oklahoma as soon as I find my dream rifle The biggest expense would be a wild game processor. Ground with 10% beef tallow. There is a reason they castrate male beef. A man I knew in Idaho shot a cow for better meat on the table. He had a cow tag.

Here is a doe-gutting video:

I like this man's clean gutting method with the carcass hanging with no blood or mess. I would have jugs of water and a pail in the truck to flush the cavity and bags of ice to put in the cavity while the deer is driven to the processor. I'd let the processor do the rest. I think I would save the liver and heart to cook for my dogs.

AlongCameJones 06-07-2021 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4392685)
Most states that issue sheep tags have that. But goat tags tend to be either sex because it can be pretty hard telling a billy from a nanny at 300 yards across a canyon. It can be done if you have a good spotting scope and time to observe the animal. The take a different body posture when urinating and billies tend to be solitary while nannies are usually in a group. However I have a friend that spotted, watched, stalked and shot a lone goat with good horns but it was still a nanny.

But like you I really am not sure what the OP is asking but that is something I have noticed on every post he has made.

Yes, I was making people guess as to what I was talking about on porpoise. The heading of my thread was supposed to be an odd humorous attention-grabber to keep things lighthearted here. Too much seriousness is a bore, bore, bore. I figured people understood a nanny was a female goat. My thread is basically about the preference for female big game for better table meat. A lot of my cheesy humor has been acquired from years of reading features in hunting and gun magazines.

AlongCameJones 06-07-2021 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by M3500 (Post 4392676)
HUMM?
Elk, we can shot 2 cows, 3 if you get a draw tag.
Depending on the areas we can get several extra s. tags
Separate Cow for Moose and antelope can be either sex or a dow tag.
So I guess I'm not sure what you're asking???

I wasn't asking anything directly here on purpose but trying to have a little fun here. I could have bluntly asked, "Do you prefer female game for meat quality." Try to lighten up, people! Did you think when I said shoot a COW I meant some farmer's Holstein? Yes, I was playing with peoples' heads here, indeed. You probably have heard the old fable of a farmer's cow being shot by a hunter by mistake. But yes I threw in "shoot a cow" to screw with folks here too. A bad cow pun.

But all hot air aside, do goat hunters (mountain or feral) really use the term NANNY even for a female of that species?