Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster? >

Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

Old 06-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a handgun almost everywhere, all of the time, and have for the last 20+ years.

At a minimum, I have carried a G19 on my hip, which was since been replaced by a SilencerCo Maxim 9mm. In general, if I’m hunting on my home properties, anyone I might encounter is breaking the law, and will have a gun in their hands. When hunting western states in bear country, I carry something more potent, my favorite being a Ruger Super Redhawk Toklat - a 5.5” barreled, double action 454 Casull. A whole lot of hate in an incredibly well balanced, belt friendly package.

The great advantage of my SiCo Maxim 9 is the fact I don’t have to worry about hearing damage no matter what come my way. Omega on the rifle, Maxim on my hip - universal earpro.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones

1988, that was the first year I ever owned a gun, a new Remington Nylon 66 .22 That was the first year I ever fired any guns. I also fried a rented .45 and that aforementioned Ruger .357 at a range. I was 24 then and first went into the military later that same year and got to fire military weapons for the first time ever too.
Which service?
Old 06-06-2021, 03:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
I shot a borrowed Ruger GP-100??.357 6" back in 1988. The only time I ever fired that caliber. There will be certain times I need to conceal that "hoglet leg" (if an N-frame 6" is a hog leg to me, then an L-frame 3" is a hoglet leg) in a big fanny pack too so opted for the shorter barrel. I think of a 3" revolver as a semi-snubby.

Here is a guy (scrawny little old Mr. Hikock45) firing an all-steel Smith L-frame 686 .357 in a 3" w/ barrel underlug. It doesn't look too savage to handle with both hands. In a shorter barrel the velocity will be lower and so will recoil. Hikock's even has cut down-checkered wood grip (talk about pain) while mine has the full rubber grip, for more recoil cushion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2XX81_kPU

1988, that was the first year I ever owned a gun, a new Remington Nylon 66 .22 That was the first year I ever fired any guns. I also fried a rented .45 and that aforementioned Ruger .357 at a range. I was 24 then and first went into the military later that same year and got to fire military weapons for the first time ever too. I was interested in guns and hunting at age 13, but my mother wanted neither me nor my brother to have any part of that so my interest in guns didn't resurface until I was into my 20's. My parents, though, did own some guns of their own since I was 16. My grandfather had died in 1980 and my mother inherited his 3 guns. My father shortly afterward went out and bought a Smith .38 from a police department and a Beretta Minx .22 for my mother's purse. Somehow, the acquisition of my grandfather's 2 rifles and an old junk .32 revolver that a gunsmith said was unsafe to fire made my parents interesting in getting 2 quality handguns for security.

Pain from a .357? I carried a .357 mag every day for 33 years and had to qualify with it 3 times a year. I didn't find it painful. I am having doubts about your authenticity . This hog leg vernacular seem to me to be an attempt to show experience which I now after seeing several of your posts, I doubnt you have.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-06-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

snub nose .357s with +p+ loaded can be a handful for many folks that don't like recoil , have small hands or small in size!
so YES< it is possible to have Pain from a .357

so?? Just saying
there is a pretty big big difference in guns, if your honest, as an ultra light snub nose .357 as to a steel 6 inch or likes service revolver!, recoil is quite different!
Old 06-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I am having doubts about your authenticity . This hog leg vernacular seem to me to be an attempt to show experience which I now after seeing several of your posts, I doubnt you have.
Agreed. Almost unilaterally, anyone with much handgun experience would never use the term “hog leg” to describe any double action revolver.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I am having doubts about your authenticity . This hog leg vernacular seem to me to be an attempt to show experience which I now after seeing several of your posts, I doubnt you have.
It was the "bear battle" comment that activated my BS meter.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wingbone
It was the "bear battle" comment that activated my BS meter.
Imagine living in a world where the possibility of a "bear battle" exists in your mind.

Not a charging bear mind you. But a BEAR. BATTLE. That's a scary place to live. I guess I understand why he wants a hog leg. Let the bear eat that while he gets away.

-Jake
Old 06-07-2021, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

a LOT of folks fear BEARS, SHARKS< Snakes and so on
its not that uncommon for folks to think the worse when they think of these critters
when the truth be told, odds of a conflict are super rare
sort of comes back to the old saying " knowledge is power,"
as those that know real info on these animals, knows the odds are low, in MOST places

BUT there are legit places where conflicts between humans and these species are way higher, so it doesn't always just be a scary world as to just a HIGH risk place
and anyone going into these places should know before they go and take proper precautions,
but even still, fear is never a good way to view any critter!

Old 06-14-2021, 08:08 PM
Spike

For the most part, leading authorities condemn shoulder holsters. Their reasons are numerous, but the main objection is comfort. There is no question that shoulder holsters are not for everyone.

Many shoulder holster designs are uncomfortable, while others are probably too complicated for the average user. They may require too much attention in order to get the design to fit properly.

My personal opinion is that wearing a shoulder holster is much like wearing a light backpack or book bag. There are backpacks that can be tiring in very short order and there are those that work well, even with moderately heavy loads, for far longer. The key seems to be in getting everything in tune with your body style and profile. Getting any shoulder holster properly fitted requires patience, time, and trial and error. A full-length mirror also helps.

You have to watch and examine how the holster hangs along your sides as well as how badly it prints once you put on a covering garment. Go through a series of movements and then go back to the mirror and see how well everything stays in place or where it moves to, so you can figure out further adjustments.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

??? Did you read the title or any of the posts? Nobody was talking about a shoulder holster and nobody was talking about trying to carry a pistol CCW while hunting as that would defeat the purpose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.