Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster? >

Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

Old 05-30-2021, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

While hunting I never carry a handgun. I save that for when the scary 2 legged predators are near by.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see why some guys carry a pistol while hunting. To each their own.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

Mrbb, I never said I would carry a holster on my leg or wear an ankle rig while hunting in my OP. You might be getting my term "hogleg" misunderstood. It's a big pistol like a Smith N-frame .44 with a fairly long barrel. I picked that jargon up from the character of Don Johnson (Marlboro Man) in the early-'90's film Harley-Davidson and the Marlboro Man. The character of Mickey Rourke (Harley-Davidson) was packing a big .454 conversion and it was a surprise to the cowboy buddy. I would sport that piece on my hip while hunting. I would only carry a pistol exposed as a hunting sidearm. Oklahoma is a CC state anyway. I could conceivably carry a sidearm hunting for any number of reasons. My rifle is set down and a need a defensive weapon in a hurry. I need to dispatch wounded game. My rifle is slung and I need to stop a charging wild animal fast or defend myself from a dangerous and threatening Homo sapiens type. My hunting rifle (usually limited to 4 or 5 shots) runs out of ammo during a bear battle and I need the pistol as backup to finish the attacking bear off.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

How old are you?
Old 06-01-2021, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Mrbb, I never said I would carry a holster on my leg or wear an ankle rig while hunting in my OP. You might be getting my term "hogleg" misunderstood. It's a big pistol like a Smith N-frame .44 with a fairly long barrel. I picked that jargon up from the character of Don Johnson (Marlboro Man) in the early-'90's film Harley-Davidson and the Marlboro Man. The character of Mickey Rourke (Harley-Davidson) was packing a big .454 conversion and it was a surprise to the cowboy buddy. I would sport that piece on my hip while hunting. I would only carry a pistol exposed as a hunting sidearm. Oklahoma is a CC state anyway. I could conceivably carry a sidearm hunting for any number of reasons. My rifle is set down and a need a defensive weapon in a hurry. I need to dispatch wounded game. My rifle is slung and I need to stop a charging wild animal fast or defend myself from a dangerous and threatening Homo sapiens type. My hunting rifle (usually limited to 4 or 5 shots) runs out of ammo during a bear battle and I need the pistol as backup to finish the attacking bear off.
I also never STATED A ANKLE HOLSTER
and never said you did either
you stated
belt holster with a hog-leg in it on the strong side

which is what I was referring to when I stated a type of tactical THIGH holster
like these types
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/blac...All%20Products

they attach to your BELT and then your THIGH
they ride lower on the leg than a traditional belt holster!

you never really mention what specific pistol you planned to carry, just a handgun , and this these holsters are rather comfortable when walking and carrying a rifle!
and why I mentioned them!

as for wanting to carry a LARGE hand gun, that opens a whole new can of worms IMO
the most comfortable way to carry a large framed revolved IMO< is with a chest rig
like one of these

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diam...2&gclsrc=3p.ds

Old 06-01-2021, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
I also never STATED A ANKLE HOLSTER
and never said you did either
you stated
belt holster with a hog-leg in it on the strong side

which is what I was referring to when I stated a type of tactical THIGH holster
like these types
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/blac...All%20Products

they attach to your BELT and then your THIGH
they ride lower on the leg than a traditional belt holster!

you never really mention what specific pistol you planned to carry, just a handgun , and this these holsters are rather comfortable when walking and carrying a rifle!
and why I mentioned them!

as for wanting to carry a LARGE hand gun, that opens a whole new can of worms IMO
the most comfortable way to carry a large framed revolved IMO< is with a chest rig
like one of these

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diam...2&gclsrc=3p.ds
Oh, I see what you mean. A rig that hangs from a belt straps to the thigh so it doesn't flop around I guess. I dunno. That looks complicated and messy to deal with. It might be a lot of trouble to undo that to pull ones pants down to take a krap. Whenever I think of guns attached to human legs, I think of ankle rigs.

I would carry specifically a Smith N-frame .44, 6" (hogleg is my slang for such big revolver, I don't yet own such gun) in bear country or my newly-online-ordered Smith 686 PLUS .357 L-frame, 3" in an area I know there is no bears. Some people (including a veteran policeman) on other firearms sites have indicated that either a chest rig or a shoulder rig would flop around, get in the way and/or hurt ones body while walking along hunting. The method the sidearm is carried can't interfere with the slinging, carry or mounting of a long gun. I seems like most long-gun hunters prefer to carry a sidearm on either hip if they pack a sidearm afield at all.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-01-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you ever shoot a .357 mag? A 3 inch barrel is a poor choice. You are making something relatively simple more complicated than need be.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Oh, I see what you mean. A rig that hangs from a belt straps to the thigh so it doesn't flop around I guess. I dunno. That looks complicated and messy to deal with. It might be a lot of trouble to undo that to pull ones pants down to take a krap. Whenever I think of guns attached to human legs, I think of ankle rigs.

I would carry specifically a Smith N-frame .44, 6" (hogleg is my slang for such big revolver, I don't yet own such gun) in bear country or my newly-online-ordered Smith 686 PLUS .357 L-frame, 3" in an area I know there is no bears. Some people (including a veteran policeman) on other firearms sites have indicated that either a chest rig or a shoulder rig would flop around, get in the way and/or hurt ones body while walking along hunting. The method the sidearm is carried can't interfere with the slinging, carry or mounting of a long gun. I seems like most long-gun hunters prefer to carry a sidearm on either hip if they pack a sidearm afield at all.
the tactical hip,thigh holster I linked to you, is a BELT, witha fats release clip, just as that straps on the legs are,
so its as fast if not faster than a basic belt to take off if needed
and topically more comfortable and holds a gun more securely (due to its retention systems, so will Not fall out in you fall or gets snagged on anything) and faster to draw once you learn how to use it, which isn;t hard
I have worn them dozens of times as does both many military and police agency' due to how well they work!
Next the some chest rigs and shoulder holders are NOT of the same quality
and yes some I gather can move some while , your moving, bending walking or??

BUT there are many that hold things in place and are , desired by many Professional guides that work in place BIG bears live and strive!,a s back up guns to there rifles!

so, they work JUST fine and problem free

its like many things in life, you need to buy what FITS YOU and YOU Like

but there is nothing wrong with the designs of many of them like I shared!

if you wanted a more secure to the BODY chest holster, you can always get into a vest set up, where you where a vest that the holster actually attaches to, many offer dozens of positions and placements on them to FIT you how ever your shaped or want it

there used a LOT by law enforcement and military , again due to how well they work and the options they offer the user!
might be adding more bulk than you want to wear when hunting, but is an option if you feel you need a form fitting hold next to your body so gun doesn't move?

just options , suggestions, and advice here,

Old 06-02-2021, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

I mostly use handguns to hunt, almost anything I'd carry that can reasonably be both accurate and powerful will have a reasonably long barrel and fairly heavy,
carrying a handgun, while I hunt is generally done with a shoulder holster or chest holster,
but if I have chosen a rifle I generally don't carry a handgun

Last edited by hardcastonly; 06-02-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Red face

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Did you ever shoot a .357 mag? A 3 inch barrel is a poor choice. You are making something relatively simple more complicated than need be.
I shot a borrowed Ruger GP-100??.357 6" back in 1988. The only time I ever fired that caliber. There will be certain times I need to conceal that "hoglet leg" (if an N-frame 6" is a hog leg to me, then an L-frame 3" is a hoglet leg) in a big fanny pack too so opted for the shorter barrel. I think of a 3" revolver as a semi-snubby.

Here is a guy (scrawny little old Mr. Hikock45) firing an all-steel Smith L-frame 686 .357 in a 3" w/ barrel underlug. It doesn't look too savage to handle with both hands. In a shorter barrel the velocity will be lower and so will recoil. Hikock's even has cut down-checkered wood grip (talk about pain) while mine has the full rubber grip, for more recoil cushion.

1988, that was the first year I ever owned a gun, a new Remington Nylon 66 .22 That was the first year I ever fired any guns. I also fried a rented .45 and that aforementioned Ruger .357 at a range. I was 24 then and first went into the military later that same year and got to fire military weapons for the first time ever too. I was interested in guns and hunting at age 13, but my mother wanted neither me nor my brother to have any part of that so my interest in guns didn't resurface until I was into my 20's. My parents, though, did own some guns of their own since I was 16. My grandfather had died in 1980 and my mother inherited his 3 guns. My father shortly afterward went out and bought a Smith .38 from a police department and a Beretta Minx .22 for my mother's purse. Somehow, the acquisition of my grandfather's 2 rifles and an old junk .32 revolver that a gunsmith said was unsafe to fire made my parents interesting in getting 2 quality handguns for security.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-03-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.