Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster? >

Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

Old 05-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Question Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?

I've hunted deer with a rifle before but never wore a sidearm in a belt holster. I shoot right-handed and would sling my rifle over my right shoulder like a soldier at sling arms. Would a belt holster with a hog-leg in it on the strong side (my right side) get in the way of slinging and unslinging the rifle? In the army it was called the command "sling arms" and "unsling arms".

Speaking of hog-legs, I'm planning to get a new Smith Model 629 .44 Mag in 6" barrel as a sidearm and a good leather holster, maybe from Don Hume, for it. I could have the holster on my left side for a cross-draw setup but having the holster cant way forward might not hold the gun securely in an open-top design. I need to draw quickly with one hand in case a mean bear shows up while out hunting for deer.

Don Hume seems to make great form-fitted open-top holsters.

I guess one could sling a long gun over his left shoulder also and carry it that way if his pistol is at his right-hand side. Please chime in on your sidearm carrying experience with hip holsters while hunting with a long gun.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 05-29-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I've been wearing a left handed paddle holster for the same reasons. Black bears aren't that aggressive but it's nice to have a pistol handy when field dressing a buck in the evening.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Question Will the pistol on the same side as the rifle is slung

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I've been wearing a left handed paddle holster for the same reasons. Black bears aren't that aggressive but it's nice to have a pistol handy when field dressing a buck in the evening.
interfere with slinging or unslinging the rifle? Will the sling or rifle catch on the holstered handgun?
Old 05-30-2021, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never understood the reason to carry a pistol while rifle hunting. You already have a rifle. If you can't hit it with that, you won't hit it with a pistol.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wear a Kahr MK 40 when hunting. It has never interfered with my putting my rifle sling over my shoulder or carrying the rifle slung. So far as not understanding why someone would wear a sidearm while having a rifle, I have a question for you. Where is your rifle when you are bent over your deer gutting it?
Old 05-30-2021, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have carried a S&W Model 18, 4" .22 mag in a shoulder holster when deer hunting in VT. I used it mostly to give the coup-de-grace on a downed deer that was still alive but needed a finishing shot to put it down for good. I didn't like using the rifle for that shot, and many times I was hunting with a muzzle loader and didn't want to reload. One time I had to use the hand gun to ward of some aggressive coyotes (or wild dogs, not sure which) that surrounded me when I was walking out of the woods at dusk.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope. I tend to hunt light and cover a lot of ground glassing and stalking and never saw the reason to carry the extra weight. If I can't seal the deal on anything I come across with my rifle then the handgun isn't going to do me any good. However I have been known to carry one if I am packing out deer or elk in bear country. I have never had to use it on a bear but I have taken a couple deer and a couple cow elk with a 41 Mag when packing meat.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
I have carried a S&W Model 18, 4" .22 mag in a shoulder holster when deer hunting in VT. I used it mostly to give the coup-de-grace on a downed deer that was still alive but needed a finishing shot to put it down for good. I didn't like using the rifle for that shot, and many times I was hunting with a muzzle loader and didn't want to reload. One time I had to use the hand gun to ward of some aggressive coyotes (or wild dogs, not sure which) that surrounded me when I was walking out of the woods at dusk.
a 22 pistol would be ILLEGAL to carry and use to dispatch a deer in many states, so anyoen doing like wise here make sure you know you can legally so not to get into trouble

as for OP's question, , a few things come to mind
one being you stated a holster that you attach to your leg ad well as belt
are you talking like a tactical holster where gun rides lower on your thigh over up high on your belt?
if so, then odds are NO it will NOT interfere with a rifle hitting it or snagging on it
BUT this will come down to in all honesty, HOW tall you are, HOW long the gun and leg set up is
anything IS possible

next is also keep in mind that if you carry a PISTOL for hunting and DON"T have a conceal carry permit,
, make sure the gun is visible and NOT covered up by your coat or like clothing or??
as that can be considered a concealed weapon and open a new can of worms

as IF the gun is covered with say a long coat or ??
then your back to the first question, that NO< the rifle /sling should NOT get tangled up in things as it would already be covered by the jacket or??

as for why anyone would carry a hand gun when using a rifle
I will add this,
I typically carry a hand gun due to 2 legged worries more than critters, and as many time I am still in the woods walking out well past legal hunting hours , thus legally my rifle HAS to be unloaded
yet I can legally still have my concealed handgun loaded, (as I have proper permit to do so)

and also, I do THINK most folks are more accurate with a faster draw on a handgun there used to at close range than trying to use a rifle
is a handgun needed, 99.9% of the time NO
but if one wishes to carry one, and can legally, I see zero issue with it!

but again, before using it to dispatch an animal you HUNTED< you better be sure you legally can
as a LOT of states have caliber restrictions as well as weapon type
as in many states legally cannot use a semi auto to hunt with for deer!
check youyr reg's folks before using a handgun while hunting!, all the more so if its your carry gun!
Old 05-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
interfere with slinging or unslinging the rifle? Will the sling or rifle catch on the holstered handgun?
No. I should have mentioned that I'm right handed and shoot and sling my rifle on my right. I carry a pistol in a paddle holster on the left side so it's my off side and out of the way. I know what you mean about a sling and pistol on the same side getting in the way. That's why I started carrying a pistol on my left side. I regularly practice shooting a pistol with my left hand so drawing and shooting a pistol left handed is not a problem. I intend to transition to a 41 or 44 mag like flags has but that's further down the road when I can find a pistol and ammo in stock. For now, I just carry one of my duty pistols.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Never understood the reason to carry a pistol while rifle hunting. You already have a rifle. If you can't hit it with that, you won't hit it with a pistol.
Hehe. I certainly couldn't and wouldn't argue with your last sentence and prefer to do my hunting with a rifle. Carrying a pistol is simply for insurance. I can't answer for everybody else although oldtimr seems to pack a pistol for similar reasons.

For me, most of the bucks I get are in the evening in that magic hour (1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunset). It's usually dark by the time I tag my buck and start field dressing it. There are a lot of black bears (we don't have grizzlies) and coyotes and an occasional lion where I hunt. My rifle is usually near my truck or leaning against a nearby tree with the safety on. That's usually within 10 or 15 feet but that's a long 10-15 feet if a critter charges, especially when I have to stand up and get to my rifle. My pistol, on the other hand, is on my left hip (paddle holster attached to my belt) and I am perfectly happy with drawing it out with blood on my hand to stop a charging critter.

I usually hunt alone so this is the solution I came up with for that extra bit of insurance. I don't expect any of those critters to charge me (they haven't in over 10 years on the ranch where I hunt) but I like being prepared just in case. As always, YMMV. I don't pretend to speak for others' reasons for wanting to carry a pistol while deer hunting but figured I at least owed you an explanation for mine. Besides, it makes my wife feel a lot more comfortable about me hunting alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.