HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   WYOMING elk hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/425333-wyoming-elk-hunt.html)

Bucknwfl 03-31-2021 08:22 AM

WYOMING elk hunt

Wyoming elk and you have 10 points where do you go or with which outfitter

thanks

buck

Big Uncle 03-31-2021 11:17 AM

The answer to that depends upon budget and physical ability, but as a general recommendation I would have a chat with Tyler Sims. Ten points will get you into some very good elk country and the outfitters that guide in those areas are generally priced a on the high side. Tyler's price is a bit higher than the average bull hunt in Wyoming, but there are reasons that he can get that price and have waiting lists. I do know another great place to go, but it would I doubt that ten points would swing it, and the outfitter has a five figure price (before the decimal point).

When you spend time in the small towns and get to know a few of the locals you will hear real story with the good and the bad about the local outfitters. I have never heard anyone badmouth Tyler, while on the other hand I have never met a local that did NOT badmouth Table Mountain.

Point creep was really wild last year, and with the stimulus payments I would bet that it will be bad again this year.

I know a couple of good guys between Wheatland and Laramie, but I am uncertain if that is a good use of ten points. There are some good horseback/wilderness area hunts around the Park, some good Bighorn Mountains hunts that you might consider but I do not know the outfitters in those areas.

Rob in VT 03-31-2021 04:35 PM

Area 100 in the Red Desert has some monster bulls. Not sure if 10 points would draw or not?

DJfan 03-31-2021 06:34 PM

Call the best guide in the state - Keith Metz - https://www.tablemountainoutfitters....-zEIvsKhE3EclQ

Bobbyosan 06-27-2021 09:52 AM

Point creep is so bad in Wy

Champlain Islander 10-07-2021 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbyosan (Post 4393655)
Point creep is so bad in Wy

Bad in most of the western states. Big rip off and unless you have banked a bunch over the years you won't get to where you want. Just a money making deal for the departments and most of the time the points rise faster than you can earn/ buy them.

Bocajnala 10-07-2021 06:15 PM

^^^^^^

But if you want to play you have to pay. No other way around it.

y'all that got to hunt easy (easier) to get tags were blessed.

-Jake

Champlain Islander 10-08-2021 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4397559)
^^^^^^

But if you want to play you have to pay. No other way around it.

y'all that got to hunt easy (easier) to get tags were blessed.

-Jake

I hear you and thought that way in the beginning. In the last 10 years point creep has increased to the point of being ridiculous. Guys like flags and my buddy Randy in Colorado have saved up into the twenties because they were residents and played the point game from the beginning. Unless things have changed at least in Colorado it is an all or nothing deal. They won't allow banking so let's say it you have 25 points and it takes 16 to draw you get your tag but end up with no points left. Wouldn't a better option be to be able to have 2 or 3 quality hunts with those points especially as you get older...at least as an option? The various departments should be able to manage only using the points needed for a particular draw and bank the remainder. They keep track of them up to that point why not after a draw. That could go a long way to slow point creep which in some states is more like an avalanche.

Bocajnala 10-08-2021 09:42 AM

I don't disagree with you CI.

I just don't know any way around it. And I want to hunt.

-Jake

Champlain Islander 10-08-2021 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4397574)
I don't disagree with you CI.

I just don't know any way around it. And I want to hunt.

-Jake

Yup I would probably be feeling the same except I had an issue that pushed me over the top with CO DOW and their points system. Ticked me off and I said I'm not playing anymore. My hunting friends still put in but due to their younger ages will see a benefit in the future. DOW said ....give us money for a cow tag you aren't going to use or lose your 3 points. I said stick your points where the sun don't shine. You will never get another dime from me. Was being a hard head but my years of climbing all over the Rockies was timing out due to age so I am good with it.