Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Hunting moose

Old 02-16-2021, 12:26 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default Hunting moose

Hunting moose has been on my bucket list for a long time. I've been applying in Maine for the last 20 years. I figured I'm not getting any younger and should try to go in the next couple of years. Living in Ohio, I would like to find a place that's in driving distance so I can bring back all of the meat! I'm thinking all of the lower 48 states have some sort of a draw and that wouldn't work. So I guess somewhere in Canada is my only option at this time. I'm looking for some suggestions of outfitters that you have used in the past that would be good to contact for a moose hunt! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-16-2021, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Newfoundland.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

guess it also comes down to what species of moose your after
as there are more than one!

Newfoundland is IMO maybe the closest and will be maybe the cheapest and highest odds of a moose
but typically they won't hold super large wide antlers
but they can be fine eating that;'s for sure!
Old 02-16-2021, 03:17 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
guess it also comes down to what species of moose your after
as there are more than one!

Newfoundland is IMO maybe the closest and will be maybe the cheapest and highest odds of a moose
but typically they won't hold super large wide antlers
but they can be fine eating that;'s for sure!
I agree with you and I realize it won't be as big.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike Ukrainetz is a highly respected outfitter in Alberta. He would be worth checking out.

http://www.mikesoutfitting.com/index.html

There is a direct correlation between antler size and price. The further west you go the bigger the antlers and usually the bigger the price tag. If you are looking for a northern BC outfitter PM me and I can provide you with an outfitter to check out.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never thought about Newfoundland.... and this past year I saw a hunting brochure....they has some very nice moose and cheap comparatively!
I think 2 hunts were listed and the better one suggested 35-45" moose, which sure its not an Alaskan Yukon monster, but I think a 40" moose on the wall would look darn good!

ps those Alaskan moose hunts were $25-35k!
Old 02-17-2021, 01:52 PM
Spike

Been to Newfoundland, there is much to be said and you'll hear different from every other person who's hunted there. Mine was mostly a road hunt and I would do a fly-in if I ever did it again. We drove, no flying to get there. It will be interesting to see how the border closures affected the population. Daybreak till dark every single day and I saw a total of 6 or 8 moose. Killed a small bull on the last day. It's a lot of meat, do your research on the butchers before breaking open your wallet to have it processed. Any redneck who's done a deer can do a moose!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:26 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WVDanimal
Been to Newfoundland, there is much to be said and you'll hear different from every other person who's hunted there. Mine was mostly a road hunt and I would do a fly-in if I ever did it again. We drove, no flying to get there. It will be interesting to see how the border closures affected the population. Daybreak till dark every single day and I saw a total of 6 or 8 moose. Killed a small bull on the last day. It's a lot of meat, do your research on the butchers before breaking open your wallet to have it processed. Any redneck who's done a deer can do a moose!
How many of you traveled up there? Overall road conditions that you traveled? Did you have it processed there, if so how much did they charge?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have traveled to Newfoundland 5 times. The trip there is fairly easy traveling on major highways and the TransCanada. The ferry ride over/back can be tricky depending on wind. Sometimes there are delays. If you are driving to a camp you are most likely driving on gravel roads, sometimes rough ones. Nothing a 4x4 truck can’t handle.

I have had 3 Caribou and a moose processed there. Can’t remember how much the caribou were, but the moose (a 2 year old bull my daughter shot) was about $450.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:09 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I have traveled to Newfoundland 5 times. The trip there is fairly easy traveling on major highways and the TransCanada. The ferry ride over/back can be tricky depending on wind. Sometimes there are delays. If you are driving to a camp you are most likely driving on gravel roads, sometimes rough ones. Nothing a 4x4 truck can’t handle.

I have had 3 Caribou and a moose processed there. Can’t remember how much the caribou were, but the moose (a 2 year old bull my daughter shot) was about $450.
Ok, thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.