HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Wall Tents ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/42506-wall-tents.html)

elknut1 11-12-2003 06:22 PM

RE: Wall Tents ?

Wood or propane, it all depends on what you' re doing. If you plan on having a base camp, wood is the best for good warm your bones heat, it' s also great for drying out your clothes and what not. I agree with BJ that most decent woodstoves should go most the night. We' ve had propane in our base camp before and it' s just not as comftorable, and this is in Sept., the temp. still hits 10 to 15 deg. now and then. Now if you' re planning on packing in and spike camping it, then a small type propane heater would work well and is light enough to pack. elknut1

neweboarhunter 11-12-2003 11:02 PM

MmmmElk,

Thanks for the link.....not quite what I am looking for though.

elknut1,

Nothing is final this early in the game. But I think for my first do-it-yourself elk hunt I would probably set up a base camp and hike/ ride out from there for the hunt. I was thinking that hauling some propane cylinders would be easier than hauling wood.

elknut1 11-13-2003 07:57 AM

No one hauls wood to hunting camp, you cut it once you get to your hunting site. It' ll take about 1/2 cord for a couple weeks of hunting along with a campfire now and then. Plus chainsaws can be used for many things at camp once you get there. elknut1

neweboarhunter 11-13-2003 08:10 AM

elknut1,

Thanks for clearing that up [:-]. I did not know if the noise of a chainsaw would run the elk out of the area or not.

Sigma7 11-13-2003 09:55 AM

Beaverjack:

I have tried all the available configurations for leaving the front damper open - I get the best results at about 3/4 open with the stack damperabout 1/4 to 1/2 closed but it still burns fast. Some nights there are not even hot coals in the bed in the am - the first year we used pine and WY and that made it burn really fast but that is all we could get. This year in CO we brought oak with us for night use and used some aspen for general purpose and it was better. I am considering getting some coal and tossing in a couple of pieces to burn with the wood. We had a propane " buddy" heater (quiet) with a 20lb tank that helped ease the pressure a bit so we were not up feeding the fire every hour. Let me know what you think.

Wolf killer 11-22-2003 09:34 AM

We use just about any wood we can find to start our fires with. We use coal both day & night for the added heat.

Don K 11-22-2003 10:43 AM

I purchased my wall tent last year and its the best investment i have made in a long time. I purchased a 14x16 from Davis tent and its excellent. I had them add a door in the back, windows in both sides and screens. We use this in the summer as well as the winter and its excellent. Now is the time to start shopping the deals will be out there through the winter. I have the traditional pole set and can set this entire tent up with rain fly and stove by myself in 30 minutes. Check out www.davistent.com as they run specials every month. Great people to talk to and ask questions before your purchase.

Sigma7
I have a cylinder stove for my 14X16 and its awesome. I did not add the dampner to the stack just use the one thats on the stove itself. I can pack the stove with wood and leave the dampner open just a bit and it will slow burn the night with it being very comfortable in there. I also have the water tank, and warming tray so its great to wake up to hot water in the am. My cylinder stove is excellent with no problems here at all.

Sigma7 11-24-2003 07:17 AM

Don K and Beaver Jack:

W/R/T cylinder stoves...Both of you indicate that you did not use th the damper in the pipe. I have - so maybe that is the source of my frustration. I will take it out next year and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

CalNewbie 11-24-2003 04:47 PM

Sigma7 - Why wait? Could you set the stove up in your back yard and experiment? Light it up some weekend and experiment with how you pack in the wood, close off the front vent, damper in/out, etc. while you' re working around the house. That might give you a decent idea how long you can expect a load of wood to last through the night.

This might be a silly question, but shouldn' t logs last about the same in that situation as they would if the stove were in a tent?

seadog 11-24-2003 07:27 PM

We use 6 mil plastic stapled to an A frame made out of hardwood (frame lasts about 10 yrs.), then throw a plastic non tear tarp over the 6 mil and secure to the frame, then staple 3 mil plastic to the frame on the inside (gives dead air space for insulation ), throw in a wood burning stove (burn only seasoned hardwoods, sugar maple prefered if available), line the floor (ground) with indoor/outdoor carpet , fire up the stove and in short order your in your T shirt and underwear.