Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
2021 Montana bill to bring back outfitters and give them 60% of nonresident tags. >

2021 Montana bill to bring back outfitters and give them 60% of nonresident tags.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2021 Montana bill to bring back outfitters and give them 60% of nonresident tags.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:22 PM
Spike

Default 2021 Montana bill to bring back outfitters and give them 60% of nonresident tags.

It is SB143 and the link details what it is about. I have already emailed my representative and senator to oppose this, but I think everyone who enjoys coming to Montana and not having to pay an outfitter thousands of dollars to feed, house, and tell them what they can and can’t shoot to email the creator of this bill as well as our governor and tell them to vote NO on this. If you live in state and oppose this contact your representative and senator and tell them to vote NO. This is not a rich man’s hobby and should be enjoyed by everyone and help out the small towns during these tough times. The hotels, gas stations, bars, restaurants, and grocery stores all benefit from hunting season.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/ale...e1IY#gs.s0npf0
Old 02-03-2021, 03:35 PM
Banned

My group brings about $30,000+ to local economies every year. Actually for the last 15 years. Think like a Republican.

We love our trips out west and we need NR tags and we follow the tags.

Afterall I ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-03-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Rules 2, 8, 12--More insults. 1-week temp ban.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Montana is cutting their own throats at 60% I can see giving a certain % (say 20% or so) to guaranteed outfitter tags but more than that just makes Montana at least twice as hard to draw in and reduces the # of hunters likely to hunt in Montana.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I contacted our state senator Casey Knudsen over a week ago. I explained to him that the people of Montana spoke over 10 years ago with an initiative to do away with just this in 2010 when Montana did offer outfitter sponsored tags. This bill is receiving lots of objection gauging from forums I have seen. My one question would be to the senator who is sponsoring this bill....why provide these tags to outfitter, why not work towards providing landowners with sponsor tags , like we see available for deer. I know a small percentage of tags are available for landowners in Montana and out of state owners, but when you have herds of elk and antelope residing on private land, why not give these farmers and ranchers some stake in the game? Also, forum mods may want to move this to the Big game forum, it is not really about politics, it is about people having the ability to obtain big game tags...
Old 02-13-2021, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mthusker brings up a good point. This topic does properly belong in the Big game forum so more people can see it. Not everybody looks at the political forum but just about everybody who hunts out of state looks at the big Game forum so this should reach everybody who is potentially effected if this legislation goes through. Kudos to Montana Man for posting this and to Mthusker for pointing out that better exposure would be achieved in the big Game forum.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:25 PM
Spike

The whole concept is a Horibal Idea.
It's about $$$$$$$ for the outfitters.
There is already 6 months of elk hunting in MT