Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
2021 Idaho black bear. Spring or Fall? >

2021 Idaho black bear. Spring or Fall?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2021 Idaho black bear. Spring or Fall?

Old 12-31-2020, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2021 Idaho black bear. Spring or Fall?

So, I am planning my 2021 Idaho black bear hunt. I took a small black bear last September. I lost the hide when the freezer failed. Fortunately I fulfilled the mandatory check requirement before I lost the hide.

I have a question for you all. Which is better, hunting in the spring or hunting in the fall like last September?

Is hunting in the spring any different than hunting in the fall?

Trying to figure out which season to try. Maybe I’ll try spring, so I have experience with both.

Any input will be appreciated.

Jared
Old 12-31-2020, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are to some pro's and con's to both, but not a huge difference !
IMO< bears can have great coats inn either season or NOT, a lot depends on there condition before going into winter and coming out of it due to conditions

some thing to consider in spring time is, Cubs
they will be new born as to fall where there 8-9 months old and if you shoot a female in all, cubs have a MUCH higher odds of making it on there own,(not the best, but a better chance of making it to being orphaned in spring time)

either way if your going to again be hunting over bait, the hunting si the same
bears are suckers for easy meals, so, have good bait and they will come, be it spring or fall!

it kind of makes hunting them a LOT easier due to how driven bears are by there stomachs!

other things to MAYBE consider when spring time hunting is, Green up, that however depend on where and when the seasons are
Green up limits how far you can see then, pending terrain of course!
next can be temperatures, if things get warm FAST as many springs seem to any more in my area!
having a way to get bear out and cooled down ASAP will be a part of the game,a s well as getting rid of any remains after butchering

but fall seasons can be warm too, so again, NOT that big a difference IMO between them

hunt the one you like, or both?

Last edited by mrbb; 12-31-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Curiosity question. Are you allowed to do both?
Old 01-05-2021, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Curiosity question. Are you allowed to do both?
I don’t think so, but I’ll check the regulations. Last I checked, I think you were allowed one bear a year in a general hunt in Idaho.