Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Outfitter in Colorado

Old 12-28-2020, 06:45 AM
Spike

Default Elk Outfitter in Colorado

Looking for a good guided elk outfitter in Colorado that will not break the bank. Ideas?
Old 12-28-2020, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many preference points do you have?

Outfitters are assigned specific areas. You should look into which units you can draw with your points and then look for outfitters in those areas. Of course it matters as to which type of hunt (archery, muzzleloader, or rifle) you are seeking.

After determining which units are open to you it is time to talk budget and references.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Spike

I do not have any preference points. Was looking at an outfitter that offers public land forest hunts that are OTC archery Tags. Are these hunts worthwhile in Colorado?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is always possible to get lucky, but the OTC and the easy-draw units are going to be tough. They get hammered. The outfitters in those units are generally less expensive that most other outfitters. Some of those outfitters have a bit of private land to hunt in addition to the public land, but most of the elk hunting is on public land. I would think that private land access in those units would be a big benefit unless the private land is just all bottom land where the elk will probably not be during hunting season.

Take a few minutes to look at the drawing odds for units to find the easy-draw ones and then add in the OTC units. That should help to narrow down your search.

If you go the "big bucks" ($$,$$$) route there are always the RFW ranches that have great success rates. I do know one outfitter in an easy-to-draw unit near Gunnison that charges about $4,500 for archery. He claims good success rates - not all of his hunter would agree with him. I have heard good things about an outfit in the Western part of the San Louis Valley that charged somewhere around $7,000 for archery and was fairly easy to draw, however I can not currently remember the name of the outfit.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

We have a separate Outfitter forum that might provide some research info for you.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunts-outfitters-57/
Old 12-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Spike

Yes, those are some good options. Unfortunately, I would probably go the lower $$ range. It seems like hunters reviews can be great if they had opportunities to shoot or did shoot and hunters roast the outfitter if they did not. In my view, its like hunting whitetails, nothing is guaranteed.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Spike

Thanks, was looking at this earlier with little info for what I was looking for. Will check it out more
Old 12-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

All of that is true. Reviews are only an extension of the hunter who posts them as far as truly understanding what happened on the hunt and why. Kind of like reviews on any website for products-you quickly figure out who actually has used the product and knows what its' capacities are as opposed to the fluff reviews who talk about pretty colors or nice cabins, etc. on outfitter reviews. The nice thing about the reviews here is you have the ability to contact the reviewer if you have a question.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you are aware of a respectable outfitter for a decent price
Old 12-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

He hasn't been on in a while but there is a member called flags that used to live in Colorado (grew up there) and is a wealth of info on hunting in that state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.