Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Closest you have ever had a big game animal to you while hunting. >

Closest you have ever had a big game animal to you while hunting.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Closest you have ever had a big game animal to you while hunting.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

That reminds me t.shaffer, just a few years back, a fawn got hung up on barbed wire fence near the out building I used for storing equipment during hunting season, the doe was standing by the stream bed as the fawn struggled, I was able to go over and actually lift the fawn off of the barbed wire, I laid it right down, and amazingly, it hopped right up and took off for the doe, I figured it was going to be exausted and in shock and have to put it down, but it took off running just fine.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

While hiking I ended up directly between a cow moose and calf. Not a smart place to be. The calf was within spitting distance. The cow was on the other side of a tree and about twenty yards away.

While hunting I've had deer close several times. I shot one that was about 3' away one time. I was standing on a deer trail with my back to a tree. I could see it coming through the woods towards me and I decided to let it get as close as possible. No sights needed on that one. Blood was sprayed onto my pants and boots after the shot when it dropped.

-Jake
Old 10-05-2020, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Had a calf moose within 6 feet and closing. I picked up a stick and whacked it.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can’t say as I have been that close to any moose CI except the one that got up after he was knocked down from a shot.

Jake just reminded me of a time that I had walked threw the woods to a meadow going fishing on a stream. As I got to the stream and started fishing a calf moose stood up on my left. This was before moose was very common and I don’t believe that I had ever seen a calf before. Then one stood up on my right and foolish me thought someone’s ponies got loose or something. So I tried to call them and suddenly I hear a big crash coming from the other side as big momma was making a run straight towards me. I never bothered to reel in and run as fast as I could back into the woods that I came out of.. I can honestly say I was scared on that one.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

One of the most surprising encounters I have ever had occurred in Denali Natl Park a few years ago, myself, wife and my mom were waling a well traveled trail along a river up there and we noticed folks stopping and spending time peering at something, as we made our way up there, we noticed a lynx, just laying in the shade, less then 10 yards away, on the bank of the river. I know lynx are one of the most secretive creatures out there, and this was a fabulous sight to behold.....few weeks later on our trip home, I had another close encounter with one when we were traveling down the Cassiar highway on the western side of BC, I to this day do not know how I missed that cat, it must have stopped and turned inches from the front left tire....
Old 11-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Spike

I've had whitetail deer walk right infront of me when I'm laid down. I've also had a coyote run out infront of me about 5 feet and make a b-line for my decoy and call which was another 100 feet away.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:58 PM
Spike

When I was little (I think about 6-8 yrs old) I had a buck jump over my legs when the dogs were running it( back when we hunted with dogs. We don't any more) still remember it like it was yesterday.