HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   use a decoy for pronghorn antelope? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/424008-use-decoy-pronghorn-antelope.html)

mac266 09-15-2020 07:19 AM

use a decoy for pronghorn antelope?

I've hunted pronghorn antelope a few times and am generally successful. But I've seen places selling a decoy that looks like a buck pronghorn. Someone told me you hold this thing in front of you while you crawl closer to them.

Has anyone done this and how well does it work?

hardcastonly 09-15-2020 07:26 AM

while I think it would let you get closer before the other antelope ran off, due to the curiosity factor....
sounds like a great way to get shot by some idiot 500 yards away, who should never have touched a rifle

mthusker 09-15-2020 07:40 AM

I am guessing the op is referring to archery hunting, when rifle is closed, hopefully.

Big Uncle 09-15-2020 10:55 AM

The small pronghorn buck decoy does work to get their attention and curiosity but it is obviously only for bow hunting. I have used one before the season opens just for a bit of fun and a bit during the bow season. I believe the maker of the one I have is Montana Decoy. They are like the sail on a boat and are a real pain to use when the wind is blowing. It takes one guy using both hands to hold the decoy during the stalk. Although I have had a couple of curious small bucks come closer for a good look, I doubt that the decoy does much to attract most pronghorns. It does seem to hold them in place for a while and allows for some movement behind the decoy for the hunter.

mac266 09-15-2020 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4380912)
The small pronghorn buck decoy does work to get their attention and curiosity but it is obviously only for bow hunting. I have used one before the season opens just for a bit of fun and a bit during the bow season. I believe the maker of the one I have is Montana Decoy. They are like the sail on a boat and are a real pain to use when the wind is blowing. It takes one guy using both hands to hold the decoy during the stalk. Although I have had a couple of curious small bucks come closer for a good look, I doubt that the decoy does much to attract most pronghorns. It does seem to hold them in place for a while and allows for some movement behind the decoy for the hunter.

What about muzzleloader season? I think most folks are only going out to about 100 yards with one (at least that's all I do). Colorado does not allow scopes, breech loaders, pelletized powder, sabots, or any of the other inventions that essentially turn a muzzleloader into a modern rifle.

Big Uncle 09-15-2020 12:51 PM

It your risk to take and only you can decide what is acceptable to you. I would advise wearing plenty of orange if you are in the field with other fellows even if they are using front stuffers. Now that all of the warnings are out of the way, lets talk hunting. At 100 yards or so you will have all of the pronghorns staring at you but the decoy should allow you to make enough movement to slip the barrel out beside the decoy and take a poke at them. They stare at the decoy like they know that something is not quite right, but they are curious to figure out what it is all about.

Some guys (the smart ones) cut a small hole in the decoy to help with the wind and to give the hunter a small window. I have not bothered to cut a hole in mine yet but one day I will. I did put a small patch of orange on my decoy - just in case.

Bob H in NH 09-25-2020 09:19 AM

I have one for bowhunting, they do work, at least to introduce doubt to the pronghorns!

I was out one afternoon this year, peeked over a rise to find 10 staring back at me, ducked down, put the decoy up and eased it forward where they could see it, then backed out and side hilled. I needed them to cover 75 yards and cross a fence. Even after most likely seeing me, they were curious and easing forward. Suddenly they got skittish and left. Why? Simple, the ground was so hard I couldn't really get the stakes into the ground and the decoy tipped over!

Then in my yard we have a week pile, they LOVE it. There was a 15 inch buck out there chowing down, I had the decoy inside for some reason, and decided to see what would happen. I held it infront of me and eased towards him. He looked several times but went right back to eating. At 8 yards he caught me looking over it and bolted.