Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Cameron Co Pennsylvania

Old 08-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cameron Co Pennsylvania

Fellow PA hunters I was fortunate enough to draw a cow elk tag this year after putting in since the onset of the draw. I don't have a bunch of money to spend on an outfitter/elk guide but those of you around elk zone 3 I could really use your help by telling me some areas to concentrate my efforts in scouting the area. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

well congrats on your draw
I don't have any other suggestions than this, and take with a grain of salt
since the odds of drawing tags are so low, it really might be worth the added costs to hire help IMO

that said, you can also try emailing some of the guides in them area's and ask them for possible deals, on things if you allow them to video your hunt, to help marketing on there side of things, if you follow me here.
as some times they too need help in getting KNOWN to be a outfitter with success rates and all, as , so few hunters draw, not many outfitters get much experience, and since its a cow tag, they might be more willing to help for a lesser fee than on a Bull!
yet there success adds to there benefits on things down the road
so, might be worth emailing or calling some and just asking for what they could offer being on a low budget?
as don't forget that shooting a elk is only half the battle, getting it out and , then processed is also a larger job than many deer hunters can handle!
just saying.

you can also I gather talk to local wardens in the area you have tag for too, many are a LOT better at helping than others, , but most do offer to help, or its been my experience talking to them all over the USA!
heck, many lead me to some super hunts and introduced me to soem outstanding folks, I am now friend with due to them, so, I always talk to locals where ever I plan to go!

any how, best of luck to you in any way you do it!

Old 08-19-2020, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just phoned my brother who is friends with a fellow from his VFW that has a camp in that general area. The guys at that VFW make their contributions to PA by applying (unsuccessfully) for that area. I could not get anything specific from them but they did mention an area called "Driftwood". Apparently there is a fair amount of public land and elk. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Very NIce! Do not forget, it never hurts to show up a couple months before the season starts, knock on some doors, say hello, instead of waiting when season starts and everyone else is asking also....
Old 08-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys. This zone is mostly all state game lands or state forest land. Not much if any agriculture land. One of the benefits of being a Hunter/Trapper Education instructor is that I get to meet and work with some of the game wardens. I already contacted them and they gave me the name of the warden in that area. A couple of the areas they recommended are areas knows as Dent's Run and Hick's Run. That is where my initial scouting will take place. (They also told me the Den'ts run is likely where all the other tag holders will be - 7 in total,)
The one outfitter I did talk to said he wanted $1575 and that was just for guiding. No food or lodging. I'm going to see what my friend and I can do before I book anything.
We may be old but we're no slouches when it comes to putting miles on our boot soles and putting our tags on game.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

From everything I've read the main struggle you will have in that unit is finding where the elk are in all of the available land, rather than land access. Lots of public land available to hunt. I'd focus first on getting a few maps and then driving the roads in the unit. Mark what looks promising, mark what looks like good access points for places that you want to get to, and get an idea of the layout of the roads so that you can better navigate the unit during your limited time to hunt rather than spending time figuring out where to go and looking at maps during season. Have all of that figured out before season That way if you know that you need to get two mountains over you know if it's easier to hike there, or drive around and come in from another spot.

After you have a good idea on the layout of the unit I'd start hiking into those promising areas and seeing what you can find. Where the elk are right now probably isn't where they will be in early November, So keep that in mind while you're scouting. I also wouldn't hesitate (if this is legal) to split up with your hunting partners come season so that you guys can cover more area and have more of a chance of locating a herd. If you have a partner or 3 able to cover some ground you up your chances of finding elk and can then plan your stock and get in close enough with that front stuffer.

I would look into some type of game sled if you don't have one already. Even a 55 gallon plastic drum with hook points for a drag rope can help allot. Elk are big- even knowing they are big and having seen them before when I saw my first one on the ground it was a surprise.

I would take the first Good shot that you are presented with on a legal animal. And enjoy the process! A "lucky" tag for sure, so make sure you enjoy it

OT had a rug done with his a few years ago. I can't find the thread now, but he had posted pictures of it and it looked really good. Keep us updated on the process.

-Jake
Old 08-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also be spending a lot of time on google earth, and I would also maybe even suggest talking to Oldtimer here, he got his elk not so long ago and they used horses to get his out, maybe they haul out elk for a fee, , and maybe I am old or?? but a small or even decent fee to help haul out a elk to me would be money well spent LOL
keep in mind also, that prior to the season, many elk are in the rut and bugling a LOT, so going up ahead of season and listening for them, can also help pin point possible locations, but I will also gather it will draw ion others to like area's
and again, might be worth talking more to local game warden about WHERE they put in food plots on any game lands THIS yr, as they do rotate and change from yr to yr!
and elk like deer will eat out of food plot for the best easiest foods,
follow trails back more to get away from possible crowds
or talk to anyone with any local farms, if they have elk crop damage and are looking to get rid of a cow off there land, elk eat a LOT of crops just liek deer and bears and a bunch of elk in a herd can be down right devastating to a farmers crops! many farmers are more willing to allow when there wallets are being hit, and well, drawing tags are so rare I would gather also helps access private lands with problems from elk!, not like saving lands for family members in buck season and such! !
Old 08-25-2020, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Also: if it still works that way there used to be an "open zone" or something like that open to any permit holder. Keep that in mind might be worth finding a few spots in there as well.

I'm built like a horse and you have my number. 2.5 hours from that unit. Pull the trigger and give me a call, I'll be on the way!

-Jake
Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Jake and others. I've been going over maps a lot and I do have a call in to the warden in that area. I'm even considering using a guide for the hunt only. I'll be staying at the cabin and driving every morning.
and Jake, you're correct. Zone 1 is open to any tag holder.
i teceived my packet today with maps and specimen bags if I'm successful.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

No shame in using a guide , especially on a rare tag like this one. How far is the camp from this unit?

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.