HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Hunting Stories/ pictures (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/423781-hunting-stories-pictures.html)

Bocajnala 07-19-2020 09:12 AM

Hunting Stories/ pictures

Post a hunting picture and tell the story(or the lie).

​​​​​​We can keep this thread going, I know most of us have allot of pictures and stories. If you find yourself bored, load a picture and tell the story.

This was 2017 I believe. It was the middle of the first week in PA gun season. Probably Wednesday or Thursday. These are my favorite kind of days
to hunt, because there's usually not too many people in the woods.

So, I had a a small group, and we were going to put on small drives that usually get missed on the opener and weekends when we have more people. We were going to park the Jeep and work our way through some public areas putting on these little drives. We focus on small wood blocks, thick areas, swamps, etc. Areas that can be covered with one or two drivers and a few shooters. These days are almost always productive for us.

We had moved some does around that morning, but no bucks. So we set up this drive. This area was logged out several years ago and it's full of red and green briars. It is a NASTY place to try to get through and most people won't go in there. Dad, my uncle, and myself were going to push through it. I jumped a deer up pretty early but couldn't see it. I yelled "deer up" to let the others know one was moving.

When dad heard me yell, he climbed up on a stump to get a higher view, and saw this little buck running out behind the drive. He shot, and disappeared into the brush, falling clean off the stump into a tangled mess. My uncle and I worked our way over to him and he had made it back up onto the stump by that point. Due to falling he hadn't seen the buck react or which way it headed after the shot. He directed me to where he thought the buck had been. And shortly after I found blood. Deer only went about 30-40 yards.

I sent dad ( an ultra marathon runner) out to get the Jeep, which was about a mile away at that point. I gutted the deer and then drug it down to the closest road we could get to. It was a fun and memorable hunt.

-Jake

Rob in VT 07-19-2020 06:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It was Oct 2017 and my daughter had drawn a Colorado Mule Deer tag. She wanted her boyfriend to come along also so he had an OTC elk tag. She killed a 173” buck the first morning and was done. Cody and I hunted hard all week with little to show. We did see elk but they were either too far to get to or not shooters.

The final afternoon we took a ride to once of my favorite areas. Just before dark several elk came through and Cody made a 50 yard shot on a bull in the timber. Try as we might, we couldn’t find the bull that night. We came back at day break with “The Team” and after an hour of Head scratching we figured out the bull did a 180 and headed in the opposite direction. I ended up finding him about 75 yards from where Cody shot him. Cody was beyond excited with his first bull on the ground!

Bocajnala 07-19-2020 07:01 PM

Good stuff Rob, thanks for sharing.

This one was late season in Ohio, 2017 again. I told my wife I was going to try to shoot one that I could take the kids out on the recovery and I saw one late afternoon. Took the shot, .45-70- knew it was good and the deer wouldn't go far.

Called the wife and told her to bundle the kids up and meet me at the property I was hunting on. Got the kids on the trail about 40 minutes after the shot.

The blood was obviously easy to follow. Kids were 2 and 5 I believe at this point, it was their first recovery.

They found it pretty quickly. Although practically tripped over it before seeing it

-Jake

hardcastonly 07-20-2020 07:29 AM

here is a story you might almost recognize in some friends past behavior

my late hunting partner had very successfully used his browning BLR in caliber 358 win for several decades,
and he used the same speer 250 grain bullet over the the same 44 grains of IMR 4064 ,
and a 215 fed primer for the whole time ,
as that load had consistently given him under 1" at 100 yards groups of a bench rest.
heres a picture similar to rons 358 BLR

now Ron had never taken any Elk that I remember,
at a range greater than about 225 yards ,
and having his BLR sighted in at 3.5" high at 100 yards ,
he was dead on at 200 yards and about 10" low at 300 yards,
certainly fully adequate, and well-proven.
especially where we hunted in thick timber ,
where shots over 120 yards were rather rare!

BUT even in that timber I had almost always used a 340 weatherby ,
on my opening day hunts,
that 340 wby was pushing a 250 grain bullet to about 2850 fps,
its hardly the easiest rifle to back pack into remote areas,

the rifle weighted more, (especially as it had a harris bi-pod )
it was longer and less easily handled ,
but at least in my mind it was damn near ideal.
Ron constantly told me I was carrying a
%^&**(cannon, and had no reason to carry that much weight,)
and yes he was marginally jealous, after having me demonstrate
its reach and accuracy on several occasions
"RON was impressed, even if he would only reluctantly admit it"
Ron always referred to it as ( your #$%^ cannon) but It none the less irked him,
that I could consistently shoot noticeably tighter groups in the field,
where he was hard-pressed to shoot a consistent 3" hundred-yard group from a sitting position at 100 yards,
his rifle was certainly capable but without a bi-pod...
and yes its not a fair contest,
a weatherby bolt action with a bi-pod,
and a 3.5x -10x Leopold, vs his hand held, browning BLR ,
with a 2x- 7x, was not really fair to compare as both rifles off the bench rest had similar accuracy,

so after about 20 years of hunting very successfully with his BLR ,
he found a close out sale at a local store selling a savage 338 win mag with a stainless barrel and camo stock,
that look rather similar to this picture, for a very attractive low price.

lacking better judgement, about spending money , on something new ,
when we already have a damn good rifle,
like most of us do,on occasion ,

he purchased the rifle and we got it sighted in, with handload's
I know I have done that,on many occasions.
(purchased a new rifle I really did not need)

we had found a stiff load of IMR 4350, and a hornady 225 grain bullet produced under 1" three shot groups in his savage.
that year we decided to hunt the deep creek canyon,

we found a small aspen grove on a lower ridge overlooking a natural choke point to game travel,
in the upper canyon and were seated there about 40 yards apart watching slightly different areas of the canyon.
as dawn came up on the opening morning we could see far down the canyon,
we could see using our binoculars, orange vested hunters,
starting up the canyon at well over 2000 yards down the canyon, slope from the lower canyon logging road access.
this was very common as we had learned long ago,
and it was one reason we selected the location on opening day.
Even though it mandated that a couple of hours hike in the predawn,
into this area, was almost sure to be productive for that and other reasons.
at just past dawn Ron saw his first legal 4 point per side bull elk,
and since this was public land it was in his mind a no-brainer,
to shoot if the opportunity was presented at a reasonable range.
Ron waited until the bull got to within about 120 yards,
Due to the elk's location vs his view,
he had to shoot leaning over an aspen branch,
and he got off two rather rapid shots and right there decided he missed his lever action.
the ELK continued to run up canyon, past RON,
it obviously had no idea where Ron or the shots had come from.
Ron was very excited, he swore he had "drilled that elks heart"
but as the elk had not dropped ,.... RON,
had rushed to the edge of the bench or ledge to watch the elk run,
before it made an additional 30 more yards it was down.
I don,t know what Ron was thinking,
but he jumped off about a 12-13 foot ledge, holding his rifle,
and ran down a rather steep, incline a few dozen yards further downslope, to reach his elk,
(he was lucky not to be injured with that stunt)
I remember telling him... you know if you break a leg down in these canyons ,
the only way to get you out is the same way we get the elk out...
in several smaller easy to pack out sections, in 70lb-80 lb loads

the grade was so steep that once we hooked up a block and tackle to hoist the elk on an aspen tree,
simply starting to lift the elk its body slid down slope, considerably,
we got it up and dressed out and quartered, and spent the next two days transporting the meat.
much of the fun stops once the rifle shot echos die off.
and walking out of that canyon with 60-80 lbs in a back pack,
on several trips that packing the meat out requires,
can be a challenge,
especially if your my age.
(and that was 20 years ago)
after that hunt, the 338 savage got little use in Rons hands in rough terrain.
he regarded it as his mule deer only rifle ,he was much more comfortable with a lever gun.
as in his mind its sole advantage was that it had significantly flatter trajectory,
than his BLR ,as its demonstrated lethality, on elk,
was in his experience no better than his BLR.
now to be fair Rons accuracy was not really great,
he had hit the liver (probably shot #2)
after the bullet raked through the hip and paunch,
with that one shot ,
and punched through both lungs, a bit further back than ideal,
the bullet entering high and exiting low on the exit side.
(probably the first shot) with the other shot,
hits were easily 15" apart,
but on a running elk at about 120 plus yards,
while excited when he made those shots , while leaning on an aspen,
with a rifle.
, and that load he used, was well documented and
proven, over many years to be very lethal if shots were placed well.
( he was not really good with it, as he did not really like bolt action rifles)
yet that rifle and ammo t proved fully adequate, in this case also,
even with less than ideal shot placement as both shots punched clean through the elk.

TN Lone Wolf 07-24-2020 02:13 PM

Here's the story of my favorite deer hunt I've ever been on. I know it's a bit long, but I hope you enjoy it. It's the tale of how my sister, Summer, killed her biggest buck ever, the second biggest buck we've taken on the farm, and one I had been after for about a year and a half up to then.

I've often heard stories of guys who watch deer for a few years, sometimes spotting them during hunting season when they're younger, then letting them go for three or so years until they become monsters. Don't know where those guys live, though, because it's certainly not west Tennessee. It's been a blessing hunting where I do, surrounded with neighbors content to let the yearlings go, but no one's waiting on those Pike County monster bucks either. That said, if you've got a youngish buck running around that's "decent" by our standards, it's not too much of a stretch to believe he can make it until next year to become truly "great".

November 2014 - There's slim pickin's this season. Not many potential shooters running around, but there's one decent one:

Sitting in a natural ground blind with my crossbow, I watched dismayed as this nice typical 8-point bounded away, having come into view unexpectedly from downwind. I cursed my misfortune, knowing that was likely to be my only opportunity on a shooter buck that season. Turns out I was right, as neither my dad nor I saw that buck, or any shooter buck, that gun season. To my delight, however, post-season trail cam scouting revealed he made it through the season!

August 2015 - He's back, and oh my god, he's better than ever!
Throughout the following summer, it was evident we were in for a phenomenal season. There were a handful of "decent" bucks, but more importantly, there were two absolutely great bucks, including previous season's top dog:

That's him to the right, having grown an extra point, and having brought in what would have been a 10 point.

Excitement was brewing between my dad and I. But more importantly, Summer began to feel the anticipation. She had started hunting a few years prior, but she slowly got out of it. Not much of an early riser, she would always respond with a groggy "I don't feel good" when we would try to wake her up to go out in the morning. She would hear me and dad talk about the deer we saw and finally start going after Thanksgiving, but by then, gun season had been going on a week and muzzleloader season two weeks before that, so the deer would have caught on and sightings would quickly grow scarce. So, she quit going. But with the prospect of several bucks far larger than her only buck, a yearling 6 point, she expressed the desire to go again.

"What do you have to do to see these bucks?" she asked. "Whenever I go, we never see anything."

"You have to get out there early at the start of season," I said simply. "If you really want an opportunity, you need to learn to shoot the muzzleloader and get out there during the rut." Tennessee's muzzleloader season begins in early November and coincides with the peak of the rut. Despite the fact that the prospect of the muzzleloader's recoil frightened her, she accepted. She asked my dad if she could use his muzzleloader that season, and he accepted. Throughout the early fall, I worked with her on shooting the muzzleloader. She learned how to load it, how to clean it, and how to get comfortable with it. A natural shooter, Summer took to it pretty fast, and she quickly started posting groups similar to what she would shoot with the rifle.

Crucially, I made a discovery that vastly improved all of our muzzleloading capabilities. That January was when I began shooting Encore pistols, and I began to really improve that fall. Since my Encore had a Nikon pistol scope with the BDC reticle, I looked up how to match your bullet's trajectory with the BDC circles with Nikon's SpotOn software. Coincidentally, the muzzleloader, also T/C Encore, had a Nikon Omega scope also with a BDC reticle. Considering we often have to expect shots beyond 200 yards where we hunt and muzzleloader trajectories drop off far more quickly than rifles, I decided to map out the muzzleloader's reticle. The next time we shot the muzzleloader, I recorded its muzzle velocity with my chronograph and put the bullet's information into the SpotOn program. A quick test showed the BDC circles were dead on at the ranges they were listed at. We were more than ready for the opening day of muzzleloader season. As we continued getting trail camera pictures of the buck, Summer decided to christen him "Goliath."

October 2015 - Goliath is a regular visitor.
Unlike an unfortunately high number of big bucks we watch every year, Goliath stuck around. He peeled his velvet and despite being somewhat smaller than I thought he would end up becoming, he was still huge. Not only that, he was photogenic as well:

With season fast approaching, and pictures of Goliath greeting me every time I checked my cameras, I began to grow excited that I might be the one to take Goliath. Doing so would complete a trio of huge accomplishments in one magnificent hunt. First, he would be my largest buck to date. Second, more crucially, he would be my first handgun kill. And third, he would be the first buck I had actively been hunting for over multiple seasons. Despite Summer saying she'd be getting out early and shooting the muzzleloader, I had some doubts as to her conviction, and felt like come gun season, I'd be the one lining up the crosshairs on the buck.

Summer's big thing is horses: rodeoing, trail riding, barrel racing, cutting, western pleasure, you name it. She won't miss an event come hell or high water, especially one of the numerous ones in town. On the night before the opening day of muzzleloader season, there was a barrel race at the local arena that wouldn't be over until about midnight. Dad and I joked whether Summer would be able to get up at 5:00 to go hunting after being out late. She was adamant she'd get up, but I told dad I'd wake him up if she didn't.

Before I continue my story, I must explain our primary two hunting locations, the west (or small) food plot, and the east (or big) plot. The west plot is a hair over an acre in size, roughly 35 yards across north-south and 125 yards long, east-west. I always set up a ground blind in the southeast corner, and the above three pictures were taken just 10 yards away. Separated by about 450 yards is the east plot, a 6 acre field about 200 by 150 yards split by a line of trees. The western two thirds is basically junk that gets mowed down, while the eastern portion is a food plot. We have a two-man treestand in the southeast corner, overlooking the food plot completely and capable of seeing about three quarters of the junk plot. I had actually taken more pictures of Goliath in the east plot, including the 2014 picture at the top, but because he was always further away from the camera and never had any great pictures taken of him, I didn't always show them to Summer or dad.

November 7, 2015 - The opening day of muzzleloader season.
Despite not getting in bed till about 2:00 AM, Summer got out of bed when I went to wake her up. She was clearly still exhausted, but she wasn't going to miss this morning. Once we were camoed and geared up, we set out into the predawn darkness, her with the muzzleloader, I with the binoculars, rangefinder, and camera. I had since given up on my crossbow, which up to then was my muzzleloader season weapon, and it would be another year before I discovered the Optima muzzleloading pistol. No, I was content to be the spotter, to call out which BDC circle to use, and to film the hunt. Before we got more than a few feet out the door, though, Summer and I got into a minor argument on where to hunt. She wanted to go to the ground blind in the west plot, where I had taken all the photogenic pictures of Goliath. I wanted to take her to the treestand, where I had more often seen Goliath on camera. I eventually won out, although Summer still doubted the decision.

The woods came alive from the moment we were sat down in the stand. Not even a minute after we were ready to hunt, two fawns came into the junk plot and were running around, playing. Soon, we spotted a small yearling 4-point slowly crossing the plot, nibbling at the ground along the way. I told Summer we needed to practice simultaneously getting the crosshairs on the target while I got an accurate range. "186 yards," I whispered. "Use the second circle." Summer did so. Then, we spotted a larger buck from the far corner, a 2.5-year-old 6 point. We watched him approach us.

"He's bigger than my buck," I remember Summer whispering.

"You want him?" I asked

"No," she said resolutely, "I'm going to wait for Goliath, or at least his buddy."

We practiced getting on him again, at least. "146 yards," I said, "First circle."

"Bang," she whispered.

The young buck kept coming, and soon crossed the creek in front of us, coming to within scarcely 15 yards. We sat stone still, trying not to be seen. Despite spooking at something, I don't think he ever detected us, and he soon disappeared into the woods behind us.

Up to that point, once I had ranged the deer, I had filmed them with my camcorder. I had enough footage that, when I spotted a doe that had mysteriously appeared in the middle of the junk plot, I didn't bother filming her. It had been about 30 minutes since we'd seen anything, and Summer's lack of sleep was getting to her. She rested her head on her hand, her elbow on the railing, her eyes closed. I made sure she wasn't asleep 15 feet in the air. When I looked back into the plot, I noticed another deer had appeared in the far corner.

I didn't need to look through my binoculars to see who he was. His massive antlers were a dead giveaway even at that distance.

"Goliath!" I whispered, my heart pounding, voice shaking.

"Chance, don't even mess with me like that," said Summer, not even opening her eyes.

"No. . .," I whispered, grabbing my headphones, "It's Goliath!" Summer looked at me, and she knew I wasn't joking.

As she quickly pulled on her headphones and set up the muzzleloader to look, I grabbed my rangefinder and measured. Despite my shaky hands, I managed to get a good reading.

"221 yards!" I whispered, a bit more loudly than before. "Use the third circle!"

"Oh my god!" she whispered, having finally seen him magnified in the scope.

Goliath had come fully into view, walking along the edge of the woods in the far corner of the plot. Unbeknownst to me at the time, he had triggered the trail camera in the plot:

He paused, quartering away, rubbing his antlers in an overhanging tree limb as he tended a scrape. I heard the hammer click back on the muzzleloader.

"Wait!" I said, fumbling with the camera. "Let me get the camera on!"

"Hurry up, he's going to leave!" she retorted. I quickly got the camera on, zoomed in, and hit record.

"Now!" I said.

Through the viewscreen, I saw Goliath with his head back, smelling at the branch. He turned his head and massive antlers around to look our direction when the deep crack of the muzzleloader broke the early morning silence. A noticeable delay occurred, and Goliath stood looking at us for a fraction of a second. Then, he turned his head back forward. His back legs collapsed, and he fell sideways and kicked out a little.

"You got him!" I said out loud, knowing Summer's view was obscured by white smoke. "You got him, he's down!"

We were overcome with celebration, but we both knew we needed to follow up. I turned off the camera, helped Summer reload the muzzleloader, then we carefully climbed down the ladder. I told her to just leave everything unimportant at the stand, and as we set out down the creek crossing, I turned on a GoPro camera and put it on with its strap mount.

As we ascended into the plot, the doe I had spotted earlier, which had still been standing there between us and Goliath, finally ran off. As we crested the hill, I realized that I had forgotten to pinpoint where exactly Goliath had been, having only been watching him closely through magnified devices with a narrow field-of-view. Scanning the treeline, I saw no sign of him, and began to grow slightly concerned. Had he got up and run off? Soon, though, as I glanced almost to the far corner, I saw white.

"There he is!" I said, leading the way. As we approached, I checked to make sure the buck was dead while Summer stood aside, gun raised just in case. She handed me the muzzleloader and bent down to admire Goliath, and as she picked up his antlers in her hands for the first time, she turned and gave me the absolute best, most excited smile I've ever seen, a moment captured on my GoPro. We recorded a little more footage, but soon we knew we had to get ready to tend to him. We left the plot to go wake dad, get the tractor and trailer, and bring back the camera for some pictures:

Final Thoughts
I've been on quite a few hunts in my admittedly short career, but those 90 minutes in the tree stand were probably my favorite hunt of my hunting career. Even though I really, really wanted Goliath for myself, especially for the reasons I mentioned above, Summer getting him cemented her love of hunting, and I've now gained a treasured hunting partner for life. We've gone on many hunts together in the subsequent years, and they've all been pretty enjoyable, although I doubt any will ever top the one on November 7, 2015. Two weeks later, I finally managed to drop the hammer on another fantastic buck I had been watching that year, achieving my first handgun kill I had been after for so long. My dad also broke his buck drought, dropping a respectable 8-point out of the stand at nearly the same spot as Summer had killed Goliath.

hardcastonly 07-26-2020 10:41 AM

ever help get a new guy started into hunting?
back in about the early 1970s, I used to hunt a wildlife management area known as browns farm,
it was just a fairly densely wooded area of about 5500 acres,
bordered on the south edge for about a couple miles with little raised side roads that jutted into the woods,
for a distance of about 1/8th mile, spaced every 1/4 mile,
the ends were where the power company would eventually place huge steel power poles a few years later.
opening day of deer season was Saturday at dawn,

these side access roads where were we parked and set up tents for camping.
one of my neighbors, ALLEN, wanted to try hunting deer in the glades,
so we invited him along,
we left home on friday evening and set up camp with a 8 person tent at the far end of one road,
we gathered a bunch of coral rocks, about water Mellon size. to form a fire ring and make a fire pit,
we had a fire grate, that was about 3ft x 18" to cook on and several Coleman lanterns,
that we sat around the camp site , while we sat around the camp fire, on milk crates and coolers,
we stayed up talking until the fire was down too coals and mosquitoes got bad,
and it started a light rain, not all that un-common ,
we went to the tent to await opening morning, most of us were asleep in an hour or so.
my neighbor had never slept in a tent or camped out over night,
he was worried about Florida panthers,
we had used a couple tripods made from 7.5 ft lengths, of 1/2" metal conduit to hang two lanterns,
at the outer edge of camp to maintain light at the camp site.
the only place to sit other than on coolers or a couple milk crates was the truck tail gate and a couple Coleman coolers we had filled with drinks and ice.
these were placed near the fire ring. we placed one Coleman lantern on the cooler and two others were hung on the metal tripods.
one other guy, in our tent camp site, told him, not to worry,
then hiding a grin...said, panthers only kill a few guys every season,
the odds are good you'll survive the night!

we all laughed.. that was probably not the best way to calm the new guy's apprehension, ,,,
at about 3 am, I was shaken awake by my neighbor, he was scared silly ,he could hardly wispier,
he pointed at the large moving shadow on the tent wall,
for a second I thought, HUGE GRIZZLY, a second later my mind gripped reality,
the shadow on the tent wall was 6-7 feet long and four feet high at the shoulders,

its rather amazing how large a raccoons shadow,
looks if hes standing on a coleman cooler between your coleman lantern and your tent, the shadow he cast looks huge.
yeah, we all got a good laugh out of that experience.

it had rained a slow drizzle most of the night,
but by dawn it had stopped, temps were in the high 50s low 60s, (about the average or a bit cooler for hunts in florida)
that morning, we were tired and rapidly getting wet as we ventured out to the area we were to hunt,
I placed ALLEN in a tree stand on one side of a grove of Florida oak, it was basically a 2 ft x 2 ft piece of plywood,
supported by a few boards nailed too two branches at about 8 ft elevation,
I told ALLEN to remain silent, don,t move, remain observant,
ALLEN had an older 303 British carbine.
I told him I would be back to check on him in about an hour,
as I intended to slowly still hunt the area.
30 minutes later I heard a shot, and ALLEN had his first 4 point buck down,
it had wandered by at about 30 yards,
ALLEN, had shot the buck in the shoulder/neck area and dropped it instantly on the spot!
I showed ALLEN how to dress out the deer,
At first , I thought he might lose his breakfast,
but after a short time he became very interested and helped, he
, asked questions and helped drag out the buck to the truck,
in fact over the next few decades, he was a damn good hunting partner.

JGFLHunter 08-03-2020 07:56 AM

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big...deer-hunt.html

Click link. Way to much to type out and find pictures. Enjoy!

Phil from Maine 09-18-2020 07:20 PM

I was extremely lucky last year. My sister drew a moose tag out of the moose lottery up here. Her daughters boyfriend wanted to be her sub and our mom suggested she would be better off picking me to be her sub. Her husband had died of cancer and she had previously suffered a bad heart attack. The heart attack left her with around 45 percent of her heart not functioning. She didn’t dare to shoot a rifle and the sub can shoot for her as long a she is there and within sight of each other. Our mom ordered out a sweatshirt for her and a t shirt for me and died a couple of months later.
So I had two weeks vacation. The week before for scouting and the week of our hunt. During the scouting I saw a few young bulls and some cows and calf’s. Nothing to be that impressed with but with her condition we decided that the first antlered moose we saw was the one we were going to take. I also communicated with wood cutters and log truck drivers during my scouting to help figure the best place possible for a quick hunt.

Finally the hunt we were waiting for came up. The first day of the hunt was to foggy were we went and set up at. So we waited for fifteen minutes for the fog to lift a little. Then I told her it was time for me to give a couple of calls. Then the wait was on. It took 15 minutes for a cow to come out and behind her stood what looked like a huge brush pile in the fog. I grab my binoculars for a better look and could clearly see the brow times of a big bull standing there looking at us. I grab the rifle and the clip as I was getting out of the Jeep we were setting in. I loaded it up and shot. Down it went like a ton of bricks. I could clearly see it thrashing and hurried in to where it was. As I was around 10 feet of it trying to get behind it for a behind the ear shot it stood up and lowered it’s head looking straight at me. That’s a sign of a charge about to happen. So I very quickly hauled up and shot him halfway between his nose and his eyes. He turned and run slightly quartering away from me. So I tried to get a shot behind his front shoulder not wanting to hit him in the rear end and missed him. Around 80 yards he turned and stood broadside. Unfortunately I only had a 3 shot clip and on my part the other rounds were in the Jeep. So back out to the Jeep I go and grab some more rounds and loaded the clip back up. Back in I go and the moose was no where to be found. The tracking then started. I knew that he was hit hard and I had no intention on leaving him in there. Overall he traveled roughly 3 miles and expired. He was around a half a mile in on skidder road. Actually he was at the end of it and around 100 feet off it heading into a very large alder swamp. He expired just on the edge of it. We went to get my trailer and an atv to try and get him out. On the way she called my niece and told her excitedly that we have an eighteen pointer down and was going to get the trailer and the atv. They were bird hunting a few miles from where we had shot the moose and waited for us to get back with the trailer. Then we soon discovered that my atv wouldn’t haul the moose out. So her daughter’s boyfriend Who had an older Jeep with skid plates under it went down the skidder trail as close as he could and hauled it out for us.. The moose had 18 points with a 50 inch spread weighing 851.5 pounds. The 50 inch spread was done at the tagging station but it was actually scored at 51 inches. It never made no record but did go in The Biggest Bull Moose in Maine Club. It was an awesome hunt with a lot of work..