Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt >

Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt

Old 09-13-2020, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Mandatory Hunt Check Report with Idaho Fish and Game is tomorrow morning. Hide is thawing now. After the report, I値l tan the hide.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

How was the recovery? Any problems getting it out? Getting it home?

-Jake
Old 09-14-2020, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Recovery went well as can be expected for first bear. It was so heavy, maybe 250 to 300 pounds, but I had to call my father and ask him to come and help me load it up and field dress it. We were racing against the clock so the meat would not spoil.

I was able to get the skull and hide off for the check report. After that, it took two hours to process the bear.

I tell you, processing a bear is hard work. I never got that tired when I processed my last deer in 2018.

i値l send you a picture of the hide as soon as I fulfill the mandatory check report.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

in the future if you CARE, there are basic measurements that can be taken to give you a better idea on weight of a bear, its what many game depts do in the field when they trap and or tag bears and DON"T have access to a portable scale, or a scale in general!

I would take a guess at weight if you posted a few pictures, i'm NOT saying I am an expert, but I have been about weight of a few hundred or more bears over the yrs!, from live one's to dead one's
most folks tend to OVER guess weights on bears too , its the nature of the beast and they all feel heaver after dragging a bit or once at vehicle to load, they sure feel heavy at vehicle LOL

and just saying, as the pic posted isn't the best for guessing weight, but I will say I DON"T think its a 300 lbs one, no bash meant just being honest!, looks like a 2-2.5 yr old male to me!

IF you really wanted to know AGE you can send in a tooth and they will age it for you too!

this is also why I like how many states have bear check in stations, where they weight things, pull a tooth at many and will give you a report back on age, and any history they have on THE bear(many get trapped tagged or tattooed, so many times hunters can a get a history report back on the bear if ever trapped before, some Depts go as far as pulling DNA samples and keep on file too)
which to me I think is a great tool for depts to have and do, and gives hunters something back besides the bear!
wish more states did this on bears!

but any way you look at it, you got a fine bear and congrats to you, enjoy the whole experience, Not a lot of hunters can say they GOT a bear period, so your ahead of the curve there !

was your bear a male or female too?

Old 09-14-2020, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good. Thank you for all that advice. I値l see if I can get a picture of me with the bear uploaded. My laptop is still in the shop, taking longer than expected. I値l see if I can have Someone post the photo.

The mandatory hunt check went well. Everything turned out good. They told me this was likely a two or three-year-old bear.

Now I need a fleshing knife to get all the fat off, then I can proceed to tan it.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot to add, it was male.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Additional photos from J.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

again nice looking bear there and congrats to you
IF you wanted MY GUESS on weight
I am going to say some where in the 150 lb rage, , like I said, they always feel heavier when your dragging them out loading, or hanging them!

Also IMO that was a bear that most likely was kicked out from its mom's care last June( in yr 2019 , making it born in about Feb of 2018 )

again very well done, and ??
I Bet your glad you stuck with the plans to TRY bear hunting, over waiting till next yr!
best of luck on future hunts!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
again nice looking bear there and congrats to you
IF you wanted MY GUESS on weight
I am going to say some where in the 150 lb rage, , like I said, they always feel heavier when your dragging them out loading, or hanging them!

Also IMO that was a bear that most likely was kicked out from its mom's care last June( in yr 2019 , making it born in about Feb of 2018 )

again very well done, and ??
I Bet your glad you stuck with the plans to TRY bear hunting, over waiting till next yr!
best of luck on future hunts!
Thanks for the input. Fish and Game actually said it was probably 2 to 3 years old. Matches with what you said.

I really should be thanking you, you pushed me to keep going. With my depression and ADHD, it would致e been very difficult to keep going without your support and others. Thank you so much! I decided not to do a deer hunt this year. I think one big game animal is enough right now. Plus, I can稚 afford the tag at present time.

October 19 duck and goose opens here, which I知 reasonably good at. I値l probably wait for that now.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

well your more than welcome , I really enjoy helping others with hunting,a s over my life time I enjoyed it so much, I am glad to do what I can to help others find enjoyment and success in it if c an!
I personally feel if Hunters DON"T help other's find there ways in this sport, in time this sport will end up passing away, as were already at a big loss in numbers on those that hunt
if hunters don't stick together, I fear the worse for the future of hunting!
we all should be doing what we can to help others get started and enjoy it, or that's my view
so, IO always help when I can or at least try to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.