Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt >

Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt

Old 08-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the tip. I’ll be a lot more careful when I post pictures and videos. Don’t want someone ruining a spot! That’s actually one of the reasons why I decided to find multiple spots, in case one doesn’t work out for that reason.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure I heard a bear there. So it may be a good spot, it may not be. We’ll see what happens.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Jared
Old 08-08-2020, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I made a mistake. I just took a look at the Idaho big game regulations, and it turns out you need to be 200 yards away from any established roadway.

The spot I found was 100 yards. Glad I checked it out! Looks like the spot won’t work out after all. I’m gonna find a new one. This time, I won’t post pictures.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

posting pic;s is OK, just don't provide too much info on WHERE things are

and yes a 100 yards is pretty darn close
many do hunt that way and all, but I never been a guy that liked hearing vehicles while sitting on a stand!

but sure makes for easier recovery's HAHA!

like I also said in the beginning, have to read rule books as there can be a LOT of rules to meet when baiting, many states have very strict rules on even WHAT can be used as bait, so make extra care in knowing the exact rules

and some pl;aces even require notice of WHERE your baiting, so no one walks into a baited area NOT knowing so for THERE safety!

its not undo able to follow rules and all, just takes extra effort to learn all the rules and remember they can change from yr to yr and even be specific to one region over another, no one size fits all like deals in most states!
and they tend to vary from state to state!

Old 08-08-2020, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I’m being totally serious this time, and this is not depression, it’s another problem. I have to cancel the bear hunt. Here’s what happened. I went out to scout out a spot, ran into another bear Hunter who gave me advice on a spot. After taking a look around, I went home. When I got home, I learned that something happened, (I can’t say what) that affects my family financially. As a result, I can no longer afford the right type of rifle I was going to buy. I’m stuck with my Winchester 243. That’s not enough to take down a bear, as one of you guys said. I want it to be a clean kill, for safety, and be humane. In a nutshell, due to finances, and things out of my control, I have to cancel the bear hunt. HOWEVER, That won’t stop me from getting experience and going out and being in nature! It’ll give me plenty of time to study bears, and learn where a good spot is. And no, I have plenty of friends, but none of them have the right type of rifle. Most likely, I can try next spring. It all depends on when I get the rifle.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

well sorry to hear of the new hardships, they can happen to any of us,

I will add this, a .243 can surely kill a bear if you still wanted to use what you have, just pick a good heavy solid bullet known to work on bears and well, since hunting over bait, odds are you will have plenty of time to make a GOOD shot

JUST SAYING, not telling you to use it if your not confident in it!

and again, NO one says you have to SHOOT anything when hunting, you can always go out and enjoy the time a field and use it as gaining experience!
I hunted bears for years knowing I wouldn;t shoot one(and I had many times had bears in front of me and let them walk)
got a lot of clack from hunting buddies for doing this, but I just had NO intention or desire at the time to shoot one, but I did highly enjoy being out there and helping them get there bears!
and I know many of my friends over the yrs have given me credit for getting them on bears, and cannot tell you how many I helped get out of the woods once dead too(that part I DON"T miss HAHA)

so, just cause you don't have the RIGHT gun, doesn't mean you cannot still enjoy the hunt, and time a field and gaining e experience, as IN hunting season, animals patterns change and get altered as pressure starts up, so being OUT there IN hunting season, gets you experience on seeing WHO hunts where, and what and how the animals react to the NEW presence of hunters, and this can ONLY be learned while being out there IN hunting season
JUST again, be safe, and know the laws, MOST states require a LEGAL hunting lic and TAG if your carrying a weapon or HELPING others par take in the hunt
I hope your issue get's resolves sooner than later I can all too well understand things like this that pop up and add strain to a already stressful life

I will also add, that as hunting season gets closer, most ALL large hunting stores start to run some GREAT specials and sales on hunting rifles, many can be had with a scope and all for about 30 bucks in many GREAT larger calibers than your .243, if that is what you want! JUST saying, NOT telling to spend past your budget!!

Old 08-08-2020, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
well sorry to hear of the new hardships, they can happen to any of us,

I will add this, a .243 can surely kill a bear if you still wanted to use what you have, just pick a good heavy solid bullet known to work on bears and well, since hunting over bait, odds are you will have plenty of time to make a GOOD shot

JUST SAYING, not telling you to use it if your not confident in it!

and again, NO one says you have to SHOOT anything when hunting, you can always go out and enjoy the time a field and use it as gaining experience!
I hunted bears for years knowing I wouldn;t shoot one(and I had many times had bears in front of me and let them walk)
got a lot of clack from hunting buddies for doing this, but I just had NO intention or desire at the time to shoot one, but I did highly enjoy being out there and helping them get there bears!
and I know many of my friends over the yrs have given me credit for getting them on bears, and cannot tell you how many I helped get out of the woods once dead too(that part I DON"T miss HAHA)

so, just cause you don't have the RIGHT gun, doesn't mean you cannot still enjoy the hunt, and time a field and gaining e experience, as IN hunting season, animals patterns change and get altered as pressure starts up, so being OUT there IN hunting season, gets you experience on seeing WHO hunts where, and what and how the animals react to the NEW presence of hunters, and this can ONLY be learned while being out there IN hunting season
JUST again, be safe, and know the laws, MOST states require a LEGAL hunting lic and TAG if your carrying a weapon or HELPING others par take in the hunt
I hope your issue get's resolves sooner than later I can all too well understand things like this that pop up and add strain to a already stressful life

I will also add, that as hunting season gets closer, most ALL large hunting stores start to run some GREAT specials and sales on hunting rifles, many can be had with a scope and all for about 30 bucks in many GREAT larger calibers than your .243, if that is what you want! JUST saying, NOT telling to spend past your budget!!
thank you. I really appreciate it. To be honest, I don’t think I can spend past my budget. I think my best option for me and my family right now is to wait for spring season in 2021. By then, I’ll have the right equipment. Not that I’m disregarding what you’re saying, it’s just that I don’t think I have confidence or skill to place a shot just right with a 243 on a bear.

I might still get out and try it, though. As you said, since I’m baiting, I have plenty of time to place a good shot. Let me think for a couple of days, I’ll get back to you.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

mrbb I have a question for you. How many yards out should the bear be when I take it? Would it be wise to take it at about 100 yards? That way, if I miss the heart, The bear will not come after me and kill me?

i’ve been thinking about what you said, and this is the only thing stopping me from the bear hunt now. I can afford everything except the proper rifle.

Jared
Old 08-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

a 100 yards is for sure do able, but honestly, maybe less would be better, 50-75? this makes being more accurate easier on you, and allows for better judgement on size of bear, placing items near bait that help judge size is also a great idea

as for a bear attacking you after being shot, in my honest opinion, that is a super low deal, most all animals that get SHOT< then to do there best to get as far away from what just happened, over looking for what did ?? to them,
the more dangerous part of bear hunting IMO< is actually walking in on a bear AT a bait site that doesn't want to share or run off, or, like MOST all attacks from bear, they happen hen YOU scare THEM, meaning you got too close before they KNEW you were there (all the more so when its a sow with cubs) and, they have one of two options,
being flee or FIGHT
99.9% of the time they will flee
as again, bear attacks are honestly extremely RARE in the big picture of things!
bears just happen to be big strong powerful animals, but they do NOT look at humans as food 993.9% of the time and there NOT very aggressive animals by nature, there rather passive animals just wanting to eat sleep and survive, like every other animals in the forest, , there size , is what tends to scare HUMANS, and its just FEAR mostly for NO real reason
RESPECT, yes, you should respect ANY large animal, and like most things in life, Knowledge is power, more you know about any animal, better you can stay safe from them,!

SO< back to question, baiting, is MOST times done closer than a 100 yards, heck I would gather MOST is done under 50 yards

But what ever range you pick, just make sure the rifle is sighted in for that range, and pick a bullet that can handle impacts at THAT range the best!

NOT all bullets are made the a same way or designed to work at same ranges, for what you wish to do, I would be looking at heavier heads with more solid designs
but think about this, TONS of folks kill bears with bow's and arrows that have a fraction of the energy of a .243
the real name of the game is killing anything FAST< is hitting a major vital
lots of guys LIKE BIG calibers, it makes them feel SAFER or?? but most times there NOT needed, a BAD ghit from a small caliber or a BIG caliber, is still a BAD hit and can lead to a lost animal

I have shot Deer with BIG calibers and small, and sen many RUN after being hit with HUGE caliber rifles(including 50 BMG (750 grain heads, and with close to 14,000 FT LBS of energy and RUN off)
and seen small calibers drop same sized deer in there tracks, its always IMO, a combination of things, bullet placement, and well some times condition of the animal it self,. I swear some, animals just can run dead on there feet, but a good hit always ends ina dead animal
NOT so with poor hits, seen many make it days, weeks, months and even YRS after being hit poorly!
and have butchered and been working at butcher shops enough to see MANY animals with several hits in them where bullets and broadheads were grown over and animal was seemingly healthy before being finally killed with a well placed bullet/broadhead!(or a few that were road kills by vehicles and butchered up)

ain;t NO magic bullet or broadhead, no matter what hype or someone else tells you!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
a 100 yards is for sure do able, but honestly, maybe less would be better, 50-75? this makes being more accurate easier on you, and allows for better judgement on size of bear, placing items near bait that help judge size is also a great idea

as for a bear attacking you after being shot, in my honest opinion, that is a super low deal, most all animals that get SHOT< then to do there best to get as far away from what just happened, over looking for what did ?? to them,
the more dangerous part of bear hunting IMO< is actually walking in on a bear AT a bait site that doesn't want to share or run off, or, like MOST all attacks from bear, they happen hen YOU scare THEM, meaning you got too close before they KNEW you were there (all the more so when its a sow with cubs) and, they have one of two options,
being flee or FIGHT
99.9% of the time they will flee
as again, bear attacks are honestly extremely RARE in the big picture of things!
bears just happen to be big strong powerful animals, but they do NOT look at humans as food 993.9% of the time and there NOT very aggressive animals by nature, there rather passive animals just wanting to eat sleep and survive, like every other animals in the forest, , there size , is what tends to scare HUMANS, and its just FEAR mostly for NO real reason
RESPECT, yes, you should respect ANY large animal, and like most things in life, Knowledge is power, more you know about any animal, better you can stay safe from them,!

SO< back to question, baiting, is MOST times done closer than a 100 yards, heck I would gather MOST is done under 50 yards

But what ever range you pick, just make sure the rifle is sighted in for that range, and pick a bullet that can handle impacts at THAT range the best!

NOT all bullets are made the a same way or designed to work at same ranges, for what you wish to do, I would be looking at heavier heads with more solid designs
but think about this, TONS of folks kill bears with bow's and arrows that have a fraction of the energy of a .243
the real name of the game is killing anything FAST< is hitting a major vital
lots of guys LIKE BIG calibers, it makes them feel SAFER or?? but most times there NOT needed, a BAD ghit from a small caliber or a BIG caliber, is still a BAD hit and can lead to a lost animal

I have shot Deer with BIG calibers and small, and sen many RUN after being hit with HUGE caliber rifles(including 50 BMG (750 grain heads, and with close to 14,000 FT LBS of energy and RUN off)
and seen small calibers drop same sized deer in there tracks, its always IMO, a combination of things, bullet placement, and well some times condition of the animal it self,. I swear some, animals just can run dead on there feet, but a good hit always ends ina dead animal
NOT so with poor hits, seen many make it days, weeks, months and even YRS after being hit poorly!
and have butchered and been working at butcher shops enough to see MANY animals with several hits in them where bullets and broadheads were grown over and animal was seemingly healthy before being finally killed with a well placed bullet/broadhead!(or a few that were road kills by vehicles and butchered up)

ain;t NO magic bullet or broadhead, no matter what hype or someone else tells you!
Thanks. I appreciate all the help. That eased a LOT of my fears.

So, I’ll take your advice and sight my scope for 50 to 75.

Ill also practice my aim at the gun range.

Jared
Old 08-16-2020, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Good news. We made a miscalculation on finances, so the bear hunt is still on!

I went out and scouted out for some spots, I found two.

I picked up some ammunition to sight in my scope, the right type for bear. I’ll be using the same ammunition to hunt bear also. On the 25th, I am picking up my tag and baiting permit. On the 30th, the hunt is on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.