Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt >

Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho Fall Black Bear Hunt

Old 07-06-2020, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is your buddy out scouting? Also, what vehicle are you using for the hunt? If it's a pickup, there are some fairly inexpensive ways to get a heavy bear into your truck.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkman30
Is your buddy out scouting? Also, what vehicle are you using for the hunt? If it's a pickup, there are some fairly inexpensive ways to get a heavy bear into your truck.

First, you got to understand I dont have a pickup. I cant afford one at the present time.

However, I have a 1995 subaru legacy wagon with 4 wheel drive that is reliable 95% of the time. I brought home a field dressed deer in that car, as well as a lot of ducks and geese. It's a good hunting vehicle. Brought home plenty of kills in it. I don't know if it'll be able to handle a heavy bear or not, though. Never tried.

And also, no, my buddy is not scouting right now. He's been a little busy, and I want to scout with him. It will have to wait until after my nasal surgery.

Hope this answers your question.

Jared
Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aha. I was thinking if you have a truck or your buddy does, you can always use a come-along and a chain or thick rope to pull a bear up a ramp into the back of a truck. Might take a little more figuring to get one into the back of a Subaru. Does your buddy have a truck? Or do either of you have access to a trailer? Just throwing out some ideas to think about.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkman30
Aha. I was thinking if you have a truck or your buddy does, you can always use a come-along and a chain or thick rope to pull a bear up a ramp into the back of a truck. Might take a little more figuring to get one into the back of a Subaru. Does your buddy have a truck? Or do either of you have access to a trailer? Just throwing out some ideas to think about.
I do have a trailer, but I don't have a vehicle to tow it. Last one broke down and had to be sold.

anyway, I might be able to pick up a new vehicle that can tow it soon, but I have to figure some things out first. Finances, I'm sure you understand.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

J, get out there and hunt brother! We all started somewhere and everyone that's ever hunted had that first time experience with each new animal.

Don't hurt yourself financially worrying about a "hunting vehicle" lots of people have made do with what they have just fine.

Worst case, you'll have a fun time in the woods. Best case, you get "lucky" and bring home what you're after

Best thing you can do is get out there and learn it.

-Jake
Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
J, get out there and hunt brother! We all started somewhere and everyone that's ever hunted had that first time experience with each new animal.

Don't hurt yourself financially worrying about a "hunting vehicle" lots of people have made do with what they have just fine.

Worst case, you'll have a fun time in the woods. Best case, you get "lucky" and bring home what you're after

Best thing you can do is get out there and learn it.

-Jake
That's actually what my family does. We make do with the resources we have. Hunting vehicle or not, I'm going out to have fun the season.

Speaking of which, I'm planning on doing a deer hunt this hunting season also in October. I've hunted deer before, I don't need much advice on that. Took two in my life so far. After that, it's Duck and Goose season, my favorite. I've actually been working on my duck and Goose calling.

I'm getting off subject, back to the bear hunting subject.

As soon as I'm done recovering from my surgery, I'm going to scout out the spot with my buddy.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, you don't have to have every gadget under the sun to hunt and be good at it
I started hunting on foot, walking 3-4 hours some times to get places, THANK GOD< I never killed any deer on some of them early hunts LOL
but I sure did learn a LOT about deer, habitat they like, scouting,. finding them and then it also taught me the things I needed to add to be better equipped with what I could afford, as my budget back then was tiny if at all!

it also got me to meet and learn some things from others I ran into while hunting, heck my first deer I shot I was about 2 miles from my uncles house where I stayed at to hunt, walking every day from his place to where I hunted!
after the shot,(archery hunting)
I was at a loss almost as the shot wasn't the best and that deer ran for over a mile with me tracking it, the WRONG WAY from my uncles place
as I was walking out, after deciding to let it go and try and go find help!
I actually ran into a older guy I some what knew , he asked me how things were and what the HECK, I was doing so far from my uncles place,
I explained things and he helped me track and find that deer, drag it out to a old logging road in the woods and hauled it back to my uncles for me in his truck
Talk about getting lucky !

But I never let some of them WHAT IF"S stop me from going hunting and learning! and I am very glad I didn;t let them, as , I might have learned a lot of things the hard way by doing wrong, but it sure made me into a much better hunter IMO< due to them hard lessons learned, as you tend to remember them better than when every thing is giving to you easy!

so, just cause you DON"T have a truck or?? you can still go out and hunt and even NOT shoot anything and still learn a LOT, solo, or with others, doesn;t matter, its being OUT THERE that counts!

and as for your vehicle, maybe you can just add a trailer hitch to what you got, be the cheapest way, if you already have a trailer, and its not a BIG trailer, my friends use there Subaru to haul dirt bikes and atv's and even snowmobiles at times, they claim tow well and get great MPG''s too LOL

also something to keep in mind, many GAME dept's will HELP you recover a dead bear if you need help
I actually think its part of there JOB if they have time to
just like State troopers can help you change a flat tire, few maybe know this and maybe fewer will DO so if asked anymore, but at one time it was p[art of there JOB description! if not, they many times can at least help, get you help!
so, keep that in mind or look into it! be another option maybe for you if things go right!

Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
I agree, you don't have to have every gadget under the sun to hunt and be good at it
I started hunting on foot, walking 3-4 hours some times to get places, THANK GOD< I never killed any deer on some of them early hunts LOL
but I sure did learn a LOT about deer, habitat they like, scouting,. finding them and then it also taught me the things I needed to add to be better equipped with what I could afford, as my budget back then was tiny if at all!

it also got me to meet and learn some things from others I ran into while hunting, heck my first deer I shot I was about 2 miles from my uncles house where I stayed at to hunt, walking every day from his place to where I hunted!
after the shot,(archery hunting)
I was at a loss almost as the shot wasn't the best and that deer ran for over a mile with me tracking it, the WRONG WAY from my uncles place
as I was walking out, after deciding to let it go and try and go find help!
I actually ran into a older guy I some what knew , he asked me how things were and what the HECK, I was doing so far from my uncles place,
I explained things and he helped me track and find that deer, drag it out to a old logging road in the woods and hauled it back to my uncles for me in his truck
Talk about getting lucky !

But I never let some of them WHAT IF"S stop me from going hunting and learning! and I am very glad I didn;t let them, as , I might have learned a lot of things the hard way by doing wrong, but it sure made me into a much better hunter IMO< due to them hard lessons learned, as you tend to remember them better than when every thing is giving to you easy!

so, just cause you DON"T have a truck or?? you can still go out and hunt and even NOT shoot anything and still learn a LOT, solo, or with others, doesn;t matter, its being OUT THERE that counts!

and as for your vehicle, maybe you can just add a trailer hitch to what you got, be the cheapest way, if you already have a trailer, and its not a BIG trailer, my friends use there Subaru to haul dirt bikes and atv's and even snowmobiles at times, they claim tow well and get great MPG''s too LOL

also something to keep in mind, many GAME dept's will HELP you recover a dead bear if you need help
I actually think its part of there JOB if they have time to
just like State troopers can help you change a flat tire, few maybe know this and maybe fewer will DO so if asked anymore, but at one time it was p[art of there JOB description! if not, they many times can at least help, get you help!
so, keep that in mind or look into it! be another option maybe for you if things go right!
thanks. I appreciate all your advice so far.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, just so you all know, I had nasal surgery yesterday. I am in the recovery phase. I probably won't be able to scout for a spot for a couple of weeks until I recover.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

What do you use for deer hunting? Generally speaking, if it kills deer it will kill a bear just fine, though I agree a heavier caliber than .243 is wise....270, 30-06, .308, etc. all are good rounds (though I am partial to 45-70 ) Why not go out this fall? if you are deer hunting, shot placement is fundamentally the same, gutting is the same, you just need to figure the baiting angle out. ( I have always gone with an outfitter, and he took care of it). Just respect the meat. Bears are notoriously fatty, and the hot sun/warm temperatures can turn the meat easily, and the black hide soaks up the heat. Cool the meat as soon as you can and keep it out of the sun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.