Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting in Kellogg area >

Elk hunting in Kellogg area

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting in Kellogg area

Old 02-21-2020, 11:12 PM
Spike

Default Elk hunting in Kellogg area

Iam coming to Idaho for a second year from Australia to Bowhunt Elk , this year I would like to hunt from Kellogg into the Coeur D'Alene NF , Does anyone have any experiance in that area with Elk , looking on Google Earth there are loads of tracks and roads , it looks like beautiful country .
Old 02-22-2020, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

You can bet if there's easy access and roads that others will be there. Doesn't mean it's not a good area. But you won't be alone.

-Jake
Old 02-22-2020, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe check to see if any outfitters hunt in that area? If an outfitter is hunting there, you'd expect they think it's a decent area. They might even describe how they hunt, like using horses, etc. to get away from the crowds and vehicles, etc. Also check Idaho's DFG website to see what they have to say about the area. maybe call to speak with that area's biologist. I've spoken to Idaho wardens and game biologists at a local hunting expo (they travel out of state for these shows) and both were extremely helpful. The warden even had bull photos from successful hunters on his phone. He also hunted and was a lot of fun to talk to.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am not familiar with ID but have done a lot of elk hunting in both CO and WY. If you have roads, you will have competition. That doesn't mean the hunting will be bad but you will have to hunt smart. Elk near the roads have a short life expectancy if they stay there so they will head to the thickest and nastiest stuff around. Look for very steep country as far from the roads as possible and get into it before first shooting light on opening day. Let the other hunters run the game to you.

Both the bulls pictured above were taken in CO in an over the counter area doing what I just described.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:52 AM
Spike

Thank you for your advise
Old 02-24-2020, 02:53 AM
Spike

Thank you for your reply