HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   What are the best countries for big game hunting in Europe? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/422807-what-best-countries-big-game-hunting-europe.html)

decio 02-14-2020 07:33 PM

What are the best countries for big game hunting in Europe?

What are the best countries for big game hunting in Europe?

flags 02-15-2020 06:12 AM

Are you taking variety or cost? Probably the best bang for the buck is either Turkey or Bulgaria. Both have a good variety of game at a reasonable price. Spain has 3 different types of Ibex but they are pricey. You can get red deer, fallow deer and boar in nearly every country over there. Germany is good, but expensive. England has a lot of imported game that they do reasonably priced cull hunts on but trophy hunts are really expensive. France has a good selection at a fair price as does Poland. I did a driven red stag hunt in Portugal once and at the time it was a good value but don't know about the pricing in either there or Italy at the moment. Scotland is world famous for red stag but the quality of stags there is not what it is on the mainland but a hunt in the highlands is one of the world's best adventures.

MudderChuck 02-15-2020 11:44 AM

The Czech Republic has some decent hunting. That is where I usually go. Mouflon is my next hunt. When compared to a Bighorn hunt in the U.S. it is reasonable. Bulgaria also has a good reputation for trophy animals at a reasonable price. Red Deer are always going to be expensive, they are a popular hunt for rich Germans.

A buddy of mine shot a Sow in the Czech Republic, my best guess is four hundred pounds and near 8 feet long hanging by the hind legs. That sow was huge. I was hunting Roe Deer when a forty plus, wild Boar sounder showed up, Boar in the Czech Republic are considered pests and the cost to hunt them reflects that. The same with Lynx, pretty much shoot on sight. A buddy of mine harvested a Mouflon, the trophy cost him around $1400.

Norway, Sweden and Finland have Moose. Not as large as an American/Canadian Moose but still respectable. I like Norway because English speakers are common and they welcome tourists. Fishing in Norway is great if you want to combine your trip.

The Scandinavian countries are civilized and you are much less likely to run into problems. Bulgaria is relatively safe, Romania not so much.

Stonewall308 02-15-2020 12:33 PM

Hey MudderChuck, do you have a lead on any outfitters for Mouflon? I am looking at doing something (no sure what) in 2021 or 22. Thanks.

decio 02-15-2020 04:49 PM

I used to think Hungary, Romania, Montenegrro, Estonia and Russia were the best countries for big game.

Thanks for answering, guys.

MudderChuck 02-15-2020 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 4370804)
Hey MudderChuck, do you have a lead on any outfitters for Mouflon? I am looking at doing something (no sure what) in 2021 or 22. Thanks.

I'm shopping for an outfitter also. I'll ask around for recommendations. My guide died of a heart attack, good guy RIP.

BCHunterfsj 04-12-2020 09:04 AM

I had a very successful mouflon hunt in Slovakia.

Justin308win 03-01-2021 10:53 PM

My opinion best countries for hunting are Poland and Hungary in the Europe