Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming elk

Old 01-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wyoming elk

It is time to make my first license application for the 2020 season. First up to bat is the Wyoming elk application. The deadline for non residents is January 31st. It looks like I have about a 50/50 chance to draw my first choice unit but with point creep it really is a roll of the dice anymore. Two years ago a unit that I was watching for the future could be drawn with six to seven points, and last year it took at least ten.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Good Luck.

Wife and I got lucky last year with only a 27% chance.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. Pulling a 27% tag is great luck indeed. I would immediately buy a lottery ticket if I ever drew such a long odds tag.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I wish all western states would look into fixing the point creep issue for the benefit of sportsmen. Allowing it to continue just generates more money so I doubt things will change. Eventually it will get so top heavy it will crash and then something will be done.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt that we will see any major changes in the point systems as long as the states are selling all the licenses they want to sell. The license prices are high and the states are making a nice profit by selling points to guys that want those licenses. The Colorado system of also having to buy another license is hard to stomach but they are making record profits since the change.

I hope to end up with two Wyoming elk tags this year (including the reduced price cow/calf tag). I will have to think really hard about applying in Colorado..
Old 01-31-2020, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Point creep is driven by supply/demand so how would you suggest fixing it? The more hunters that apply the higher the points creep goes.