Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Old 01-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

We'd love to read about your preparation as you go, and especially your hunt and how it goes.

-Jake
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

September is an excellent time for using the bull grunts on them. They work best early in the morning or just before dark. Also the temperatures shouldn’t be very bad either. The temperatures maybe warmer than you prefer but the moose will still be moving getting ready for the upcoming rut.. Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted on how things went. It’s beautiful country up that way.. Most importantly enjoy your hunt..
Old 01-24-2020, 04:30 AM
Spike

Well, I've begun preparations for our hunt. My nephew Travis will be hunting with me as well. It will be 1/1 guided hunt in the Twin Lakes region of NL. I have Savage 110E in 270 win, and a Savage Axis II XP heavy barrel 308 win, but the outfitter told me they are not enough gun past 150 yds. I've taken several whitetails with the 270 in Kentucky, but have not yet shot the 308. In the interest of maximizing chance for a quick, clean kill I bought a Tikka T3X lite chambered in 300 win mag. I will put a Leupold VX R 3-9x50 scope on it with the fire-dot. Now to find a good factory ammo to sight-in with. I will let you know how that goes. Should have the scope and rings next week. I have a 100 yd indoor range a short drive from my house. I'll check in along the way.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 AM
Spike

Good choice on the Tikka 300 win mag
Old 01-27-2020, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

The people that have and shoot tikkas speak highly of them. And that .300 will certainly do the job.

-Jake
Old 01-31-2020, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

270 cal. not enough gun over 150 yards. that is hard to believe.

How many elk have been killed with a 270 over 300 yards.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 270sniper
270 cal. not enough gun over 150 yards. that is hard to believe.

How many elk have been killed with a 270 over 300 yards.
Lots!

​​​​​​-Jake
Old 02-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Moose are not hard to kill. Shoot what you shoot best, but longish shots are likely, but my last one was about 65 yards. Sight your gun in with whatever is on sale, then try a box or two of different premium. Moose are a big target, even aiming small. Find out from the outfitter what the terrain is that you are going to be in, for the best type of footwear, bring good rainwear and good binoculars. Ask if his camps have mattresses or foam pads....a lot of the back country camps just have eggshell foam, which isn't the greatest. If so, bring your own thermocell inflatable mattress to go with it. Sleeping on hard boards can really put a bad spin on your trip if you cant sleep. Be sure without excuses that you also spend range time at 2oo yards. We brought 3 100 quart coolers apiece for our meat each. Depending on wastage (which can be quite high with field boned meat) we had about 300 lbs before the butcher trimming, with about a 25% loss there. Find out ahead of time if their butcher vacuum wraps, just to be sure.
What part of the island are they on?
Old 02-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hey good luck on your hunt! I'd be very interested to hear your impressions as I am looking into booking a hunt in 2021 or 2022 and have considered Newfoundland moose (as well as Africa). Please keep us updated, and if anyone else has an outfitter recommendation please PM as well.

Thanks!