Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM
Spike

Default Newfoundland Moose Hunt

My wife just gave the go ahead to book a moose hunt. Does anyone have recommendation for outfitter in Newfoundland?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

No, but you better treat her extra nice for a while!

We have a few guys here with some moose experience that can give you some info I think. They'll be along eventually...

-Jake
Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

How does that work? Is it over-the-counter?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe the outfitters have a tag allotment. You have to have an outfitter and they work the tags into their fees. When i hunted there they helped fill out the tag info when we got to the lodge. Unless it has changed I think that is how it works.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

We have gone with Patey and Sons on the northern peninsula twice, once in 2015 and once in 2018. Very professional,well organized, we liked our guides. It is a fly in one on one guided hunt all inclusive. Guaranteed tags. We went the first week of the season each time, and probably would go later..even a week or two. Last year it was very warm, which was very limiting to the moose. 3 hunters in camp, two bulls taken and I passed on one early, settled for a cow on the last day. I would love to go again and highly recommend them. Just the fly in made the trip for me...going in was by their chopper, out by the DE Havilland Beaver.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 AM
Spike

Was a dream buck list hunt of mine that went nowhere near what I thought it would. There are a ton of outfitters up there so good luck narrowing one down. In my opinion, the moose population is severely over stated. The outfitters seem to only look at clients as cash cows and they try to shuffle as many through camp per week as possible. I could nearly count on one hand every moose I saw in an entire week of dawn to dusk hunting. You were urged to shoot the first moose seen within reasonable distance of a road. The outfitter's statement of, "Oh there are 35" bulls everywhere", turned into not being able to produce a single one for me. And if you're anywhere near the meat processor in Cormack, PLEASE reconsider having your animal processed there. Google the results for them and you'll understand. All this being said, I've only been once with one outfitter so take what I say at will. You'll get opinions on all ends of the spectrum. Just do A LOT of research before you settle and set your expectations on a meat hunt vs trophy hunt and you may be alright.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moose Valley and Bob Effords are two that have a good reputation.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got some friends that went this past Fall, they shot moose, a black bear, & a caribou. Can find out more from them if you'd like?
Old 01-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

While can’t speak much about Newfoundland. I can say wishing you the best of luck. I was reading comments and saw where someone had bad luck. While I don’t know all the circumstances around it. I can say that’s moose hunting. Here during the October hunt up in the northern part of the state you almost had to push the cows out of the road. But during the cow hunt in November they were lucky if they even saw a cow or any moose for that matter. A week after the hunt and they were back out on the roads again. No one really understands why but they do that..

If you haven’t found anything my wife has relatives in New Brunswick and they can surely recommend a few guides from Newfoundland . Again good luck.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:17 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies. I have booked a hunt with A-1 Hunts in Twin Lakes NL. for the week of 9/20-9/25 2020. Already started getting gear together and tweaked for the weather there..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.