Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Dream hunt-would you shoot? >

Dream hunt-would you shoot?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dream hunt-would you shoot?

Old 02-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

I would shoot the moose and be thrilled, do all the work, then enjoy the fishing. Would not hear one complaint from me.

Also, there are areas where you can add a bear tag for very cheap, so if you shoot one on the first day you can keep hunting.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
I look at it slightly different from most here. It all depends on what the goal of going on the trip is. Is it to get a moose (or whatever), or have an experience to look back on and smile. Yes they can be one and the same. I know on my first elk hunt my fear was I would get a bull right away, this was offset by the fact that my wife was my hunting partner so I could still hunt, never happened, but I can understand why after looking forward to the moose hunt for years, having a vision of what it would be then it working out just to easy, yes, I can see regretting pulling that trigger.

Wife and I went to the same outfit twice for combo antelope/mulie hunts. 5 day hunts. First trip the entire camp, 10 hunters, were done by day 2. Wife and I both got nice mulie bucks on day 1 and antelope on day 2. We spent the rest of the time exploring the area. I was somewhat less than as happy as I hoped (don't get me wrong, had a blast, but was very sorry it was over). the hunting was "easy", private 50,000 acre ranch. Glass mostly from the truck, couple of blown stalks, but overall easy. I shot my deer and antelope within yards of the truck. Second time we went we told the guide the fun for us was in the stalk, so even if he found us MONSTERS we could shoot from next to the truck we would pass. He was fine with this. We still were done in less than 2 days, and we each filled a deer, buck antelope and doe antelope. We were hurrying a bit due to bad weather. Once done, I did go along to help glass for another hunter who wasn't done.

Yes, I can see regretting that decision, the experience he looked forward to didn't happen. For some its about the meat, some the experience often somewhere in between.

the old "don't pass on day 1..." saying mostly reflects to the hunter who has a standard he wants. For me, I WOULD pass on day 1 if I just wanted to keep hunting.
I can agree with you on some of this, and why I always say this is why you should ask your outfitter a LOT of questions BEFORE you book or go, this way your all on same page on what is expected of the hunt, and of each other

as NOT telling a outfitter what you want can lead to issue's
as if they get you on a GOOD animal day one and you pass, your now making them work more when they don't need to and pending THERE rules, could lead to you ending your hunt, if there only job was to get you ona animal and nothings ays they have to keep going
don't laugh, some outfitters cn a get personal fast! when you pass!

BUT if you all talked ahead of time, and the deal is you wish to have a experience over just killing day one
then I see no reason any outfitter wouldnl;t work with you, might even take you to lesser odds area's but one's that had more scenery for you to enjoy, yet still have a chance ,

But flip side of things is, what if you pas up a animal day one and bad weather moves in rest of hunt< locking you in
your sure going to experience the great out doors in BAD weather, and go home empty handed, and maybe NOT even get the experience you dreamed of??
outfitters have no power over weather!?