HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   The bears are still wandering in our hardwood ridges. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/422164-bears-still-wandering-our-hardwood-ridges.html)

Phil from Maine 11-15-2019 12:31 AM

The bears are still wandering in our hardwood ridges.

2 Attachment(s)
<div style="text-align:left;">Yesterday morning the temperature hit a low of 1 degree and a high of 24 here. Today it is supposed to be in the low 40s. But the bears are still moving around just the same. I thought that they would be in hybernation right now. That’s not the case at all this year. I can shoot one while deer hunting but do not care for the taste of them. They say that because there is so much natural food they are staying out longer. I am not sure why. My wife still wants me to shoot one just the same. She wants a rug made out of it. I suppose I could and donate the meat from it to a food pantry or something. So who knows maybe if one comes out and wanders in front of me. They are legal with just a big game license during deer season.. Anyway here’s a couple of pictures of the tracks crossing a road that I was on.</div>

mackesr 11-15-2019 02:58 AM

As cold as it is up there you would think the bears would be holed up for the winter as you stated. Obviously not all of them. I wonder if its what they are eating that makes them taste poorly to you. I have eaten quite a bit of bear meat from ones killed here in Va. and they have always tasted good to me. Most have been eating in the corn fields so that probably has a lot to do with it. I have heard others say that they also didnt care for bear meat. I grilled a big chunk of bear backstrap at my sisters one year for Christmas and everyone liked it, especially my niece. She had four helpings and said it tasted like the best roast beef she had ever had. She knew it was bear too.

mrbb 11-15-2019 05:44 AM

bears are still active here, all these darn temps swings, has them all messed up anymore

it was 70 on Monday here, 11 degree on Tuesday, and calling for temps back up in the 50's next week

I had a female bear get hit by a vehicle, and now have two cubs hanging out at my place, as well as a third orphaned cub that was orphaned back in June
another female with 2 cubs, and two small male bears
so, that makes 11 bears here still NOT denned up.

our traditional Bear season starts again i beginning of Dec too, , and with these warm temps anymore, a lot of them females that would normally be denned up, will be active
the state want's to drop bear numbers, and this yr they sure are going to with DOUBLE the amount of hunting days, hope they don;t get MORE Than they wanted and end up on the flip side of bear numbers
I know my local hunting clubs by me, that normally get 1-2 bears , have gotten 6 so far this yr and the main season hasn't started yet ?
But bears here are still very active and out and about!

Phil from Maine 11-15-2019 02:26 PM

Here they are typically denned up by now. But we have had some mixed weather. I know at times they will get up and dig something up in February during a week of thawing. But even then it is not all that common. The state here is trying to get more bear hunters out there during our near season. They say we are over populated with them. I think it is because most of us don’t hunt them. It all goes back to the taste of them I think. But if we have a chance happening of bumping into one while deer hunting would shoot one. Then donate the meat away.

Phil from Maine 11-15-2019 02:28 PM

Yeah mackesr they probably do taste a little different from being around corn? I really wouldn’t know for sure. They say that moose around the broccoli fields up north taste different as well??

Rob in VT 11-15-2019 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two weeks ago they were out. We now have snow and cold here in Vermont so they may be denned up now.

mrbb 11-15-2019 04:01 PM

bears are not true hibernators and as such they can be up and about any time of the yr, they typically den due to low food supply in winter
so honestly, a Black bear can be about all winter if food is available to do so
NOW sow's that are pregnant do den more for the fact there going to give birth and its a instinct I gather for them to den, to have a safer place for the young to be born in and go=row to a age they can move about come spring and be safe from weather and predators
most timbering happens here in winter time and it rather common for timber guys to disturb bears and have them walking about looking for new places to sleep
I have seen them active here in 3+ ft of snow and temps in minus 20's
I have found many Male bears also over the yrs sleeping on top of ground covered in snow, no den or crawl space, just laid down fell a sleep and called it good enough I guess LOL
personally my 2 cents on why they doubled the season for bears here, is more about lic sales than anything else,
the state here has been taking a LOT of hits ion loosing hunters and that means a lost of LOST income
adding more seasons and chances at things like bears, will sell more lic/tags, and help the state to get back some of what it lost, since the deer numbers dropped and so did lic sales
I will admit, with so much urban sprawl into places bears lived, the state also has to be getting more complaints about bears(deer too)
as city folks move into the woods and then cry about wildlife !

JW 11-15-2019 05:57 PM

I captured a small black bear Nov 6 on trail cam. It was 5F and the bear traveled thru at midnight. So they are still active.
North East Wi.

JW

Ridge Runner 11-16-2019 02:35 AM

male bears do not hibernate here in wv, may lay up a few days during bad weather, but will not den up. the sows that have cubs or gonna have cubs do however den up.
RR

Phil from Maine 11-17-2019 01:08 PM

Here they normally den up within the first week of November. But we had a bumper food crop this fall and some guides are saying that is why the boats are still out and about?? I know this past Friday the temperatures were up in the high 30s and no sign of movement. Then yesterday the average daytime temp was 17 and a bear run across the road ahead of me going up the hardwood ridge. I am not sure why as my guess would of been the opposite. Either way they are still moving around.