HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Our moose hunt went well today! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/421944-our-moose-hunt-went-well-today.html)

Phil from Maine 10-14-2019 02:40 PM

Our moose hunt went well today!

2 Attachment(s)
Well all my moose season started and ended this morning’s my with an awesome bull hitting the ground. It has been a very long day though. I shot the bull at 6:30 this morning which was only 15 minutes into our hunt. It went down like it was hit with a hammer! As I was walking in to where it was it got back up and started running. I fired two more times and it kept on a going. I tracked it for another two hours with blood everywhere. Finally I had found it almost three miles from where I shot it at. It was roughly a mile and a half in the woods. But buy 2:00 pm we where heading to the tagging station. Our bull was 18 points with a 50 inch spread tipping the scales at 851.5 pounds. That surely is a bull of a lifetime. He came in with a cow/calf grunt tube. I never needed anything else! It truly was a hunt of a lifetime Cal and truly more work getting him out than I cared for..

Bocajnala 10-14-2019 03:00 PM

Man am I glad to see this Phil!

What a bull and sounds like an exciting hunt as well. What rifle and round were you shooting? That's a very nice bull.

I've rotated and attached your photos here.

-jake

Phil from Maine 10-14-2019 03:12 PM

Thank you Jake.. I shot it with a 30-06 using 165 grain bullets. I honestly couldn’t believe it got back up! I was only around 10 feet from it when it did that trick on me. So I am thinking maybe in the rush of the moment I may have over shot it with those two shots? I really don’t know how it got back up and took off like it did..

Champlain Islander 10-14-2019 03:21 PM

Congrats Phil on a great looking moose. Sounds like a real hunt of a lifetime.

mrbb 10-14-2019 03:21 PM

congrats to you, bet you have a lot of freezers, or new friends LOL

Phil from Maine 10-14-2019 03:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
<div style="text-align:left;">Thanks guys! Here’s a couple of more pictures of him..</div>

Rob in VT 10-14-2019 04:22 PM

Way to go Phil! Very nice bull and a memory you will not soon forget. Congrats.

Bocajnala 10-14-2019 06:11 PM

I've heard that moose is some of the best eating there is.

You'll have to let us know how you like it Phil.

You also owe your sister a nice Christmas present this year for making you her sub.

-Jake

CalHunter 10-14-2019 09:33 PM

Congrats Phil!!! That is an awesome looking bull. Lots of good memories for this one. :D

Phil from Maine 10-15-2019 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you everyone!

Yes Jake I couldn’t have gotten this one if it wasn’t for my sister. She had the permit and knew that I would not have let her down. So she made me her sub and I did all the work to have this happen. The day before (Sunday) while scouting I saw a cow and calf. So I took advantage of them and tried two different grunt tubes. A bull grunt which made the hair go up on their back. That made them start moving away. Then I used a cow/calf grunt and the both turned towards me. That told me to stay with the cow/calf grunt. So they were a big help in deciding which call was best to use. It was quite foggy yesterday morning so we waited until the fog started lifting. I gave a couple of calls while we waited. As the fog lifted I saw him standing there. He looked like a big pile of brush. So I grabbed my binoculars and took a look. My sister says that is not a moose and I told her to be quiet as I grabbed the rifle and my clip and got out. The rest is now history as that tracking took me a while to find him. Anyway here is a picture of the cow and calf that helped me choose the call..

Timbrhuntr 10-15-2019 06:25 AM

Great hunt congats on the bull ! When I used to hunt moose with a rifle we decided to go with 700 win mags or 338 with heavier bullets as alot of the guys shooting the 30-06 and 270s with lighter bullets seemed to have lost moose on long tracks but the heavier calibre seemed to drop them pretty quick.

Phil from Maine 10-15-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4362656)
I've heard that moose is some of the best eating there is.
-Jake

I can tell you that I had my wife cooked up some inner loin for us and some company and it was awesome tasting. There’s nothing like some nice chemical free food from the forest..

Phil from Maine 10-15-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr (Post 4362676)
Great hunt congats on the bull ! When I used to hunt moose with a rifle we decided to go with 700 win mags or 338 with heavier bullets as alot of the guys shooting the 30-06 and 270s with lighter bullets seemed to have lost moose on long tracks but the heavier calibre seemed to drop them pretty quick.

Thank you.. I dropped him on the first shot which appears to be a little low on the neck. I saw him thrashing trying to get up and went in hoping to get behind him for a behind the ear shot. But I was on the wrong side of him. I couldn’t believe it when he got up and I was only about ten feet from him. He was looking straight at me. I thought he was going to charge me or something and fired halfway between his eyes and his nose. It was a direct hit and he turned and went the other way. I fired as he was leaving and missed on that one. But I could of gotten the 180 grain bullets and maybe done better? I think his adrenaline had him go so far. The blood trail was unbelievable so I am not so sure a heavier rifle would of made much difference.

unclefish 10-16-2019 02:01 AM

Nice job.
moose meat is 1 of the best.
Freezer should be 3/4 filled now.

mackesr 10-16-2019 08:18 AM

Congratulations Phil on a great hunt!! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Phil from Maine 10-17-2019 03:10 AM

Thank you all again..

Oldtimr 10-17-2019 04:32 AM

Lots of good eats. Congrats.

rogerstv 10-17-2019 09:02 AM

Congratulations.Moose is certainly on my bucket list.

The fact that one person can draw a tag and another legally fill it seems strange to me. Is this a "party" hunt? Guess it goes with the territory/state such as baiting. Seems this practice puts more people in the draw than actual hunters thereby reducing odds of drawing a tag.

Maybe someone can explain the reasoning to me. I'm simply not experienced with this practice. No malice intended.

Phil from Maine 10-17-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by rogerstv (Post 4362835)
Congratulations.Moose is certainly on my bucket list.

The fact that one person can draw a tag and another legally fill it seems strange to me. Is this a "party" hunt?

Maybe someone can explain the reasoning to me. I'm simply not experienced with this practice. No malice intended.

No not really a party hunt at all. A permit holder can have a sub accompany them and do actual shooting if desired. Both can carry a weapon with them. The permitee must be present when the shooting takes place. Meaning you are required to be in sight of each other. In our woods up here you really have to be close. Both can actually do the shooting as several others have done in the past. Some will not go down easy so one can be the backup shooter. With suck a big animal you really do not want them to go far. I did all the scouting as well the shooting we never had anybody looking for us. I do know of some that have others scouting different areas for them. A lot of them are road hunters and end up skunked. The only real way of getting one is to learn how to call them and to know which call works best at which time.

Phil from Maine 10-19-2019 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a picture of the antlers to try and show how big they are. With the 50 inch spread it’s a pretty big spread for Maine moose. They are not as big as an Alaskan moose. I guess mostly I am proud of my accomplishment.

Bocajnala 10-19-2019 02:46 AM

They sure look big to me Phil!

How were you able to get it out whole? And is that a requirement in Maine? Or are you allowed to quarter them and pack them out?

-Jake

Phil from Maine 10-19-2019 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4362962)
They sure look big to me Phil!

How were you able to get it out whole? And is that a requirement in Maine? Or are you allowed to quarter them and pack them out?

-Jake

we are allowed to pack them out as long as we notify the game warden and explain the reason. They really don’t mind but do need to know. That’s because of poachers and the like and they won’t be chasing down a legal kill. But, there’s a lot of us that are still old fashion and enjoy seeing them get weighed and the like. Most all our game is weighed dressed out. So the 851.5 pounds is dressed weight.

We called my niece who’s boy friend has an old Jeep with skid plates under it. I had him drive down a skidder trail as close as he could and turn it around. Then run ropes to it and a pulley to help get it by trees. Then once in the skidder road shorten the ropes up. We also wrapped one antler with some of the rope. When pulled the head turned allowing the antlers to run up and down. The rope tied on the antler cause that one to tip slightly upwards on the end. Then got the moose into a rut made by those big skidder tires and it was pulled all the way out like that.

Timbrhuntr 10-19-2019 07:11 AM

It is the same in New Brunswick were the resident moose licence holder can designate another hunter to hunt with them. Again nice moose I would be proud of it too !
The last time I hunted moose I went with a new group and they wanted to drag the moose out whole. I had never done this and was against it . They did it anyway and when they got the moose back to camp and hung it the one side was like ground burger . They had dragged it down a gravel road and wore right through the hide and into the meat ruiniung over a whole quarter.

Phil from Maine 10-19-2019 10:56 AM

We drag ours down a skidder trail which was small brush and mud. No damage to any of it. Once it came to the dirt road I had my Jeep with a trailer there waiting for us to get it onto it. We pulled it on it using the Jeep that brought it up and a tow chain. My ATV wouldn’t pull it.

Mickey Finn 10-20-2019 07:32 AM

Congratulations Phil that's a fine moose.

Phil from Maine 10-20-2019 02:30 PM

Thank you Mickey

Phil from Maine 11-23-2019 10:37 AM

Well guys I sent out to see if I could get entered in Maine's Moose Hunting club.. Yes! I did as I never read the rules until after my patch arrived.. I received a patch and a decal. To get the patch your moose must weigh in at 800 pounds or bigger and only the shooter can get the patch. So now I have three of Maine's patches presented by the Maine Sportsman and I think they all go great together..

Erno86 11-23-2019 10:55 AM

Congrats Phil...and a heckuva of a tracking job.

Phil from Maine 11-23-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Erno86 (Post 4365262)
Congrats Phil...and a heckuva of a tracking job.

Thank you Erno86.. It was a lot of time but found him after an hour and a half.. Then the real work started, but we got it done..
I also feel very fortunate as hard as those moose tags are to come by and be able to hunt with my sister and get such a nice moose to boot..

the blur 11-23-2019 08:51 PM

Where was the 1st shot?
I once shot an Elk, high. Cow went right down. Then got up 1 minute later. Turned out it was just below the spine, and when the shock wore off,.. she got up again !! My 2nd shot was through the lungs, and that was it.

Memtb2149 11-24-2019 05:19 AM

Congratulations Phil! Real nice bull, great story about your quick success. You put in a pretty good day of work! :happy0001: Our moose, never look like that when we get them back to the truck....they’re usually in bags, tied to a pack frame! memtb

Phil from Maine 11-24-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by the blur (Post 4365286)
Where was the 1st shot?
I once shot an Elk, high. Cow went right down. Then got up 1 minute later. Turned out it was just below the spine, and when the shock wore off,.. she got up again !! My 2nd shot was through the lungs, and that was it.

The first shot was in the neck. It missed the spine and a little high for anything vital. The second shot was around halfway between his eyes and the tip of his nose. That was a rapid shot as I was only around ten feet from him when he got up. He was lowering his head which is a sign of a charge coming. So I waisted no time in taking that shot. Then I tried to hit a behind the shoulder shot as he was slightly quartering away while running. I missed that shot with the rush of the moment and the adrenaline running through me at the time. Also our superintendent and a buddy with him from Ohio shot a big bull the last day of the week we hunted. That bull got back up and charged them. His buddy was thrown four or five feet from it. He was roughed up pretty good but was alright minus two broken ribs. The superintendent was his sub and opened fired on it as it was running down the side of a small mountain. He shot it a few times a n the hinds before it went down again and pretty much lost the hinds of it. I had avoided shooting at his hinds.. These big bruins go down hard sometimes and you have to be alert..

Phil from Maine 11-24-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Memtb2149 (Post 4365303)
Congratulations Phil! Real nice bull, great story about your quick success. You put in a pretty good day of work! :happy0001: Our moose, never look like that when we get them back to the truck....they’re usually in bags, tied to a pack frame! memtb

Thank you! I think it is something us Mainers are accustomed to. We have always tried to bring our game out whole and get them weighed.. So yes with such a large animal it is a lot of work..

bowedark 12-06-2019 08:53 AM

some for the best meat

Phil from Maine 01-22-2020 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by bowedark (Post 4366086)
some for the best meat

Thank you!

Phil from Maine 01-22-2020 03:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
While I never made Boone and Crockett and the like with my antlers. I did make it in the Biggest Bull in Maine Club up here! The size of him is what put me in it. The minimum size requirements is $800 pounds dressed weight. So yes I have made it in one of the clubs anyway.. So at least I can shoot the bull. 😂

Shonswer 01-29-2020 07:53 PM

Congratulations! Very nice moose.

Phil from Maine 02-05-2020 01:49 AM

Thank you shonswer