Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Our moose hunt went well today! >

Our moose hunt went well today!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Our moose hunt went well today!

Old 11-24-2019, 05:19 AM
Spike

Congratulations Phil! Real nice bull, great story about your quick success. You put in a pretty good day of work! Our moose, never look like that when we get them back to the truck....they’re usually in bags, tied to a pack frame! memtb
Old 11-24-2019, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by the blur
Where was the 1st shot?
I once shot an Elk, high. Cow went right down. Then got up 1 minute later. Turned out it was just below the spine, and when the shock wore off,.. she got up again !! My 2nd shot was through the lungs, and that was it.
The first shot was in the neck. It missed the spine and a little high for anything vital. The second shot was around halfway between his eyes and the tip of his nose. That was a rapid shot as I was only around ten feet from him when he got up. He was lowering his head which is a sign of a charge coming. So I waisted no time in taking that shot. Then I tried to hit a behind the shoulder shot as he was slightly quartering away while running. I missed that shot with the rush of the moment and the adrenaline running through me at the time. Also our superintendent and a buddy with him from Ohio shot a big bull the last day of the week we hunted. That bull got back up and charged them. His buddy was thrown four or five feet from it. He was roughed up pretty good but was alright minus two broken ribs. The superintendent was his sub and opened fired on it as it was running down the side of a small mountain. He shot it a few times a n the hinds before it went down again and pretty much lost the hinds of it. I had avoided shooting at his hinds.. These big bruins go down hard sometimes and you have to be alert..
Old 11-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Memtb2149
Congratulations Phil! Real nice bull, great story about your quick success. You put in a pretty good day of work! Our moose, never look like that when we get them back to the truck....they’re usually in bags, tied to a pack frame! memtb
Thank you! I think it is something us Mainers are accustomed to. We have always tried to bring our game out whole and get them weighed.. So yes with such a large animal it is a lot of work..
Old 12-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Spike

some for the best meat
Old 01-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bowedark
some for the best meat
Thank you!
Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I never made Boone and Crockett and the like with my antlers. I did make it in the Biggest Bull in Maine Club up here! The size of him is what put me in it. The minimum size requirements is $800 pounds dressed weight. So yes I have made it in one of the clubs anyway.. So at least I can shoot the bull. 😂
Attached Thumbnails Our moose hunt went well today!-1301571b-5bbe-4243-a7c7-d93f0a7e24ff.jpeg   Our moose hunt went well today!-22141bf8-7869-45fb-8ba0-a2a0144661c6.jpeg  

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 01-22-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:53 PM
Spike

Congratulations! Very nice moose.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you shonswer